comp.lang.c++

Hardware keys

Rune Allnor

10/31/2008 12:33:00 PM

Hi all.

I consider to let a client have a test version of some of
my software. If the software turns out to do what it is
supposed to do, I would like to protect it from being
distributed, e.g. by using hardware keys. The software
in question is written in C++.

1) How does one use hardware keys to protect programs?
That is, what voodoo is involved from the programming POV.
2) Where can I find vendors of hardware keys?

Thanks in advance,

Rune
3 Answers

Michael DOUBEZ

Rune Allnor a écrit :
> I consider to let a client have a test version of some of
> my software. If the software turns out to do what it is
> supposed to do, I would like to protect it from being
> distributed, e.g. by using hardware keys. The software
> in question is written in C++.
>
> 1) How does one use hardware keys to protect programs?
> That is, what voodoo is involved from the programming POV.

A hardware key and a dev kit to exploit it.

> 2) Where can I find vendors of hardware keys?

Google it. I think Microcosm has also Internet key solutions.
This question is best suited for a professional network (LinkedIn ?)

--
Michael

osmium

"Rune Allnor" wrote:

> I consider to let a client have a test version of some of
> my software. If the software turns out to do what it is
> supposed to do, I would like to protect it from being
> distributed, e.g. by using hardware keys. The software
> in question is written in C++.
>
> 1) How does one use hardware keys to protect programs?
> That is, what voodoo is involved from the programming POV.
> 2) Where can I find vendors of hardware keys?

Mybe you want the word "dongle".

Maxim Yegorushkin

On Oct 31, 12:32 pm, Rune Allnor <all...@tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I consider to let a client have a test version of some of
> my software. If the software turns out to do what it is
> supposed to do, I would like to protect it from being
> distributed, e.g. by using hardware keys. The software
> in question is written in C++.
>
> 1) How does one use hardware keys to protect programs?
>    That is, what voodoo is involved from the programming POV.
> 2) Where can I find vendors of hardware keys?

This may be an obsolete business model to sell secret bits. Once your
bits are reverse engineered you are in trouble.

For more information please see http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/magic...

--
Max