debian,eclipse) GUI created with glade doesn't appear

lolveley

4/24/2009 8:34:00 PM

hi,

some informations:
- I have debian lenny, with gnome
- I have eclipse + the plugin DLTK (for ruby)
- I have installed the packages ruby1.8, ruby1.8-dev, ruby-gnome2,
libglade-2, glade-gnome and glade-3.

I thought I have all installed but when I follow this tutorial : (in
french) :
http://www.rubyfr.org/documentations/ruby-ihm/ruby-gnome/gno... ,
I launch the project under eclipse ("run script") and ... nothing
happens : no error message, no message at the console.
if I add "puts 'hello'" at the end of the script ... it doesn't appear
at the console window...

maybe there is a problem with libglade2 and gtk2, but what is it?

the gem tool tells me there is no gem installed (maybe libglade2 and
gtk2 aren't recognized, but how to be sure?).

olivier.

http://fr.mail...

6 Answers

james.pablos

On Nov 15, 10:26 pm, "dr.narcolepsy" <jmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  This burpees project scared the crap out of me, and it's turned into the best new wrinkle to my fitness efforts in a long time.

Today's workout, done for time:

50 bodyweight squats
50 situps
50 pushups
50 burpees

00:13:21

Can you beat that time? You can break anything up into a many sets as
you want. Final time is the only consideration.

Just Kidding

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:10:11 -0800 (PST), James Pablos
<james.pablos@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 15, 10:26?pm, "dr.narcolepsy" <jmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ?This burpees project scared the crap out of me, and it's turned into the best new wrinkle to my fitness efforts in a long time.
>
>Today's workout, done for time:
>
>50 bodyweight squats
>50 situps
>50 pushups
>50 burpees
>
>00:13:21
>
>Can you beat that time? You can break anything up into a many sets as
>you want. Final time is the only consideration.

This thread has been fascinating.

mr.rapidan

On Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:10:11 PM UTC-5, James Pablos wrote:
> On Nov 15, 10:26 pm, "dr.narcolepsy" <jmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  This burpees project scared the crap out of me, and it's turned into the best new wrinkle to my fitness efforts in a long time.
>
> Today's workout, done for time:
>
> 50 bodyweight squats
> 50 situps
> 50 pushups
> 50 burpees
>
> 00:13:21
>
> Can you beat that time? You can break anything up into a many sets as
> you want. Final time is the only consideration.

Well, I'm sure that I couldn't beat it, but I'm just getting started in this sprint / burst stuff - if you had asked me a month ago, I wouldn't even have been able to comprehend what doing those exercises in that time meant, but now I can consider it, and I'm not intimidated by the time - not that I could do it. I did spend some internet time on tabata, and saw an example of fast bodyweight squats. I've never done them for time, like that, so I've got no idea what they're really like. I did 81 burpees on Tuesday - 2x13 + 5x11, minute rest between the 7 sets. If the 50 day challenge wasn't a point of honor, now, I'd quit. I like my new routine - a section of stretching/abs/core stuff, then a section of the 81 burpees, then whatever main workout I've got planned (not that doing 81 burpees doesn't qualify as serious, for me). I suppose I'll try to do a real tabata workout every 20 days, or something, eventually. But I'm missing doing my long runs - at this point, doing burpees before running really limits the distance that my legs are capable of - they feel pretty dead - my form is shit, I'm not attacking hills, I'm just putting one foot in front of the other. I have mileage goals for the winter, I want to tackle more trail races in 2012. So, I'm going to finish the burpee thing, but it is definitely messing with my long runs. Thanks, again, for discussing burpees & tabata - building up my ability to do burpees and dealing with the mental part of the challenge (not even half way done!) has been really, really good for me. They really are the just exactly perfect thing I needed to add to what I do. It's good to break out of your comfort zone, once in a while! I really do appreciate it.

james.pablos

On Nov 17, 5:16 pm, "dr.narcolepsy" <jmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the 50 day challenge wasn't a point of honor, now, I'd quit.

It's a grind, no doubt about it. Your mind is probably already
offering you excuses to quit and even ways to justify it. "I'll just
run more." "I'll still do them, just not everyday." "25 days is better
than most could do." etc.

mr.rapidan

Ha, no, that's not it, at all. I realize that nothing I do could replace the benefit I'm getting from burpees - that a slow hour on the trail won't give me what 10 minutes of burpees gives me. And that while I'm convinced that this is the missing link to my fitness program, I realize that I've got to complete the 50 days to really turn it into a habit that I won't drop. It's just fitting it into the single dad life *every* day, especially when I want/need those longer runs - I *love* long distance trail running, I *hate* quick, rapid heart-rate stuff for its own sake. I'm not weakening, mentally, at all, I'm just getting ornery about the situation. I did my 81 again, tonight, and then ran - I must have had a crappy day, the other day, because I felt pretty good after the first few hundred yards. Or maybe I'm getting stronger.

Just Kidding

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:27:35 -0800 (PST), "dr.narcolepsy"
<jminpa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ha, no, that's not it, at all. I realize that nothing I do could replace the benefit I'm getting from burpees - that a slow hour on the trail won't give me what 10 minutes of burpees gives me. And that while I'm convinced that this is the missing link to my fitness program, I realize that I've got to complete the 50 days to really turn it into a habit that I won't drop. It's just fitting it into the single dad life *every* day, especially when I want/need those longer runs - I *love* long distance trail running, I *hate* quick, rapid heart-rate stuff for its own sake. I'm not weakening, mentally, at all, I'm just getting ornery about the situation. I did my 81 again, tonight, and then ran - I must have had a crappy day, the other day, because I felt pretty good after the first few hundred yards. Or maybe I'm getting stronger.

Do you boys shower together?