comp.lang.python

Re: threaded http server

Steve Holden

2/20/2008 10:34:00 PM

bharath venkatesh wrote:
> hi,
> will this twisted,turbo gear etc help me to create a http server that
> can serve multiple clients concurrently....

Yes. Google for the projects and do some reading, they are all serving
large web sites with sometimes havy demand.

> and also the http server which i want to create in my project will not
> be doing any IO (it is not like frontend and backend ).. but it will
> act as a image_proxy_server i.e when a client wants an image it will do
> a http request to my http server if the image is present in cache it
> will fetch it directly from cache and return it to the client as an
> http reponse otherwise it fetch from www and store it cache and
> also return it to the client as an http response so basically i want to
> serve many clients concurrently in fast n efficient manner

Sorry: reading from and writing to the network *is* I/O (the data is
outside the proess, isn't it?).

This might be OK as a learning exercise, but if you just need this in
production as quickly as possible I would imagine some combination of
Squid and Apache would meet your needs very nicely.

> On Feb 20, 2008 5:51 AM, Christian Heimes <lists@cheimes.de
> <mailto:lists@cheimes.de>> wrote:
>
> bharath venkatesh wrote:
> > hi
> > i want to create fast n efficient http server which serve multiple
> > client concurrently .. so i thought of threading the http server
> using
>
> Threads ain't efficient for IO bound problems like a HTTP server. Most
> OSs have far better ways to deal with IO bound applications like
> select(), poll(), epoll(), kqueue() or IOCP.
>
> Use Twisted :)

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC http://www.hold...