comp.lang.c++

Please Help With Driver Install Problem

krdu

10/27/2008 11:14:00 PM

We have a problem, and as I am not a driver programmer, or even a Windows
Applications programmer, I don?t even know how to start. Any help you can give
will be appreciated.

This involves the Dell Latitude XT laptop. This computer has an N-Trig
touchscreen digitizer. I am skipping the analysis of the problem and getting
right to basics. The touchscreen is hardwired to the USB bus. When the
computer is booted, anything using a particular GEAR driver DVD driver (I.E.,
iTunes, Ghost) will cause the touchscreen drivers to not load properly. Yet if
the device is plugged in after boot, both the device and the touchscreen work
fine. This same problem seems to occur with some other drivers.

Dell, N-Trig, Gear, and Microsoft have been working on this for 7 months
without solution. We have found a prospective work-around ? if we delete one
registry key
([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GEARAspiWDM] the PnP
manager will fail to see the DVD drive and will properly load the Digitizer.
But then the DVD is invisible. But, if we then re-install the Gear drivers,
the DVD will become visible and fully functional without a re-boot. That means
that if we put the install program in startup everything works perfectly,
except that there are all sorts of screens to click on and we have to delete
the key again, with another screen to click.

What we need to do is write a new installer which has no user intervention,
does not write to the registry, and checks that the key is deleted. (in case
some new software replaced it.) We can then put this into Startup and get a
working computer until Dell, N-Trig, Gear, and Microsoft fix the problem, if
they ever do. The Gear installer is an MSI in an EXE wrapper. We have
extracted the and decompiled it with MSIDIFF so we have all important files and
the INI, but the install routine is 30 pages long and we don?t know what to do
with it.

Can anyone give us any assistance, or at least point us in the right direction?
There are several thousand Dell XT users who would be very happy.

Thanks.

2 Answers

Ian Collins

krdu wrote:
> We have a problem, and as I am not a driver programmer, or even a Windows
> Applications programmer, I don?t even know how to start.

Certainly not on c.l.c++

F'ups set.

--
Ian Collins

John DeMarco

Ï "krdu" <krdu@krdu.com> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
> We have a problem, and as I am not a driver programmer, or even a Windows
> Applications programmer, I don?t even know how to start. Any help you can
> give
> will be appreciated.
>
> This involves the Dell Latitude XT laptop. This computer has an N-Trig
> touchscreen digitizer. I am skipping the analysis of the problem and
> getting
> right to basics. The touchscreen is hardwired to the USB bus. When the
> computer is booted, anything using a particular GEAR driver DVD driver
> (I.E.,
> iTunes, Ghost) will cause the touchscreen drivers to not load properly.
> Yet if
> the device is plugged in after boot, both the device and the touchscreen
> work
> fine. This same problem seems to occur with some other drivers.
>
> Dell, N-Trig, Gear, and Microsoft have been working on this for 7 months
> without solution. We have found a prospective work-around ? if we delete
> one
> registry key
> ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GEARAspiWDM] the
> PnP
> manager will fail to see the DVD drive and will properly load the
> Digitizer.
> But then the DVD is invisible. But, if we then re-install the Gear
> drivers,
> the DVD will become visible and fully functional without a re-boot. That
> means
> that if we put the install program in startup everything works perfectly,
> except that there are all sorts of screens to click on and we have to
> delete
> the key again, with another screen to click.
>
> What we need to do is write a new installer which has no user
> intervention,
> does not write to the registry, and checks that the key is deleted. (in
> case
> some new software replaced it.) We can then put this into Startup and get
> working computer until Dell, N-Trig, Gear, and Microsoft fix the problem,
> if
> they ever do. The Gear installer is an MSI in an EXE wrapper. We have
> extracted the and decompiled it with MSIDIFF so we have all important
> files and
> the INI, but the install routine is 30 pages long and we don?t know what
> to do
> with it.
>
> Can anyone give us any assistance, or at least point us in the right
> direction?
> There are several thousand Dell XT users who would be very happy.

Have you checked msconfig? (I presume it's a win XP laptop). Go to run, and
type msconfig. Check the startup folder. If there are too many unnecessary
(ticked) entries, it might give your laptop a hard time when booting. My
mother's HP win vista laptop (celeron M) even after we installed an extra 1
gig (1.5 gig total) cannot bootup unless we disable everything, except the
synaptics and the language bat (Vista greek).I cannot think of everything
else right now.

HTH.HAND.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios