JRuby problem

Ahmed Abdelsalam

4/22/2009 3:45:00 PM

Hi,...

I'm trying to execute the following lines:

ScriptContext sct = jruby.getContext();
jruby.eval("sheet = Spreadsheet.new", sct);
jruby.eval("sheet.cells.a1 = 'Welcome'", sct);

The first two lines are executed correctly, but the last one gives the
following error:
undefined local variable or method `sheet' for main:Object

it indicates that sheet is undefined although it's defined in line 2.

When I try to execute both commands in a single statement like:
jruby.eval("sheet = Spreadsheet.new \n sheet.cells.a1 = 'Welcome'",
sct);

The statement is executed correctly.

Please help

Regards,...

Ahmed

James Herdman

My guess is that the context fails to keep track of local variables. Try an
experiment with something simpler:

ScriptContext sct = jruby.getContext
jruby.eval("name = 'Ahmed'")
jruby.eval('puts "My name is #{name}"')

If things explode, my theory is correct.

James

PS: Semi-colons aren't required, nor are empty parenthesis. It's considered
out of the Ruby norm to use them. As such, I'd avoid them in your coding.
See http://www.pathf.com/blogs/ruby-and-rails-st...

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Ahmed Abdelsalam <ahmed@amanzitel.com>wrote:

> Hi,...
>
> I'm trying to execute the following lines:
>
> ScriptContext sct = jruby.getContext();
> jruby.eval("sheet = Spreadsheet.new", sct);
> jruby.eval("sheet.cells.a1 = 'Welcome'", sct);
>
> The first two lines are executed correctly, but the last one gives the
> following error:
> undefined local variable or method `sheet' for main:Object
>
> it indicates that sheet is undefined although it's defined in line 2.
>
> When I try to execute both commands in a single statement like:
> jruby.eval("sheet = Spreadsheet.new \n sheet.cells.a1 = 'Welcome'",
> sct);
>
> The statement is executed correctly.
>
> Please help
>
> Regards,...
>
> Ahmed

Ahmed Abdelsalam

James Herdman wrote:
> My guess is that the context fails to keep track of local variables. Try
> an
> experiment with something simpler:
>
> ScriptContext sct = jruby.getContext
> jruby.eval("name = 'Ahmed'")
> jruby.eval('puts "My name is #{name}"')
>
> If things explode, my theory is correct.
>
> James
>
> PS: Semi-colons aren't required, nor are empty parenthesis. It's
> considered
> out of the Ruby norm to use them. As such, I'd avoid them in your
> coding.
> See http://www.pathf.com/blogs/ruby-and-rails-st...

Thanks for response. the code you sent is missing using sct, but I
updated it:
ScriptContext sct = jruby.getContext();
jruby.eval("name = 'Ahmed'", sct);
jruby.eval("puts \"My name is #{name}\"", sct);

also not working, the same error: undefined local variable or method
`name' for main:Object

PS: Semi-colon is required by java code

Ahmed Abdelsalam

Ahmed Abdelsalam wrote:
> James Herdman wrote:
>> My guess is that the context fails to keep track of local variables. Try
>> an
>> experiment with something simpler:
>>
>> ScriptContext sct = jruby.getContext
>> jruby.eval("name = 'Ahmed'")
>> jruby.eval('puts "My name is #{name}"')
>>
>> If things explode, my theory is correct.
>>
>> James
>>
>> PS: Semi-colons aren't required, nor are empty parenthesis. It's
>> considered
>> out of the Ruby norm to use them. As such, I'd avoid them in your
>> coding.
>> See http://www.pathf.com/blogs/ruby-and-rails-st...
>
> Thanks for response. the code you sent is missing using sct, but I
> updated it:
> ScriptContext sct = jruby.getContext();
> jruby.eval("name = 'Ahmed'", sct);
> jruby.eval("puts \"My name is #{name}\"", sct);
>
> also not working, the same error: undefined local variable or method
> `name' for main:Object
>
> PS: Semi-colon is required by java code

I found a solution for the problem, it's a discussed bug:
Take a look: markmail.org/message/ze4vwkscc6w3cpc7
and http://jira.codehaus.org/browse...

A temporary solution is to add $ before variable name so that it's seen
in the same context with successive eval commands