microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Which newsgroup in which to ask about installation of an app by transferring registry keys?

(Mike Mitchell)

6/10/2011 1:35:00 PM

Since Microsoft closed down the news groups I don't know any longer
where to address my question. I have an app on a Windows 98 PC, but no
longer have the installation disk. Can I transfer the app to another
PC by copying the relevant keys, values and data from the registry,
using .reg files?

MM
6 Answers

Dee Earley

On 10/06/2011 14:35, MM wrote:
> Since Microsoft closed down the news groups I don't know any longer
> where to address my question. I have an app on a Windows 98 PC, but no
> longer have the installation disk. Can I transfer the app to another
> PC by copying the relevant keys, values and data from the registry,
> using .reg files?

It depends on the application.
If it only replies on it's own folder, and certain keys in the registry,
then yes.
If it drops files in other places, has COM DLLs or any number of other
things, unlikely.
Only the authors will know for sure.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Mayayana

In addition to Dee's post...

If you can find an old version of Quarterdeck Clean Sweep,
from before Symantec got their hands on it, that will transfer
just about anything automatically.
There may be other, similar software. Without that you might
need to just move the software and then move system files
until you stop getting errors. You can certainly use .reg files,
but usually there's not much in the Registry. Just take the
Software\CompanyName\ keys from HKLM and HKCU. Beyond that
there could be file extension reg. and or shell extension reg.,
but those are unlikely to be critical.
In rare cases software will put things in Program FilesCommon Files, but I think it's mostly only MS that does that.

| Since Microsoft closed down the news groups I don't know any longer
| where to address my question. I have an app on a Windows 98 PC, but no
| longer have the installation disk. Can I transfer the app to another
| PC by copying the relevant keys, values and data from the registry,
| using .reg files?
|
| MM

Dee Earley

On 10/06/2011 15:29, Mayayana wrote:
> In rare cases software will put things in Program Files> Common Files, but I think it's mostly only MS that does that.

Not so rare..
It's used by most software companies that have files common to multiple
products as its name infers.

Mine contains the following (non MS) folders:
Apple, Bosch, Business Objects, Cisco Systems, DivX Shared, Earlsoft,
InstallShield, Java, McAfee, SafeNet Dog, TortoiseOverlays, X10, and our
very own iCode Systems.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team
http://www.icode.co.uk...

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

(Mike Mitchell)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:48:10 +0100, Dee Earley
<dee.earley@icode.co.uk> wrote:

>On 10/06/2011 15:29, Mayayana wrote:
>> In rare cases software will put things in Program Files>> Common Files, but I think it's mostly only MS that does that.
>
>Not so rare..
>It's used by most software companies that have files common to multiple
>products as its name infers.
>
>Mine contains the following (non MS) folders:
>Apple, Bosch, Business Objects, Cisco Systems, DivX Shared, Earlsoft,
>InstallShield, Java, McAfee, SafeNet Dog, TortoiseOverlays, X10, and our
>very own iCode Systems.

Thanks for the tips, Mayayana, too.

MM

ralph

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:35:01 +0100, MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Since Microsoft closed down the news groups I don't know any longer
>where to address my question. I have an app on a Windows 98 PC, but no
>longer have the installation disk. Can I transfer the app to another
>PC by copying the relevant keys, values and data from the registry,
>using .reg files?

Also you might run Dependency Walker and capture a list of needed
components.
http://www.dependencyw...

Mayayana

| Mine contains the following (non MS) folders:
| Apple, Bosch, Business Objects, Cisco Systems, DivX Shared, Earlsoft,
| InstallShield, Java, McAfee, SafeNet Dog, TortoiseOverlays, X10, and our
| very own iCode Systems.

I didn't know that. Mine only has one folder
for my Logitech trackball and an MSI for an
NVidia driver. (I have InstallShield but that's
only their own installer software.)