comp.lang.python

Write ooxml .ods (spreadsheat) from python?

Neal Becker

2/13/2008 1:50:00 PM

I'd like to output some data directly in .ods format. This format appears
to be quite complex. Is there any python software available to do this? I
did look at pyuno briefly. It looks pretty complicated also, and it looks
like it uses it's own private version of python, which would not help me.

21 Answers

John Machin

On Feb 14, 12:50 am, Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message subject: OOXML is "Office Open" XML i.e. Microsoft Office
"Open" -- a /different/ complex XML spreadsheet format.

> I'd like to output some data directly in .ods format. This format appears
> to be quite complex.

You're not wrong. Have you looked at this:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.1/OS/OpenDocument-v1.1-html/OpenDocument...

Ben Finney

Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to output some data directly in .ods format.

Presumably you mean the OpenDocument Spreadsheet format. That's not
OOXML, it's ODF, the international standard document format
implemented in OpenOffice.org, KOffice, and many others.

<URL:http://opendocument.xm...

Note that OOXML is not related to OpenOffice.org. Also note that
OOXML, as specified, is not implemented by *any* software at present,
and there are strong reasons to believe it cannot feasibly be
implemented as specified. (Microsoft Office 2007 implements it only
partially, but writes documents incompatible with the standard; e.g.
the spreadsheet data contains binary blobs not documented in the OOXML
specification.)

More information on ODF versus OOXML:

Achieving Openness: A Closer Look at ODF and OOXML
<URL:http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/06/14/achieving-openness-a-closer-look-at-odf-and-ooxm...

--
\ "Like the creators of sitcoms or junk food or package tours, |
`\ Java's designers were consciously designing a product for |

Neal Becker

Ben Finney wrote:

> Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'd like to output some data directly in .ods format.
>
> Presumably you mean the OpenDocument Spreadsheet format. That's not
> OOXML, it's ODF, the international standard document format
> implemented in OpenOffice.org, KOffice, and many others.

Sorry for the confusion, yes I meant OpenDocument Spreadsheat format.

John Fabiani

Neal Becker wrote:

> I'd like to output some data directly in .ods format. This format appears
> to be quite complex. Is there any python software available to do this?
> did look at pyuno briefly. It looks pretty complicated also, and it looks
> like it uses it's own private version of python, which would not help me.

Try
import ooolib
#http://ooolib.sourc...

Rob Wolfe

Neal Becker napisal(a):
> I'd like to output some data directly in .ods format. This format appears
> to be quite complex. Is there any python software available to do this? I
> did look at pyuno briefly. It looks pretty complicated also, and it looks
> like it uses it's own private version of python, which would not help me.

Check this:
http://opendocumentfellowship.com/development/proj...

HTH,
Rob

Neil X

On Nov 16, 3:08 pm, "DGDevin" <DGDe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "Neil X"  wrote in message

> > As for Malnatti's coming in 7th, do bear in mind that the pizza in 8th
> > place has spinach on it.  So take anything they say with a 100 pound
> > block of salt.
>
> The best pizza I ever tasted had spinach on it, came from a little place
> near campus when I was going to school, sadly now gone.  I ordered it for
> the first time out of curiosity and was amazed.  I'd tell people how good it
> was and they wouldn't believe me until I went and got one and had them taste
> it, then my problem was keeping them from eating the rest of my pizza.  The
> spinach was kind of shredded and had the cheese on top of it, I liked mine
> with fresh tomatoes on top.  I don't know if it was the sauce or the cheese
> or what, but damn that was one delicious pizza.
>
> Artichokes, on the other hand, I don't care for on a pizza.

Hold the artichokes and anchovies as well. But bring on the jalapenos
and pesto. As for the spinach, just substitute sausage and pepperoni
and we're done here. No *real* fan of pizza would put a pie with
spinach in the top 10.

Peace,
Neil X.

3jane.

On Nov 16, 3:48 pm, Neil X <nei...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Artichokes, on the other hand, I don't care for on a pizza.
>
> Hold the artichokes and anchovies as well.  But bring on the jalapenos
> and pesto.  As for the spinach, just substitute sausage and pepperoni
> and we're done here.  No *real* fan of pizza would put a pie with
> spinach in the top 10.

Hold the freakin pineapple too. Pineapple + pizza = seriously bad
idea.

Neil X

On Nov 16, 4:28 pm, "3jane." <q3j...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 3:48 pm, Neil X <nei...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Artichokes, on the other hand, I don't care for on a pizza.
>
> > Hold the artichokes and anchovies as well.  But bring on the jalapenos
> > and pesto.  As for the spinach, just substitute sausage and pepperoni
> > and we're done here.  No *real* fan of pizza would put a pie with
> > spinach in the top 10.
>
> Hold the freakin pineapple too.  Pineapple + pizza = seriously bad
> idea.

Yep. And while we're at it, broccoli on pizza?? REALLY?!?!?!?

Peace,
Neil X.

DGDevin

"Neil X" wrote in message

> Hold the artichokes and anchovies as well. But bring on the jalapenos
> and pesto. As for the spinach, just substitute sausage and pepperoni
> and we're done here. No *real* fan of pizza would put a pie with
> spinach in the top 10.

You're starting to sound like D-Kell dissing real beers in favor of that
fruity alco-pop stuff he likes. I repeat, my favorite pizza ever had
spinach on it, and I've eaten enough pizza over the decades (including those
supposed world's-greatest in places like NYC and Chicago) to qualify as a
real fan. I don't know how they got it to taste that way, but everyone who
tried it, despite their initial skepticism, loved it. I suppose the secret
was it was just a goddam good pizza to start with and from then on the
toppings almost didn't matter. However if you're into those heart-stopper
specials with enough fatty meat to drive your cholesterol through the roof,
okay, enjoy (and buy insurance).

Just Kidding

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:28:39 -0800, "DGDevin"
<DGDevin@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>"Neil X" wrote in message
>

>> Hold the artichokes and anchovies as well. But bring on the jalapenos
>> and pesto. As for the spinach, just substitute sausage and pepperoni
>> and we're done here. No *real* fan of pizza would put a pie with
>> spinach in the top 10.
>
>You're starting to sound like D-Kell dissing real beers in favor of that
>fruity alco-pop stuff he likes. I repeat, my favorite pizza ever had
>spinach on it, and I've eaten enough pizza over the decades (including those
>supposed world's-greatest in places like NYC and Chicago) to qualify as a
>real fan. I don't know how they got it to taste that way, but everyone who
>tried it, despite their initial skepticism, loved it. I suppose the secret
>was it was just a goddam good pizza to start with and from then on the
>toppings almost didn't matter. However if you're into those heart-stopper
>specials with enough fatty meat to drive your cholesterol through the roof,
>okay, enjoy (and buy insurance).

If you must have spinach, go with schiacciata (sort of like a stuffed
pizza).