Anton

6/25/2011 9:55:00 PM

There is an API that will turn a form into a hollow box (header and all
controls are not visible).
Unfortunately I cannot remember it not can I find it searching.
What is that API call?

45 Answers

Dee Earley

On 25/06/2011 22:54, BeeJ wrote:
> There is an API that will turn a form into a hollow box (header and all
> controls are not visible).
> Unfortunately I cannot remember it not can I find it searching.
> What is that API call?

Just setting the border style?

If you want holes, SetWindowRgn?

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Anton

Deanna Earley wrote :
> On 25/06/2011 22:54, BeeJ wrote:
>> There is an API that will turn a form into a hollow box (header and all
>> controls are not visible).
>> Unfortunately I cannot remember it not can I find it searching.
>> What is that API call?

> Just setting the border style?

> If you want holes, SetWindowRgn?

Thanks, but not the one I was thinking of.
The API I was looking for was related to form resizing.
As the form is resized, the form becomes a "faceless" (transparent if I
remember correctly) form until the resize is released.
This was to allow not having to update controls as the form is resized
but only when the resizing has completed.
I am trying to do a non-flicker form resize.
Some code I have played with prevents form border flicker but leaves
the controls alone and visible until resizing completes. This looks
ugly. Unfortunately .Visible is used on the form for functional mode
changes.
I tried adding the SetWindoRgn you suggested and that does simulate
what I want but with a fair amount of code. The other API was a single
call to do similar.

David Youngblood

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote in message
> Deanna Earley wrote :
>> On 25/06/2011 22:54, BeeJ wrote:
>>> There is an API that will turn a form into a hollow box (header and all
>>> controls are not visible).
>>> Unfortunately I cannot remember it not can I find it searching.
>>> What is that API call?
>
>> Just setting the border style?
>
>> If you want holes, SetWindowRgn?
>
> Thanks, but not the one I was thinking of.
> The API I was looking for was related to form resizing.
> As the form is resized, the form becomes a "faceless" (transparent if I
> remember correctly) form until the resize is released.
> This was to allow not having to update controls as the form is resized but
> only when the resizing has completed.

It sounds to me from this description that you may referring to the "Show
window contents while dragging" user setting. AFAIK, that's a system wide
user setting. Maybe someone else knows otherwise.

David

Thorsten Albers

BeeJ <nospam@spamfree.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<iubdg3$vfg$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> The other API was a single
> call to do similar.

LockWindowUpdate()?

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

Wolfgang Enzinger

BeeJ <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote:

>The API I was looking for was related to form resizing.
>As the form is resized, the form becomes a "faceless" (transparent if I
>remember correctly) form until the resize is released.
>This was to allow not having to update controls as the form is resized
>but only when the resizing has completed.
>I am trying to do a non-flicker form resize.

Probably you are thinking of subclassing the form, and stopping any control
update after a WM_ENTERSIZEMOVE message until WM_EXITSIZEMOVE is signalled?

Of course, this has nothing to do with transparency.

BeeJ

on 6/28/2011, Wolfgang Enzinger supposed :
> BeeJ <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote:
>
>> The API I was looking for was related to form resizing.
>> As the form is resized, the form becomes a "faceless" (transparent if I
>> remember correctly) form until the resize is released.
>> This was to allow not having to update controls as the form is resized
>> but only when the resizing has completed.
>> I am trying to do a non-flicker form resize.
>
> Probably you are thinking of subclassing the form, and stopping any control
> update after a WM_ENTERSIZEMOVE message until WM_EXITSIZEMOVE is signalled?
>
> Of course, this has nothing to do with transparency.

I you drag a window with the Windows wide setting "Show window contents
while dragging" set off, the the window turns into a hollow
(transparent) box that you drag around.

BeeJ

on 6/28/2011, Thorsten Albers supposed :
> BeeJ <nospam@spamfree.com> schrieb im Beitrag
> <iubdg3$vfg$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>> The other API was a single
>> call to do similar.
>
> LockWindowUpdate()?

Thank you! This may be it, I'll explore this API.

Karl E. Peterson

After serious thinking Wolfgang Enzinger wrote :
> BeeJ <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote:
>
>> The API I was looking for was related to form resizing.
>> As the form is resized, the form becomes a "faceless" (transparent if I
>> remember correctly) form until the resize is released.
>> This was to allow not having to update controls as the form is resized
>> but only when the resizing has completed.
>> I am trying to do a non-flicker form resize.
>
> Probably you are thinking of subclassing the form, and stopping any control
> update after a WM_ENTERSIZEMOVE message until WM_EXITSIZEMOVE is signalled?
>
> Of course, this has nothing to do with transparency.

Regardless, Wolfgang is right.

See: http://vb.mvps.org/articles...

In particular, the second Q&A in that linked article.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

Thorsten Albers

BeeJ <nospam@live.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<iucqgk$9ud$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> on 6/28/2011, Thorsten Albers supposed :
> > LockWindowUpdate()?
>
> Thank you! This may be it, I'll explore this API.

LockWindowUpdate() is what Windows uses to prevent a window from being
drawn while it is being sized or moved. If you want to draw something in
the window although it is locked (e.g. a special frame or the like) you can
use GetDCEx() with DCX_LOCKWINDOWUPDATE.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

Anton

Thorsten Albers wrote on 2011/06/28 :
> BeeJ <nospam@live.com> schrieb im Beitrag
> <iucqgk$9ud$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>> on 6/28/2011, Thorsten Albers supposed :
>>> LockWindowUpdate()?
>>
>> Thank you! This may be it, I'll explore this API.

> LockWindowUpdate() is what Windows uses to prevent a window from being
> drawn while it is being sized or moved. If you want to draw something in
> the window although it is locked (e.g. a special frame or the like) you can
> use GetDCEx() with DCX_LOCKWINDOWUPDATE.

Not the right API. The one I remember was a single API call that did
what I described. I have been searching through my archives to no
avail ... yet.