preprocessing ruby gems in ruby1.9

botp

4/30/2009 12:04:00 AM

i notice that almost all pre 1.9 gems wont compile in ruby1.9 because
of the ff error (or something like it),

: error: =91struct RArray=92 has no member named =91len=92
: error: =91struct RArray=92 has no member named =91ptr=92

the typical solution i do is outlined here
http://frozenplague.net/2009/01/ruby-191-rubygems-rails/#ge...,
and it works 100% on my case (glad hasn't failed yet).

can this solution be handled by the rubygem preprocessor? maybe,
signal a flag of some sort, or do a best-effort processing of some
sort ?...

kind regards -botp

1 Answer

Eric Hodel

On Apr 29, 2009, at 17:03, botp wrote:

> i notice that almost all pre 1.9 gems wont compile in ruby1.9 because
> of the ff error (or something like it),
>
> : error: =91struct RArray=92 has no member named =91len=92
> : error: =91struct RArray=92 has no member named =91ptr=92
>
> the typical solution i do is outlined here
> http://frozenplague.net/2009/01/ruby-191-rubygems-rails/#ge...,
> and it works 100% on my case (glad hasn't failed yet).
>
> can this solution be handled by the rubygem preprocessor? maybe,
> signal a flag of some sort, or do a best-effort processing of some
> sort ?...

You could probably write a RubyGems plugin to do it using the =20
pre_install hook.=