microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

OMG ".NET: It's About Trust" Deja Vu

tmoran4511

Mayayana

http://www.i-programmer.info/professional-programmer/i-programmer/2591-dumping-net-microsofts-ma...

MS is certainly sparking conversation. There was an
article at Ars Technica yesterday.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/html5-centric-windows-8-leaves-microsoft-developers-hor...

Usually I think of them
as perhaps the most intelligent tech. news source, but
this article went on at great length only to add a teaser
at the end, saying in effect that the "webpage desktop"
is not happening:

"next time we'll take a look at the pieces of the puzzle we have, and we'll
learn why Windows 8 won't be a HTML-driven horror after all."

The author basically ackowledges that the foregoing article
is nothing more than shrill gossip mongering and that there's
more to the story that we won't get until "next time".

(That author, one Peter Bright, also characterizes VB6 as the
only "unsupported" tool for Desktop software among a group
that inculdes .Net and Silverlight. So maybe he's actually just
an AppleSeed filling in for someone else who's on vacation. :)

The article you linked is an interesting display of just
how far afield .Net people have been led with the scam that
the MS Java clone is for Desktop, Web and everything in
between. The author is seriously putting Silverlight forward
as the intelligent choice for a new Windows Desktop, making
no real distinction between Windows API, .Net managed wrapper,
Silverlight browser plugin, and javascript in the browser, in terms
of their potential as "APIs"! At one point the author seems to
be weighing a choice between C++ and javascript... The blurring
between local and "cloud" is clearly in full force among all
forward-thinking bandwagon jumpers. :)

Karl E. Peterson

Shotgun Thom wrote :
> Posted with a bit of a smile on my face:
>
> http://www.i-programmer.info/professional-programmer/i-programmer/2591-dumping-net-microsofts-ma...

They all scoffed at the Neimoller references ten years ago.

And then they came for them...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

Tom Shelton

Karl E. Peterson used his keyboard to write :
> Shotgun Thom wrote :
>> Posted with a bit of a smile on my face:
>>
>> http://www.i-programmer.info/professional-programmer/i-programmer/2591-dumping-net-microsofts-ma...
>
> They all scoffed at the Neimoller references ten years ago.
>
> And then they came for them...

I'm still scoffing...

1) Silverlight - yes, it maybe dead (who really cares) - though not
for sometime now. See Jupiter for the reason.

2) .NET is not dead - even if ms were to move to an html5/js only
front end (which it won't, see above), it would still be the primary
developement tool for the backend services that the front end would
rely on.

All of this is the result of a bunch of scarred little girls ranting
because their favorite tech didn't get mentioned in a 10 minute demo.
Until there is an actual official announcement, it's business as usual.

--
Tom Shelton

Karl E. Peterson

Tom Shelton formulated on Tuesday :
> Karl E. Peterson used his keyboard to write :
>> Shotgun Thom wrote :
>>> Posted with a bit of a smile on my face:
>>>
>>> http://www.i-programmer.info/professional-programmer/i-programmer/2591-dumping-net-microsofts-ma...
>>
>> They all scoffed at the Neimoller references ten years ago.
>>
>> And then they came for them...
>
> I'm still scoffing...

Seems to come rather naturally to you, yes. :-)

> 1) Silverlight - yes, it maybe dead (who really cares)

Yeah, same thing "they" said about VB6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_cam...

Yeah, same thing "they" said about VB6. Still isn't. Eh? :-)

> All of this is the result of a bunch of scarred little girls ranting

LOL! You know when manhood comes into question, that *someone* feels
threatened. ;-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

Tom Shelton

Karl E. Peterson formulated the question :
> Tom Shelton formulated on Tuesday :
>> Karl E. Peterson used his keyboard to write :

>>> They all scoffed at the Neimoller references ten years ago.
>>>
>>> And then they came for them...
>>
>> I'm still scoffing...
>
> Seems to come rather naturally to you, yes. :-)

Yes - I am laughing at all of the hysteria. Especially, comming from
this group. What do you care one way or the other? Only thing we know
for sure is that VB.CLASSIC has absolutely no future on future versions
of windows.

>> 1) Silverlight - yes, it maybe dead (who really cares)
>
> Yeah, same thing "they" said about VB6.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_cam...
>
>> 2) .NET is not dead -
>
> Yeah, same thing "they" said about VB6. Still isn't. Eh? :-)
>
>> All of this is the result of a bunch of scarred little girls ranting
>
> LOL! You know when manhood comes into question, that *someone* feels
> threatened. ;-)

I don't feel threatened in the least. I find this whole thing rather
amusing. Use your brain Karl - I know you have one, you are probably
one of the smartest people I've ever come across on usnet - you know as
well as I do that .NET is not going anywhere. Killing it would
absolutely devistate MS in the enterprise... Besides, you aren't going
to be writting services and complex apps using html5 and JavaScript
anytime soon. But, if the worst happens - I'll do what I have done
before - move on.

--
Tom Shelton

ralph

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:32:26 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Shotgun Thom wrote :
>> Posted with a bit of a smile on my face:
>>
>> http://www.i-programmer.info/professional-programmer/i-programmer/2591-dumping-net-microsofts-ma...
>
>They all scoffed at the Neimoller references ten years ago.
>
>And then they came for them...

I of course got a kick out of this ...

"Many are already jumping ship but to go to what?

The only credible language that remains is C/C++ as it is what most of
the systems, including the mobile system we use, are built with.

Not only am I avoiding using WPF for future projects I have been
seriously considering going back to C++."

Thirty-plus years and still counting. <bg>

-ralph

Karl E. Peterson

Tom Shelton formulated on Tuesday :
> Karl E. Peterson formulated the question :
>> Tom Shelton formulated on Tuesday :
>>> Karl E. Peterson used his keyboard to write :

>>> I'm still scoffing...
>>
>> Seems to come rather naturally to you, yes. :-)
>
> Yes - I am laughing at all of the hysteria. Especially, comming from this
> group. What do you care one way or the other?

Like you, apparently(?), I'm mainly amused.

>>> All of this is the result of a bunch of scarred little girls ranting
>>
>> LOL! You know when manhood comes into question, that *someone* feels
>> threatened. ;-)
>
> I don't feel threatened in the least.

Uh huh. <g>

> that .NET is not going anywhere. Killing it would absolutely devistate MS in
> the enterprise... Besides, you aren't going to be writting services and
> complex apps using html5 and JavaScript anytime soon. But, if the worst
> happens - I'll do what I have done before - move on.

Y'know, it's almost like they've come to the realization that The
Enterprise isn't where The Future lies anymore? Just as they embraced
it, to the death of their consumer market, in the 90s, now they've
decided that maybe that might've been a bit of a mistake? They're
noticing that Google and Apple are doing pretty damned well, actually,
without giving a rip one way or another. It's the consumer market that
matters now. If you want to make a stab at the Big Money. We've all
certainly seen what Ballmer's obsession with The Enterprise has done
for the company, haven't we?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

Karl E. Peterson

After serious thinking ralph wrote :
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:32:26 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Shotgun Thom wrote :
>>> Posted with a bit of a smile on my face:
>>>
>>> http://www.i-programmer.info/professional-programmer/i-programmer/2591-dumping-net-microsofts-ma...
>>
>> They all scoffed at the Neimoller references ten years ago.
>>
>> And then they came for them...
>
> I of course got a kick out of this ...
>
> "Many are already jumping ship but to go to what?
>
> The only credible language that remains is C/C++ as it is what most of
> the systems, including the mobile system we use, are built with.
>
> Not only am I avoiding using WPF for future projects I have been
> seriously considering going back to C++."
>
> Thirty-plus years and still counting. <bg>

Heheheh... :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

mikeb

"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton@comcast.invalid> wrote in message
> Karl E. Peterson formulated the question :
>> Tom Shelton formulated on Tuesday :
>>> Karl E. Peterson used his keyboard to write :

>>> I'm still scoffing...
>>
>> Seems to come rather naturally to you, yes. :-)
>>

> Yes - I am laughing at all of the hysteria. Especially, comming from this
> group. What do you care one way or the other? Only thing we know for
> sure is that VB.CLASSIC has absolutely no future on future versions of
> windows.

Well I think it's pretty safe through win8 (win7 ver 2 plus). The win32
API is going to remain intact. And what I have read lately, MS is going to
spend a couple billion on WinC to spiff up the C++ development arena.

>> 1) Silverlight - yes, it maybe dead (who really cares)
>>
>> Yeah, same thing "they" said about VB6.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_cam...
>>
>>> 2) .NET is not dead -
>>
>> Yeah, same thing "they" said about VB6. Still isn't. Eh? :-)
>>
>>> All of this is the result of a bunch of scarred little girls ranting
>>
>> LOL! You know when manhood comes into question, that *someone* feels
>> threatened. ;-)
>
> I don't feel threatened in the least. I find this whole thing rather
> amusing. Use your brain Karl - I know you have one, you are probably one
> of the smartest people I've ever come across on usnet - you know as well
> as I do that .NET is not going anywhere. Killing it would absolutely
> devistate MS in the enterprise... Besides, you aren't going to be
> writting services and complex apps using html5 and JavaScript anytime
> soon. But, if the worst happens - I'll do what I have done before - move
> on.
>

> --
> Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

Karl E. Peterson submitted this idea :
> Tom Shelton formulated on Tuesday :
>> Karl E. Peterson formulated the question :
>>> Tom Shelton formulated on Tuesday :

>>> Seems to come rather naturally to you, yes. :-)
>>
>> Yes - I am laughing at all of the hysteria. Especially, comming from this
>> group. What do you care one way or the other?
>
> Like you, apparently(?), I'm mainly amused.

>>> LOL! You know when manhood comes into question, that *someone* feels
>>> threatened. ;-)
>>
>> I don't feel threatened in the least.
>
> Uh huh. <g>

I'm not sure why you would think that. It's just a platform like any
other.

>> that .NET is not going anywhere. Killing it would absolutely devistate MS
>> in the enterprise... Besides, you aren't going to be writting services and
>> complex apps using html5 and JavaScript anytime soon. But, if the worst
>> happens - I'll do what I have done before - move on.
>
> Y'know, it's almost like they've come to the realization that The Enterprise
> isn't where The Future lies anymore? Just as they embraced it, to the death
> of their consumer market, in the 90s, now they've decided that maybe that
> might've been a bit of a mistake? They're noticing that Google and Apple are
> doing pretty damned well, actually, without giving a rip one way or another.
> It's the consumer market that matters now. If you want to make a stab at the
> Big Money. We've all certainly seen what Ballmer's obsession with The
> Enterprise has done for the company, haven't we?

Yes, they are moving to more consumer oriented products - but, the
enteprise is still thier biggest money maker, and they can't afford to
just kill it overnight.

..NET is still a big player in that space. And even in cloud computing
- since you have to write the services in something. And even their
consumer oriented products are relying on .NET more. They have just
merged the silverlight and xna sdks and are opening it up to vb
developers. They have an appstore icon in their new xbox360 console..

All signs do not point to the death of .net. Silverlight may go away -
but, I think it's more likely that it and wpf will converge and you
will see Jupiter announced at build this sept. HTML5/JavaScript will
just be one more way to develop for the new interface.

Besides - I could always go back to my favorite of favorite langauges -
C++ :)

--
Tom Shelton