microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Smart Indenter loses VB6 IDE Find button

Jimekus

6/10/2011 2:44:00 AM

Hello,

I've recently come across the Smart Indenter add-in and though I
didn't know it, it had caused my VB6.0 IDE to lose its Find icon. Then
about a month after I had reinstalled VB6 to recover my Find and Undo
icons, I again put in the utility. Sure enough the Find and Undo icons
went missing again.

Run and Halt have now gone too. The other add-ins that I use are MZ-
Tools 3.0, vbAdvance and CodeHelp. Uninstalling SmartIndenter didn't
help.

Can someone please give me a clue as to what is happening and help me
recover the icons without a reinstall.

Thanks,

Jim
6 Answers

ralph

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Jimekus <jimekus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've recently come across the Smart Indenter add-in and though I
>didn't know it, it had caused my VB6.0 IDE to lose its Find icon. Then
>about a month after I had reinstalled VB6 to recover my Find and Undo
>icons, I again put in the utility. Sure enough the Find and Undo icons
>went missing again.
>
>Run and Halt have now gone too. The other add-ins that I use are MZ-
>Tools 3.0, vbAdvance and CodeHelp. Uninstalling SmartIndenter didn't
>help.
>
>Can someone please give me a clue as to what is happening and help me
>recover the icons without a reinstall.

PRB: Toolbox or Menu Items Are Missing in the Visual Basic IDE
http://support.microsoft.com...

-ralph

Jimekus

On Jun 10, 3:21 pm, ralph <nt_consultin...@yahoo.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Jimekus <jime...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
>
> >I've recently come across the Smart Indenter add-in and though I
> >didn't know it, it had caused my VB6.0 IDE to lose its Find icon. Then
> >about a month after I had reinstalled VB6 to recover my Find and Undo
> >icons, I again put in the utility. Sure enough the Find and Undo icons
> >went missing again.
>
> >Run and Halt have now gone too. The other add-ins that I use are MZ-
> >Tools 3.0, vbAdvance and CodeHelp. Uninstalling SmartIndenter didn't
> >help.
>
> >Can someone please give me a clue as to what is happening and help me
> >recover the icons without a reinstall.
>
> PRB: Toolbox or Menu Items Are Missing in the Visual Basic IDEhttp://support.microsoft.com...
>
> -ralph

Brilliant - thanks

Jimekus

On Jun 10, 5:39 pm, Jimekus <jime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 3:21 pm, ralph <nt_consultin...@yahoo.net> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Jimekus <jime...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >Hello,
>
> > >I've recently come across the Smart Indenter add-in and though I
> > >didn't know it, it had caused my VB6.0 IDE to lose its Find icon. Then
> > >about a month after I had reinstalled VB6 to recover my Find and Undo
> > >icons, I again put in the utility. Sure enough the Find and Undo icons
> > >went missing again.
>
> > >Run and Halt have now gone too. The other add-ins that I use are MZ-
> > >Tools 3.0, vbAdvance and CodeHelp. Uninstalling SmartIndenter didn't
> > >help.
>
> > >Can someone please give me a clue as to what is happening and help me
> > >recover the icons without a reinstall.
>
> > PRB: Toolbox or Menu Items Are Missing in the Visual Basic IDEhttp://support.microsoft.com...
>
> > -ralph
>
> Brilliant - thanks

I chimed in too soon. I was hoping for something permanent that does
not have to be done each time the IDE is opened. Even after
uninstalling SmartIndenter and cleaning the registry and rebooting VB6
is still needing to have the Standard toolbar reset each time.

Any more ideas?

Jason Keats

Jimekus wrote:
> I chimed in too soon. I was hoping for something permanent that does
> not have to be done each time the IDE is opened. Even after
> uninstalling SmartIndenter and cleaning the registry and rebooting VB6
> is still needing to have the Standard toolbar reset each time.
>
> Any more ideas?

I have used MZ-Tools 3 and Smart Indenter for years. However, I have
suffered no loss of the Find or Undo icons.

It wouldn't bother me if they did go missing; because I don't use them.
The MZ-Tools Find is far better, and Ctrl+Z works to undo changes.

ralph

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:25:43 -0700 (PDT), Jimekus <jimekus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I chimed in too soon. I was hoping for something permanent that does
>not have to be done each time the IDE is opened. Even after
>uninstalling SmartIndenter and cleaning the registry and rebooting VB6
>is still needing to have the Standard toolbar reset each time.
>
>Any more ideas?

The VBIDE saves its settings at ...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0
(and also on occasion some items at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Visual
Basic\5.0)

When you have your project setup the way you want it. Open Regedit and
save that key/node in a .reg file. Then everytime it screws up run the
..reg file to put everything back.
You can get creative and make a batch file that runs the .reg then
launches VB, etc.

But it is unusual for a 'popular' Add-On to be so consistently
destructive, ie, you might occasionally have an issue when they are
'loaded' or first installed, but after that the settings usually stay
set. Mainly because most of those Add-Ons have been around for years
and most likely a problem like that would have been fixed. Jason says
he uses it and never had a problem.

There might be something else going on. Perhaps it is another Add-On
that is the real root of the problem. ie, the combination of
SmartIdentor and something else. <just guessing>

You might try using the RegMon tool at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...
and see if you can detect who or what is actually tinkering with the
settings and under what conditions.
[Every developer needs that suite anyway.]

You might want to unload all Addons, then load SmartIndenter and see
it is the problem. Correct it, then load other Addons, one at a time,
to see if another causes the problem.

Is there perhaps something unusual about your environment/install.
Running on Windows7, for example, and not as admin and "run as admin"
when you go to install. <again just blind guessing> <bg>

-ralph

Jimekus

> Is there perhaps something unusual about your environment/install.
> Running on Windows7, for example, and not as admin and "run as admin"
> when you go to install. <again just blind guessing> <bg>
>
> -ralph

SmartIndenter was still seen by the Add-In Manager even though I had
run on XP the Add/Remove Programs. I found the OfficeAutomation folder
under Program Files still had the dll and also the entry was still in
the Visual Basic > 6.0 registry under Addins. Deleting both and a
final Reset to the Standard Toolbar seems to have stabilized my IDE
and it now reloads with the Find icon.

There was a remnant of an addin called WheelMouseFix but it has been
turned off since I found CodeHelp. Completely removing WheelMouseFix
didn't affect the SmartIndenter problem, which is now un-installed,
but as soon as I install it again, each time I exit the IDE, the icons
disappear one-by-one.

As Jason says, there are other ways to get the lost functions, but as
a matter of interest the one I couldn't do without is the Redo button.
Is there any way that a keystroke can be assign to that one?