comp.lang.python

dream hardware

Aaron Brady

2/12/2008 6:06:00 PM

What is dream hardware for the Python interpreter?
35 Answers

Warren Myers

A Cray?What are you trying to do? "dream" hardware is a very wide question.WMMOn Feb 12, 2008 1:05 PM, <castironpi@gmail.com> wrote:> What is dream hardware for the Python interpreter?> --> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-... http://warrenmyers.co... may not play dice with the universe, but something strange isgoing on with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdos"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything inour favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2

Jeff Schwab

Warren Myers wrote:
> A Cray?
>
> What are you trying to do? "dream" hardware is a very wide question.

The only "dream hardware" I know of is the human brain. I have a
slightly used one myself, and it's a pretty mediocre Python interpreter.

Aaron Brady

On Feb 12, 12:31 pm, Jeff Schwab <j...@schwabcenter.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 2008 1:05 PM,  <castiro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> What is dream hardware for the Python interpreter?
> Warren Myers wrote:
>
>  > A Cray?
>  >
>  > What are you trying to do? "dream" hardware is a very wide question.
>
> The only "dream hardware" I know of is the human brain.  I have a
> slightly used one myself, and it's a  pretty mediocre Python interpreter.

Someone mentioned language-specific chips earlier. Or, if you could
dedicate processes on certain chips or cores. Paralell, serial, cache
size, pick.

Tim Chase

>>> What is dream hardware for the Python interpreter?
>
> The only "dream hardware" I know of is the human brain. I have a
> slightly used one myself, and it's a pretty mediocre Python interpreter.

the human brain may be a pretty mediocre Python interpreter, but
darn if I don't miss

>>> import dwim

on other platforms...

-tkc

Aaron Brady

On Feb 12, 1:03 pm, Tim Chase <python.l...@tim.thechases.com> wrote:

> > The only "dream hardware" I know of is the human brain.  I have a
> > slightly used one myself, and it's a  pretty mediocre Python interpreter.
>
> the human brain may be a pretty mediocre Python interpreter, but
> darn if I don't miss
>
>   >>> import dwim
>
> on other platforms...
>
> -tkc

You ever go to bars? import dwis. sigh()

Carl Banks

On Feb 12, 1:05 pm, castiro...@gmail.com wrote:
> What is dream hardware for the Python interpreter?

A 10 GHz single core.

(Dual core if doing lots of I/O.)

Carl Banks

Aaron Brady

On Feb 12, 2:15 pm, Carl Banks <pavlovevide...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 1:05 pm, castiro...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > What is dream hardware for the Python interpreter?
>
> A 10 GHz single core.
>
> (Dual core if doing lots of I/O.)
>
> Carl Banks

Handle a dual 6GHz core. Code sometimes happens in order. Other
times not, and then you can dual-pipeline / dual-bus.

Bjoern Schliessmann

Jeff Schwab wrote:

> The only "dream hardware" I know of is the human brain.

Nah. Too few storage capacity, and too slow and error-prone at
simple calculations. The few special but very advanced features are
all hard-wired to custom hardware, it's a real nightmare
interfacing with it.

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #373:

Suspicious pointer corrupted virtual machine

Steven D'Aprano

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:05:59 -0800, castironpi wrote:

> What is dream hardware for the Python interpreter?

I'm not sure that the Python interpreter actually does dream, but if it's
anything like me, it's probably a giant computer the size of a bus, made
out of broccoli and oven-roasted garlic, that suddenly turns into
Sylvester Stallone in a tutu just before my program returns its result.

--
Steven

Aaron Brady

On Feb 12, 3:42 pm, Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-
mail-0306.20.chr0n...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Jeff Schwab wrote:
> > The only "dream hardware" I know of is the human brain.
>
> Nah. Too few storage capacity, and too slow and error-prone at
> simple calculations. The few special but very advanced features are
> all hard-wired to custom hardware, it's a real nightmare
> interfacing with it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Björn
>
> --
> BOFH excuse #373:
>
> Suspicious pointer corrupted virtual machine

Hold only one- recognition.