comp.lang.python

Why the result same as before modifing py files

zaley

2/20/2008 8:28:00 AM

In my C++ program ,python is embeded . I import One module(py file)
and execute some functions .Then I modify py files in order to modify
func parameters when process is still running .I import the module and
execute functions again.But I find the result is same as before
32 Answers

Helmut Jarausch

zaley wrote:
> In my C++ program ,python is embeded . I import One module(py file)
> and execute some functions .Then I modify py files in order to modify
> func parameters when process is still running .I import the module and
> execute functions again.But I find the result is same as before

'import' is cached. If do want Python to re-import a <module> just call
reload(<module.)

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

henry.p.goodman

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:06:34 AM UTC+1, Dennis wrote:
> JJ wrote:
>

> > Quote:
>

> > Fortunately, three great 20th-century rabbinic authorities have
>
> > explicated the halachic grounds for such a positive and welcoming
>
> > policy : Rabbi Ben-Zion Uziel (1880-1953), Rabbi Joseph Mesas
>
> > (1892-1974) and Rabbi Hayyim David HaLevi (1924-1998).
>

> > Uziel, the first Sephardic chief rabbi of Israel, notes that classic
>
> > rabbinic texts teach us that God loves converts. The Talmud states
>
> > that God dispersed the Jews throughout the world so that non-Jews
>
> > would have the opportunity to become acquainted with them and choose
>
> > to convert. It is a positive commandment to warmly accept proselytes,
>
> > whenever this is permitted by the law of the land. Uzzel writes:
>
> > "According to Torah, it is both permitted and a commandment to accept
>
> > men and women converts, even if we are aware that they will not
>
> > observe all the commandments."
>

> > Read more:
>

> > http://forward.com/articles/199505/the-talmudic-case-for-conv...
>
> > zz33ry2Th00
>

> What specifically do they mean saying that "they will not observe all the
>
> commandments"? Keep kosher?
>

> Most American men are circumcised so you only need to draw the ritual
>
> pinprick (I wouldn't look forward to that) If you have to do a full
>
> circumcision, at least we have anesthetics today.
>

> FWIW, a book I recently read said that circumsision originally meant only
>
> a nick; after ~150 CE it was the whole foreskin. that would explain the
>
> stories about men removing the mark of circumcision.
>

> Dennis

My understanding is that most European men (except Jews and Moslems) are not circumcised and I think that may well be true in other parts of the world so your comment about your local conditions is not very relevant.
Henry Goodman

sheldonlg

On 6/11/2014 9:43 AM, henry.dot.goodman.at.virgin.net wrote:
> My understanding is that most European men (except Jews and Moslems) are not circumcised and I think that may well be true in other parts of the world so your comment about your local conditions is not very relevant.

When my wife gave birth to my older son (45 years ago) she was in a room
with three other women who were not Jewish. All had given birth to
boys. The nurse (?) came and asked each if they wanted their sons
circumcised and all except my wife said yes. (We had to wait until the
eight day, of course).

--
Shelly

henry.p.goodman

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:13:20 PM UTC+1, shel...@thevillages.net wrote:
> On 6/11/2014 9:43 AM, henry.dot.goodman.at.virgin.net wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that most European men (except Jews and Moslems) are not circumcised and I think that may well be true in other parts of the world so your comment about your local conditions is not very relevant.
>

> When my wife gave birth to my older son (45 years ago) she was in a room
>
> with three other women who were not Jewish. All had given birth to
>
> boys. The nurse (?) came and asked each if they wanted their sons
>
> circumcised and all except my wife said yes. (We had to wait until the
>
> eight day, of course).

They don't do that there here.
Henry Goodman

sheldonlg

On 6/11/2014 10:49 AM, henry.dot.goodman.at.virgin.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:13:20 PM UTC+1, shel...@thevillages.net wrote:
>> On 6/11/2014 9:43 AM, henry.dot.goodman.at.virgin.net wrote:
>>
>>> My understanding is that most European men (except Jews and Moslems) are not circumcised and I think that may well be true in other parts of the world so your comment about your local conditions is not very relevant.
>>

>> When my wife gave birth to my older son (45 years ago) she was in a room
>>
>> with three other women who were not Jewish. All had given birth to
>>
>> boys. The nurse (?) came and asked each if they wanted their sons
>>
>> circumcised and all except my wife said yes. (We had to wait until the
>>
>> eight day, of course).
>>

> They don't do that there here.
> Henry Goodman

Aha! Googlegroups does not add blank line canyons in the original post.
It adds them on the replies. Henry also uses Googlegroups and that
inserted blank lines in my post. It even added a blank line to the
blank line that I deliberated put in between his original post and my
response.

What a lousy excuse for software!

--
Shelly

news

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:13:20 +0000 (UTC), Shelly
<sheldonlg@thevillages.net> wrote:

>On 6/11/2014 9:43 AM, henry.dot.goodman.at.virgin.net wrote:
>> My understanding is that most European men (except Jews and Moslems) are not circumcised and I think that may well be true in other parts of the world so your comment about your local conditions is not very relevant.
>
>When my wife gave birth to my older son (45 years ago) she was in a room
>with three other women who were not Jewish. All had given birth to
>boys. The nurse (?) came and asked each if they wanted their sons
>circumcised and all except my wife said yes. (We had to wait until the
>eight day, of course).

That was apparently routine back then, but is markedly less so these
days.

--
Francis Xavier Turlough
University of the Witwatersrand

news

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:15:43 +0000 (UTC), Shelly
<sheldonlg@thevillages.net> wrote:

>On 6/11/2014 10:49 AM, henry.dot.goodman.at.virgin.net wrote:

>>> When my wife gave birth to my older son (45 years ago) she was in a room
>>>
>>> with three other women who were not Jewish. All had given birth to
>>>
>>> boys. The nurse (?) came and asked each if they wanted their sons
>>>
>>> circumcised and all except my wife said yes. (We had to wait until the
>>>
>>> eight day, of course).
>>>

>> They don't do that there here.
>> Henry Goodman
>
>Aha! Googlegroups does not add blank line canyons in the original post.
> It adds them on the replies. Henry also uses Googlegroups and that
>inserted blank lines in my post. It even added a blank line to the
>blank line that I deliberated put in between his original post and my
>response.
>
>What a lousy excuse for software!

Isn't the problem something to do with line wrapping?

--

On 6/11/2014 1:30 PM, news wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:15:43 +0000 (UTC), Shelly
> <sheldonlg@thevillages.net> wrote:

>>> They don't do that there here.
>>> Henry Goodman
>>
>> Aha! Googlegroups does not add blank line canyons in the original post.
>> It adds them on the replies. Henry also uses Googlegroups and that
>> inserted blank lines in my post. It even added a blank line to the
>> blank line that I deliberated put in between his original post and my
>> response.
>>
>> What a lousy excuse for software!
>
> Isn't the problem something to do with line wrapping?

I don't think so, or the original posts would have appeared with blank
lines every time a line wrapped. Instead, every line in the the post
that one is responding to is followed by an added blank line. This
occurs even if the line in the first post is blank. So, if the original
post looked something like:

==============
Here is a line that is word wrapped in the original post and it is long
enough and appears with no blank lines.

Another line.
==============

The reply with Googlegroups would look like:
==============
> Here is a line that is word wrapped in the original post and it is
>
> long enough and appears with no blank lines.
>

> Another line.

Here is my reply to that long post and this reply is also word wrapped.
You can see that there is no blank line here but blanks appear in what I
responded to.
==============

With a decent reader the reply would appear as:
==============
> Here is a line that is word wrapped in the original post and it is
> long enough and appears with no blank lines.
>
> Another line.
Here is my reply to that long post and this reply is also word wrapped.
You can see that there is no blank line here but blanks appear in what I
responded to.
==============

--
Shelly

mm

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:43:11 +0000 (UTC),
"henry.dot.goodman.at.virgin.net" <henry.p.goodman@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:06:34 AM UTC+1, Dennis wrote:
>> JJ wrote:
>>

>> > Quote:
>>

>> > Fortunately, three great 20th-century rabbinic authorities have
>>
>> > explicated the halachic grounds for such a positive and welcoming
>>
>> > policy : Rabbi Ben-Zion Uziel (1880-1953), Rabbi Joseph Mesas
>>
>> > (1892-1974) and Rabbi Hayyim David HaLevi (1924-1998).
>>

>> > Uziel, the first Sephardic chief rabbi of Israel, notes that classic
>>
>> > rabbinic texts teach us that God loves converts. The Talmud states
>>
>> > that God dispersed the Jews throughout the world so that non-Jews
>>
>> > would have the opportunity to become acquainted with them and choose
>>
>> > to convert. It is a positive commandment to warmly accept proselytes,
>>
>> > whenever this is permitted by the law of the land. Uzzel writes:
>>
>> > "According to Torah, it is both permitted and a commandment to accept
>>
>> > men and women converts, even if we are aware that they will not
>>
>> > observe all the commandments."
>>

>> > Read more:
>>

>> > http://forward.com/articles/199505/the-talmudic-case-for-conv...
>>
>> > zz33ry2Th00
>>

>> What specifically do they mean saying that "they will not observe all the
>>
>> commandments"? Keep kosher?
>>

>> Most American men are circumcised so you only need to draw the ritual
>>
>> pinprick (I wouldn't look forward to that) If you have to do a full
>>
>> circumcision, at least we have anesthetics today.

I knew a guy, or maybe he just posted here, who worked for a gentile man
whose 15 year old son decided to be circumcized, and the man asked my
friend to spend the afternoon with his son, after the surgery in the
morning. At the boss's house, until he or his wife got home in the
evening. He said the boy was uncomfortable a bit but little or no
pain. I'm pretty sure he was taking the drugs they gave him.

OTOH, you can't tell everything by what drugs are prescribed. When I
got out of the hospital after surgery, the doc gave me a prescription
for Tylenol with codeine. I told the friend who drove me home to get it
without codeine, and that turned out to be plenty. I didn't even take
that very often.

>> FWIW, a book I recently read said that circumsision originally meant only

FWIW? It's not worth much with no author's name and no book name. And
even with those things: If one is writing about something that's
already been written about, to get one's book noticed, he has to say
something new. And if there is even a smidgen of a basis to say it was
only a nick, some people will do so, to become well known or to sell
books. Some don't even need a smidgen.

I used to go with my mother and her husband to one day of Rosh HaShono
at the C congregation they belonged to. They picked me up and I just
say in the car, which isn't as bad as my driving. For the high
holidays, there was an overflow crowd in a rented hall and a rabbi who
was only there for the overflow crowd on 2days RH and on YK. He was a
very respected man afaict.

The last sentence of the Torah portion is, "And Abraham dwelt among the
Philistines for many years." And as part of his sermon, immediately
following the Torah and Haftorah reading iirc, the rabbi says, Well,
Abraham didn't really do that because the Philistines were on Cyprus (or
Crete or some island) for another 400 years. In the same sermon he
complained about the high price of kosher meat.

I wrote him a stern letter pointing out that though these two topics
would be worth discussing some time during the year, some Jews only go
to shul 3 days a year and denouncing the Torah is not the sort of thing
they should hear when they're there, trying to get in the mood for
repentance, etc. I also said that even if most of the Philistines were
on Cyprus, there could still be 100 or more that Abraham lived with.

The next year he omitted the part about kosher meat but repeated the
part about Philstines, and the next year too. I can't remember what
happend after that, but every time he was there, he said the same thing.

Two or 3 years later, I was dating a girl who was invited to lunch, and
me too, at the home of someone pretty high up in "official" Jewish
agencies here in Baltimore. And to my surprise, the same rabbi was also
there for lunch. I certainly couldn't say anything about this topic,
because it would embarrass him in front of 2 other people, so of course
I didn't, And we all talked, and at some point he lamented probably
that young people weren't showing as much interest in Judaism as they
used to. And I was dying to say, Because of people like you.

But I didn't. And I didnt' write him later to say that either. For
one thing, I think I'd read that he no longer was at the overflow
service, so I figured most of the harm he did, he woudln't be doing
anymore anyhow.

When he died, writers at and to the Jewish paper said lots of nice
things about him, probably all true. There had been 200 people in the
room every RH when he said those things. I'm sure they didn't write.
It's not permitted to speak loshon hora about the dead.

And 5 or 6 years after I heard those sermons, I read in the news that
archeologists had now found evidence that the Philistines lived where
Abraham did only about 60** years after Abraham did. So the 400 went
to 60, and if they keep looking it might be negative 40 years.

I'm pretty sure the archaologists said something like, The earliest
evidence we have found for Philistines dates to year nnnn, and he or
some doubter/dummy or liar changed that around to There were no
Philistines there before year nnnn.

**400 and 60 might not be the right numbers, but they're close.

>> a nick; after ~150 CE it was the whole foreskin. that would explain the
>>
>> stories about men removing the mark of circumcision.

What also explains them is that some men have gone to enormous effort to
undo a full circumcision. Rather successfully some times.

I learned recently that crushing of bladder stones goes back 2300 years,
usng two tools inserted up the urethra. By pushing with one tool
against the other with the stone in between.

>> Dennis

>My understanding is that most European men (except Jews and Moslems) are not circumcised and I think that may well be true in other parts of the world so your comment about your local conditions is not very relevant.

Yes, and yes.

--

Meir
It is better to eat an onion in Jerusalem than a cockerel in Egypt. 1055CE

sheldonlg

To fully understand my example, make sure that your window is narrow
enough such the the first line in the example actually wraps. If your
window is too wide, it will not wrap. If it is too narrow, then the
reply will show wrapping where it shouldn't be. So, have your window
such that the words "long enough" appear on the first line and "and
appears" starts the wrapped line. That will be the clearest way to view
this.

--
Shelly