setting up cygwin on windows or linux it?

Adam Akhtar

4/30/2009 12:28:00 PM

Due to some gems not working for windows im considering either
installing cygwin or even going as far as installing linux (linux isnt
the evil here, its the partioning and a whole sunday spent figuring out
stuff).

Id rather go with cygwin but ive read posts that mention problems when
you have cywin ruby and a windows ruby on the same system something
about ---ubygems or something.

I know nothing about cygwin and its pros/cons nor how it will affect my
current ruby projects and rails setup.

Do i need to install a cygwin verion of ruby? Can it coexist with my
current version on windows. I dont want to have to uninstall it because
ive just spent 3 days figuring out hwo to get get mysql working with
rails 2.+ that requried multiple reinstalls. Id liek to leave it as it
is.

any tips pointers etc greatly will really help out

Robert Klemme

2009/4/30 Adam Akhtar <adamtemporary@gmail.com>:
> Due to some gems not working for windows im considering either
> installing cygwin or even going as far as installing linux (linux isnt
> the evil here, its the partioning and a whole sunday spent figuring out
> stuff).
>
> Id rather go with cygwin but ive read posts that mention problems when
> you have cywin ruby and a windows ruby on the same system something
> about ---ubygems or something.
>
> I know nothing about cygwin and its pros/cons nor how it will affect my
> current ruby projects and rails setup.
>
> Do i need to install a cygwin verion of ruby? Can it coexist with my
> current version on windows. I dont want to have to uninstall it because
> ive just spent 3 days figuring out hwo to get get mysql working with
> rails 2.+ that requried multiple reinstalls. Id liek to leave it as it
> is.

Disclaimer: I am not using any database bindings at the moment. I'm
pretty happy using the cygwin version only. Currently you need to
compile from source if you want to have 1.9.1 but that's not a big
issue on cygwin (the usual configure, make, make install loop). I
would guess that you do not have to delete the Windows version but I
believe you better keep them apart. That would mean installing gems
twice if you want to have them in both environments.

Personally I haven't felt the need to use another Windows version but
I'm not doing GUI either.

Just my 0.01 EUR...

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestprac...

Hassan Schroeder

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Adam Akhtar <adamtemporary@gmail.com> wrote:
> Due to some gems not working for windows im considering either
> installing cygwin or even going as far as installing linux (linux isnt
> the evil here, its the partioning and a whole sunday spent figuring out
> stuff).

I'd suggest using virtualization (VMWare, etc.) to install a Linux distro.
Much simpler than setting up dual-boot, and much more versatile than
cygwin (you can snapshot and revert VMs, clone them, etc.)

FWIW,

Adam Akhtar

ahh that sounds good. Unfortunately i just realised I wont be able to
use my beloved e-editor via linux.... perhaps cygwin is the way to go.
But ill definately look into it as a way to try out linux.

(is there a text-mate / e-editor style editor for linux?)

Adam Akhtar

ahh robert, missed your reply there. Initially Id like to keep the
windows version in reserve just in case i dont take to well to cygwin.
If cygwin goes well then id be willing to just delete the windows
version and keep only the cygwin one.

Hassan Schroeder

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Adam Akhtar <adamtemporary@gmail.com> wrote:
> ahh that sounds good. Unfortunately i just realised I wont be able to
> use my beloved e-editor via linux....
> (is there a text-mate / e-editor style editor for linux?)

I don't use either of those [1] but there are any number of possible
alternatives: shared folders for the two "systems", edit on Windows
and `cap deploy` to Linux, etc.

[1] I mostly use jEdit, which is cross-platform and extremely easy to
customize through shortcuts, macros, and plugins.

HTH,

Aleksandr Levchuk

Usually virtualization (VMWare, etc.) is too slow to use. I would
recommend dual boot.

If it's a not a Mac then friendly Linux distros (Ubuntu, Debain,
CentOS, Fedora,...) will install the dual boot very smoothly. The
hardest part is making the decision on what part of the hard drive to
allocate to Linux.

Alex

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Hassan Schroeder
<hassan.schroeder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Adam Akhtar <adamtemporary@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Due to some gems not working for windows im considering either
>> installing cygwin or even going as far as installing linux (linux isnt
>> the evil here, its the partioning and a whole sunday spent figuring out
>> stuff).
>
> I'd suggest using virtualization (VMWare, etc.) to install a Linux distro.
> Much simpler than setting up dual-boot, and much more versatile than
> cygwin (you can snapshot and revert VMs, clone them, etc.)
>
> FWIW,

Aleksandr Levchuk
Biology Systems and Database Administrator
University of California, Riverside
Cell Phone: (951) 368-0004

Hassan Schroeder

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Aleksandr Levchuk <alevchuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Usually virtualization (VMWare, etc.) is too slow to use.

That's a uselessly broad statement. I've used VMWare on Windows,
Linux, and Mac hosts, and never found that to be true, even running
multiple VMs simultaneously.

Maybe slow on a netbook or an iPhone or something. :-)

But certainly the OP can try a virtualization approach first and see if
it's performant enough on his hardware for his needs.

TMTOWTDI.

Louis-Philippe

an other approach is to run a linux kernel inside windows,
http://www.and...
the andLinux project is very surprising, it allows you to run windows and
linux in the same desktop environment, compatible with ubuntu
repositories...

2009/4/30 Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroeder@gmail.com>

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Aleksandr Levchuk <alevchuk@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Usually virtualization (VMWare, etc.) is too slow to use.
>
> That's a uselessly broad statement. I've used VMWare on Windows,
> Linux, and Mac hosts, and never found that to be true, even running
> multiple VMs simultaneously.
>
> Maybe slow on a netbook or an iPhone or something. :-)
>
> But certainly the OP can try a virtualization approach first and see if
> it's performant enough on his hardware for his needs.
>
> TMTOWTDI.

Aleksandr Levchuk

Hassan,

My experience was with VirtualBox on Windows on a new IBM Touchpad
laptop about a year ago. The environment was snappy at the very
beginning, but became slow (compared to native Linux installations)
when I used Ubuntu's package manager to install software.

Sorry for not being specific.

Alex

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Hassan Schroeder
<hassan.schroeder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Aleksandr Levchuk <alevchuk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Usually virtualization (VMWare, etc.) is too slow to use.
>
> That's a uselessly broad statement. I've used VMWare on Windows,
> Linux, and Mac hosts, and never found that to be true, even running
> multiple VMs simultaneously.
>
> Maybe slow on a netbook or an iPhone or something. :-)
>
> But certainly the OP can try a virtualization approach first and see if
> it's performant enough on his hardware for his needs.
>
> TMTOWTDI.

Aleksandr Levchuk
Biology Systems and Database Administrator
University of California, Riverside
Cell Phone: (951) 368-0004

Roger Pack

Adam Akhtar wrote:
> ahh that sounds good. Unfortunately i just realised I wont be able to
> use my beloved e-editor via linux.... perhaps cygwin is the way to go.
> But ill definately look into it as a way to try out linux.
>
> (is there a text-mate / e-editor style editor for linux?)

e-text was just released "shared source" with a "build your own" linux
port available (check their blog).
I'd recommend virtualbox works like a champ for me--using it right now
Linux guest on XP host.
-=r