-mhd

7/18/2011 5:17:00 PM

When I look at the file properties of this dll I see a file version and also a
product version and they are not the same. What is the difference the 2
properties?

-mhd
18 Answers

Abhishek

Since Windows XP Comctl32.dll is part of OS and not updatebly by user, you
may however use the API in that dll. if you want to use listview and other
controls use the windows common control version 5.0 or 6 (v6 is not
dependent on Comctl32.dll).

"Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Since Windows XP Comctl32.dll is part of OS and not updatebly by user, you
>may however use the API in that dll. if you want to use listview and other
>controls use the windows common control version 5.0 or 6 (v6 is not
>dependent on Comctl32.dll).
>
>"-mhd" <not_real@invalid.com> wrote in message
>When I look at the file properties of this dll I see a file version and also
>product version and they are not the same. What is the difference between the 2
>properties?
>
>-mhd

I know that and that doesn't address the question I asked.

-mhd

Abhishek

multiple versions of this dll are included in system, the main one goes to
system32 other go in WinSxS folder for compatibility.

"Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:

I know that and that doesn't address the question I asked.

-mhd

Thorsten Albers

-mhd <not_real@invalid.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<kqa9275kqkd8n5vc4jut68rafp64evfdq3@4ax.com>...
> I know that and that doesn't address the question I asked.

No one can tell you the difference of 'file version' and 'product version'
of a specific DLL except the developer(s) of the DLL (at least one has to
assume that they can).
Often the 'file version' and the 'product version' give the same value. For
some DLLs specific to or shipped with a certain version of Windows/MS
product (like e.g. IE, WMP) MS sets the 'product version' to the Windows/MS
product version number, i.e. the version number of the product with which
the DLL was distributed.

And you should have asked "What is the difference the 4 properties?" -
because actually there are 4 properties:
1. file version (numeric; part of the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO in the file's
version resource; shown at the top of the file version property page)
2. file version (string, part of the file's version resource, may be
localized)
3. product version (numeric; part of the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO in the file's
version resource; >>not<< shown on the file version property page)
2. product version (string, part of the file's version resource, may be
localized)

Although the file version string (product version string) should give the
same version number as the file version number (product version number) in
the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO, this is not necessarily the case. E.g. the file
version number of the COMCTL32.DLL in \WINDOWS\System32 on my WinXP SP3 is
5.82.2900.6028 while the file version string is 5.82
(xpsp_sp3_qfe.100823-1643).

To sum it up: The only version number that really matters is the numeric
file version number in the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

-mhd

"Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:

>multiple versions of this dll are included in system, the main one goes to
>system32 other go in WinSxS folder for compatibility.
>

>"-mhd" <not_real@invalid.com> wrote in message
>"Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>I know that and that doesn't address the question I asked.
>
>-mhd

Each file has a file version and a product version. Click properties and see
this. The question I asked is what is the meaning or difference in the 2 version
numbers of the same file.

-mhd

"Thorsten Albers" <gudea@gmx.de> wrote:

>To sum it up: The only version number that really matters is the numeric
>file version number in the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO.

When specifically talking about different comctl32.dll versions which is the
proper version number to quote so that everyone is on the same page? Considering
most references of this file in newsgroup, forum etc. conversations probably
aren't using the file version number in the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO. Or to rephrase
this, what is most common used version number probably used?

-mhd

Dee Earley

On 19/07/2011 17:16, -mhd wrote:
> "Thorsten Albers"<gudea@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> To sum it up: The only version number that really matters is the numeric
>> file version number in the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO.
>
> When specifically talking about different comctl32.dll versions which is the
> proper version number to quote so that everyone is on the same page? Considering
> most references of this file in newsgroup, forum etc. conversations probably
> aren't using the file version number in the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO. Or to rephrase
> this, what is most common used version number probably used?

"The one installed by Windows update" as the "latest" version numbers
are different for each version of Windows.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

<25bb27lmn8nbj0begqk88vh32v16dtpblh@4ax.com>...
>When specifically talking about different comctl32.dll versions which is
>the proper version number to quote so that everyone is on the same page?
>Considering most references of this file in newsgroup, forum etc.
>conversations probably aren't using the file version number in the
>VS_FIXEDFILEINFO. Or to rephrase this, what is most common used version
>number probably used?

See this list from my PC for COMCTL32.DLL (WinXP x86 Prof. SP3; Win7 x86
Ult. SP1):

OS file version file version product version
(numeric) (string) (string)
XP 5.82.2900.6028 5.82 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.100823-1643) 6.00.2900.6028
XP 6.0.2600.0 6.0 (xpclient.010817-1148) 6.00.2600.0000
XP 6.0.2900.5512 6.0 (xpsp.080413-2105) 6.00.2900.5512
XP 6.0.2900.6028 6.0 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.100823-1643) 6.00.2900.6028
W7 5.82.7601.17514 5.82 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850) 6.1.7601.17514
W7 6.10.7601.17514 6.10 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850) 6.1.7601.17514

- The only unique version number is the numeric file version number.

- The file version number string gives you only the major and minor file
version number as well as information on how the file came to the PC (i.e.
by which service pack or the like it was installed).

- The product version number string is far from beeing unique and therefore
useless if you want to tell other people which version of COMCTL32.DLL you
are talking about.

The best addressing a specific version of the DLL therefore is to use both
file version fields:
- "I'm talking about version 5.82.2900.6028 (WinXP SP3)"
- "I'm talking about version 6.10.7601.17514 (Win7 SP1)"

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

ralph

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:16:09 -0400, -mhd <not_real@invalid.com> wrote:

>"Thorsten Albers" <gudea@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>To sum it up: The only version number that really matters is the numeric
>>file version number in the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO.
>
>When specifically talking about different comctl32.dll versions which is the
>proper version number to quote so that everyone is on the same page? Considering
>most references of this file in newsgroup, forum etc. conversations probably
>aren't using the file version number in the VS_FIXEDFILEINFO. Or to rephrase
>this, what is most common used version number probably used?

The version being used is dependent on the O/S the user is using and
any Service Packs installed. If you want to insure "that everyone is
on the same page", then you need to make sure all the targets are
using the same O/S and SP level, or install the latest 'n greatest
yourself.

In any case it is doubtful knowing the specific "file version number"
for this or any component is useful beyond debugging or ferreting out
specific problems.

So what's the real problem?

-ralph

-mhd

Deanna Earley <dee.earley@icode.co.uk> wrote:

>"The one installed by Windows update" as the "latest" version numbers
>are different for each version of Windows.

Ah but if you followed my question, which of the version numbers is used in
conversations so everyone is on common ground. File or Product version?

-mhd