comp.lang.python

Getting a Foothold on the IDLE Debugger

wolf_tracks

2/12/2008 5:16:00 AM

I thought I try to step through some simple Python code I wrote with IDLE
using Debug. I'm at the early stages of learning Python. I used the shell to
Run, then clicked on Debug->Debugger. That brought up a window with Stack
and Locals checked. The buttons Go, Step, etc. are greyed out. How do I
proceed?

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>
10 Answers

Mensanator

On Feb 11, 11:15?pm, "W. Watson" <wolf_tra...@invalid.com> wrote:
> I thought I try to step through some simple Python code I wrote with IDLE
> using Debug. I'm at the early stages of learning Python. I used the shell to
> Run, then clicked on Debug->Debugger. That brought up a window with Stack
> and Locals checked. The buttons Go, Step, etc. are greyed out. How do I
> proceed?

IDLE has a debugger? How about that.

After you start the debugger, go back to your program
and Run it. Watch the Debugger window.

> --
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)
>
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

wolf_tracks

How about that! Thanks. An odd way to do it, but IDLE is suitably odd with
respect to its namesake.

BTW, what's with the close and exit options on the File menu? They both dump
me out of IDLE. Odd. Any idea of whether I can "glue" the File-?Open to a
particular folder?

Any other similar programs with a better user interface for beginners?

mensanator@aol.com wrote:
> On Feb 11, 11:15�pm, "W. Watson" <wolf_tra...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> I thought I try to step through some simple Python code I wrote with IDLE
>> using Debug. I'm at the early stages of learning Python. I used the shell to
>> Run, then clicked on Debug->Debugger. That brought up a window with Stack
>> and Locals checked. The buttons Go, Step, etc. are greyed out. How do I
>> proceed?
>
> IDLE has a debugger? How about that.
>
> After you start the debugger, go back to your program
> and Run it. Watch the Debugger window.
>
>> --
>> � � � � � � � � � � � � � Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)
>>
>> � � � � � � � � � � � � Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

Gabriel Genellina

En Tue, 12 Feb 2008 04:23:17 -0200, W. Watson <wolf_tracks@invalid.com>
escribió:

> BTW, what's with the close and exit options on the File menu? They both
> dump
> me out of IDLE. Odd.

Try File|New

> Any idea of whether I can "glue" the File-?Open to a
> particular folder?

Mmm, no. But it remembers the last used directory.

> Any other similar programs with a better user interface for beginners?

Try PyScripter (Windows only, I think). People say that SPE (Stani's
Python Editor, multiplatform) is good too.

--
Gabriel Genellina

nir1408

On Feb 12, 7:15 am, "W. Watson" <wolf_tra...@invalid.com> wrote:
> I thought I try to step through some simplePythoncode I wrote with IDLE
> using Debug. I'm at the early stages of learningPython. I used the shell to
> Run, then clicked on Debug->Debugger. That brought up a window with Stack
> and Locals checked. The buttons Go, Step, etc. are greyed out. How do I
> proceed?

Proceed to the Winpdb Python debugger.
http://www....

(Runs on Linux as well)

marcman

On Nov 13, 10:58 am, Just Kidding <justkidd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 06:39:53 -0800 (PST), marcman
>

> <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Nov 13, 9:23 am, "Velvet Jones" <Vel...@Jones.org> wrote:
> >> Whilst driving along in my little hamlet, listening to XM, I heard a lyric
> >> of a song that I didn't realize had a gambling/poker reference. How many GD
> >> songs can you name that have gambling or poker references? It's surprising
> >> how many there are. Did Jerry or Bob like to play?
>
> >> 1)
> >> 2)
> >> 3)
> >> 4)
> >> 5)
>
> >> --
> >> VJ
> >> -Who among us has not dreamed of faraway places and intertwined lovers?
>
> >Loser
> >Deal
> >Half Step
> >Scarlet
> >Doin that Rag
> >Ramble On Rose
> >Tennessee Jed
> >Candyman
> >Dire Wolf
> >Stagger Lee
> >China Cat? (diamond one eyed jack)
> >Stella Blule
>
> Two more:
>
> Me & My Uncle (although that card game may not have been poker but
> "High, Low, Jack", a game often referred to as setback or pitch. On
> the other hand, the "High, Low, Jack" reference may refer to the poker
> game where the best and worst hands split the pot and the draw poker
> requirement of a pair of Jacks or better to open.)

Definitely, another one I can't believe I missed. "High, Low, Jack"
imo is definitely meant to reference a poker game as "High, Low" is a
known variation of stud poker. The "Jack" part indicates that J's are
wild.

> Truckin' (Sometimes your cards ain't worth a dime...)

pbuzby2002

On Nov 13, 9:58 am, Just Kidding <justkidd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Me & My Uncle

Yes although that was from outside the band.

Apparently Hunter was originally going to write something about a card
game for what became "Cassidy" and it was rejected.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

Andrew

On Nov 13, 9:23 am, marcman <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 10:58 am, Just Kidding <justkidd...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 06:39:53 -0800 (PST), marcman
>
> > <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >Loser
> > >Deal
> > >Half Step
> > >Scarlet
> > >Doin that Rag
> > >Ramble On Rose
> > >Tennessee Jed
> > >Candyman
> > >Dire Wolf
> > >Stagger Lee
> > >China Cat? (diamond one eyed jack)
> > >Stella Blule
>
> > Two more:
>
> > Me & My Uncle (although that card game may not have been poker but
> > "High, Low, Jack", a game often referred to as setback or pitch. On
> > the other hand, the "High, Low, Jack" reference may refer to the poker
> > game where the best and worst hands split the pot and the draw poker
> > requirement of a pair of Jacks or better to open.)
>
> Definitely, another one I can't believe I missed. "High, Low, Jack"
> imo is definitely meant to reference a poker game as "High, Low" is a
> known variation of stud poker. The "Jack" part indicates that J's are
> wild.

If I had a guess, I'd go with Just Kidding's interpretation, that
Jacks are needed to open betting. I've played that variation a time or
a hundred...

Will in New Haven

On Nov 13, 10:58 am, Just Kidding <justkidd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 06:39:53 -0800 (PST), marcman
>

> <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Nov 13, 9:23 am, "Velvet Jones" <Vel...@Jones.org> wrote:
> >> Whilst driving along in my little hamlet, listening to XM, I heard a lyric
> >> of a song that I didn't realize had a gambling/poker reference. How many GD
> >> songs can you name that have gambling or poker references? It's surprising
> >> how many there are. Did Jerry or Bob like to play?
>
> >> 1)
> >> 2)
> >> 3)
> >> 4)
> >> 5)
>
> >> --
> >> VJ
> >> -Who among us has not dreamed of faraway places and intertwined lovers?
>
> >Loser
> >Deal
> >Half Step
> >Scarlet
> >Doin that Rag
> >Ramble On Rose
> >Tennessee Jed
> >Candyman
> >Dire Wolf
> >Stagger Lee
> >China Cat? (diamond one eyed jack)
> >Stella Blule
>
> Two more:
>
> Me & My Uncle (although that card game may not have been poker but
> "High, Low, Jack", a game often referred to as setback or pitch. On
> the other hand, the "High, Low, Jack" reference may refer to the poker
> game where the best and worst hands split the pot and the draw poker
> requirement of a pair of Jacks or better to open.)

I'm sure that's pitch. It's too much of a stretch to make it poker.

> Truckin' (Sometimes your cards ain't worth a dime...)

That is the one I was going to add.

--
Will in New Haven

pbuzby2002

There was also a Hunter song "What'll You Raise" the Dead rehearsed
but never played live.

Pat Buzby
Chicago, IL

shuster

On Nov 13, 10:58 am, Just Kidding <justkidd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 06:39:53 -0800 (PST), marcman
>

> <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Nov 13, 9:23 am, "Velvet Jones" <Vel...@Jones.org> wrote:
> >> Whilst driving along in my little hamlet, listening to XM, I heard a lyric
> >> of a song that I didn't realize had a gambling/poker reference. How many GD
> >> songs can you name that have gambling or poker references? It's surprising
> >> how many there are. Did Jerry or Bob like to play?
>
> >> 1)
> >> 2)
> >> 3)
> >> 4)
> >> 5)
>
> >> --
> >> VJ
> >> -Who among us has not dreamed of faraway places and intertwined lovers?
>
> >Loser
> >Deal
> >Half Step
> >Scarlet
> >Doin that Rag
> >Ramble On Rose
> >Tennessee Jed
> >Candyman
> >Dire Wolf
> >Stagger Lee
> >China Cat? (diamond one eyed jack)
> >Stella Blule
>
> Two more:
>
> Me & My Uncle (although that card game may not have been poker but
> "High, Low, Jack", a game often referred to as setback or pitch. On
> the other hand, the "High, Low, Jack" reference may refer to the poker
> game where the best and worst hands split the pot and the draw poker
> requirement of a pair of Jacks or better to open.)

He was clearly playing pitch, which assigns 4 points, 1 each for high
trump, low trump, jack of trumps and winner (most points taken, where
a 10 is 10, an ace is 4, a king is 3 a queen is 2 and a jack is 1).
We had a longstanding tradition of playing pitch during the setbreak
if Me and My Uncle was played in the first set.