microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

I can never find proper documentation on vbaccelerator controls

(Mike Mitchell)

7/7/2011 8:54:00 PM

The vbaccelerator demos are always impressive. I have used a couple of
the simpler controls in the past. But when it comes to the replacement
TreeView, for example, or the SGrid2 control, detailed documentation
is sorely lacking. There is an overview "About the TreeView control"
on the main page, but this provides few details.

It seems the only way to discover how to deploy the control(s) in a
VB6 application is by trial and error and by studying the demo source
code, which is a very long-winded approach, to say the least.

Or am I missing something? Is there documentation hidden away
somewhere? Like a complete list of properties, methods and events,
with parameters explained?

MM
27 Answers

MikeD

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> The vbaccelerator demos are always impressive. I have used a couple of
> the simpler controls in the past. But when it comes to the replacement
> TreeView, for example, or the SGrid2 control, detailed documentation
> is sorely lacking. There is an overview "About the TreeView control"
> on the main page, but this provides few details.
>
> It seems the only way to discover how to deploy the control(s) in a
> VB6 application is by trial and error and by studying the demo source
> code, which is a very long-winded approach, to say the least.
>
> Or am I missing something? Is there documentation hidden away
> somewhere? Like a complete list of properties, methods and events,
> with parameters explained?

You ever try looking up all the properties, methods, and events in Object
Browser? I've personally never used any of those controls, but there might
even be descriptions for each that tell enough of what you need to know.
Also, check the Windows documentation for whatever the control is. For
example, you mentioned a TreeView, so check Windows' documentation on that.
Chances are, properties and methods will correspond to TVM messages, and
events will correspond to TVN notifications and perhaps a few other WM
messages. Chances are also that they will be similarly named (if whomever
wrote the control has any kind of programming sense whatsoever). You SHOULD
be able to figure things out without too much effort.

Mike

(Mike Mitchell)

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:08:13 -0400, "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> The vbaccelerator demos are always impressive. I have used a couple of
>> the simpler controls in the past. But when it comes to the replacement
>> TreeView, for example, or the SGrid2 control, detailed documentation
>> is sorely lacking. There is an overview "About the TreeView control"
>> on the main page, but this provides few details.
>>
>> It seems the only way to discover how to deploy the control(s) in a
>> VB6 application is by trial and error and by studying the demo source
>> code, which is a very long-winded approach, to say the least.
>>
>> Or am I missing something? Is there documentation hidden away
>> somewhere? Like a complete list of properties, methods and events,
>> with parameters explained?
>

>You ever try looking up all the properties, methods, and events in Object
>Browser?

Yes, that is pretty much the only way to make a (mental) list of
what's available (properties, methods etc), but often the details are
sparse, only stating what parameters are expected, but not what the
various settings can be. I've had this before. I've gone to the
vbaccelerator site, been terribly impressed, then come away again half
an hour later feeling very frustrated. I can only assume the apparent
lack of detailed docs is due to the fact that not many programmers
like writing them! I like writing; have written loads; worked as a
technical translator for years. But even I feel a groan coming on when
I know I have to write some documentation.

> I've personally never used any of those controls, but there might
>even be descriptions for each that tell enough of what you need to know.
>Also, check the Windows documentation for whatever the control is. For
>example, you mentioned a TreeView, so check Windows' documentation on that.

The TreeView does appear to be quite compatible with the Windows
version, yet as soon as I started I hit a problem:

Windows: Dim nodx As Node
vbaccelerator: Dim nodx As cTreeViewNode

so I had to start hunting straightaway. The overview I mentioned
earlier says under "cTreeViewNode":

"This object is largely compatible with the standard VB Node object,
with these enhancements:"

It then goes on to list the enhancements, yet there is no explanation
of what "largely" might mean.

Or take the description for MoveNode:

"MoveNode
Moves this Node to another position in the tree. The new location is
specified by a relative node and the relationship of the new position
to it."

So I start typing nodx.MoveNode... to pop up the yellow 'help' tip,
i.e.:

nodx.MoveNode(nodeRelative As cTreeViewNode, [eRelationship As
ETreeViewRelationshipConstants = etvwNext])

No idea what the constants are, so back to the object browser and
drill down some more. Possible settings: etvwChild=4, etvwFirst=0,
etvwLast=1, etvwNext=2, etvwPrevious=3. To note these down for later
reference I have to copy each one individually, then check its
numerical value and type that into my 'mini documentation'. Yes, the
information is there, but to go through an entire object model takes
ages, and I don't like driving in fog!

>Chances are, properties and methods will correspond to TVM messages, and
>events will correspond to TVN notifications and perhaps a few other WM
>messages. Chances are also that they will be similarly named (if whomever
>wrote the control has any kind of programming sense whatsoever). You SHOULD
>be able to figure things out without too much effort.

I just get frustated and seek out some other control instead. After
all, with TreeViews there are a number of alternatives!

Just wondered whether someone somewhere may have already been there
and done the donkey work!

MM

(Mike Mitchell)

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 21:53:49 +0100, MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>The vbaccelerator demos are always impressive. I have used a couple of
>the simpler controls in the past. But when it comes to the replacement
>TreeView, for example, or the SGrid2 control, detailed documentation
>is sorely lacking. There is an overview "About the TreeView control"
>on the main page, but this provides few details.
>
>It seems the only way to discover how to deploy the control(s) in a
>VB6 application is by trial and error and by studying the demo source
>code, which is a very long-winded approach, to say the least.
>
>Or am I missing something? Is there documentation hidden away
>somewhere? Like a complete list of properties, methods and events,
>with parameters explained?
>
>MM

I've since discovered the ActiveX Documenter on the vbaccelerator
site. This allows the object model on e.g. the replacement TreeView
control to be captured to a text file, which is very useful.

MM

Wolfgang Enzinger

MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

>So I start typing nodx.MoveNode... to pop up the yellow 'help' tip,
>i.e.:
>
>nodx.MoveNode(nodeRelative As cTreeViewNode, [eRelationship As
>ETreeViewRelationshipConstants = etvwNext])
>
>No idea what the constants are, so back to the object browser and
>drill down some more. Possible settings: etvwChild=4, etvwFirst=0,
>etvwLast=1, etvwNext=2, etvwPrevious=3. To note these down for later
>reference I have to copy each one individually, then check its
>numerical value and type that into my 'mini documentation'.

I don't really get that. Those constants are Enum members, so intellisense
does it all for me. Honestly, I never was interested in the numerical value of
any Enum member. What do you need them for?

(Mike Mitchell)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:23:26 +0200, Wolfgang Enzinger
<we_usenet@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>So I start typing nodx.MoveNode... to pop up the yellow 'help' tip,
>>i.e.:
>>
>>nodx.MoveNode(nodeRelative As cTreeViewNode, [eRelationship As
>>ETreeViewRelationshipConstants = etvwNext])
>>
>>No idea what the constants are, so back to the object browser and
>>drill down some more. Possible settings: etvwChild=4, etvwFirst=0,
>>etvwLast=1, etvwNext=2, etvwPrevious=3. To note these down for later
>>reference I have to copy each one individually, then check its
>>numerical value and type that into my 'mini documentation'.
>
>I don't really get that. Those constants are Enum members, so intellisense
>does it all for me. Honestly, I never was interested in the numerical value of
>any Enum member. What do you need them for?

I like knowing the 'full ingredients' before I start cooking!

MM

Wolfgang Enzinger

MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I like knowing the 'full ingredients' before I start cooking!

Must be The Secret of British Cuisine. ;-)

Mike Williams

"Wolfgang Enzinger" <we_usenet@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I like knowing the 'full ingredients' before I start cooking!
>
> Must be The Secret of British Cuisine. ;-)

Well I'm not at all surprised that you do not want to know the ingredients
as far as your own German cuisine is concerned, much of which consists of
ground up bone and hair and skin tissue moistened with the pulped remains of
eyes and lips and rectums and various other kinds of offal ;-)

Mike

john

In article <iveh87$16e$1@dont-email.me>, Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com (Mike Williams)
wrote:

> *From:* "Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com>
> *Date:* Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:54:20 +0100
>
> "Wolfgang Enzinger" <we_usenet@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> > MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>I like knowing the 'full ingredients' before I start cooking!
> >
> > Must be The Secret of British Cuisine. ;-)
>
> Well I'm not at all surprised that you do not want to know the
> ingredients as far as your own German cuisine is concerned, much of
> which consists of ground up bone and hair and skin tissue moistened
> with the pulped remains of eyes and lips and rectums and various
> other kinds of offal ;-)

That sounds suspiciously like *haggis to me! :^)

* A Scottish "delicacy"(?).

Regards
John

(Mike Mitchell)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:02:16 +0200, Wolfgang Enzinger
<we_usenet@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I like knowing the 'full ingredients' before I start cooking!
>
>Must be The Secret of British Cuisine. ;-)

Wiener Schnitzel - should it be pork or veal?

Details matter!

MM

(Mike Mitchell)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:54:20 +0100, "Mike Williams"
<Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"Wolfgang Enzinger" <we_usenet@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
>> MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I like knowing the 'full ingredients' before I start cooking!
>>
>> Must be The Secret of British Cuisine. ;-)
>
>Well I'm not at all surprised that you do not want to know the ingredients
>as far as your own German cuisine is concerned, much of which consists of
>ground up bone and hair and skin tissue moistened with the pulped remains of
>eyes and lips and rectums and various other kinds of offal ;-)

What utter and complete, total nonsense!

When I moved to Germany as a guest worker in 1969, little did I know
what culinary delights awaited me. But it didn't take long to find out
once I started on the various menus in many Cologne restaurants.
German food is simply delicious and very varied (look how many
varieties of sausage compared to the UK). There is no end to the
fabulous meals I've eaten since then, as I still have family ties to
Germany and pop over now and again.

As for the sausages, try some! They're all very tasty, trust me. Or
try Eisbein with Sauerkraut and Kartoffelpüree. Pure gastronomic
heaven!

MM