Ian Post

6/7/2011 5:19:00 PM

Within the confines of VB6 Enterprise, what is the best way to create a
web page?

Will this work with browsers other than IE?

Recommended books or web sites to study for web page development using
VB6 enterprise?

28 Answers

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

BeeJ <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in

> Within the confines of VB6 Enterprise, what is the best way to
> create a web page?

Notepad. Seriously. VB isn't a web page authoring tool.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

"BeeJ" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Within the confines of VB6 Enterprise, what is the best way to create a
> web page?

fileNum = FreeFile
Open "SomePage.htm" For Output As #fileNum
Print #fileNum, "<html>"
[etc.]
Print #fileName, "</html>"
Close #fileNum

What exactly ARE you asking about?

ralph

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:18:45 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Within the confines of VB6 Enterprise, what is the best way to create a
>web page?
>
>Will this work with browsers other than IE?
>
>Recommended books or web sites to study for web page development using
>VB6 enterprise?

MS is surprising candid about using VB6 (VS6) for Web Development.

This is gives an over-all view of the tools involved.
"Web Programming for Visual Basic 6.0 Users"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar...(v=vs.90).aspx

View that list and then browse for books on tools of interest. Most
have been reduced to the cost of shipping. The Wrox series is the best
for all the necessarily but dirty details.

Not nearly as bad as it once was - most Browsers are amazingly adapt
at rendering about anything - however some entities won't allow an
unsigned ActiveX control or document come Hell or High Water. <g>

But what it comes down to is what do you mean by "creating a web
page"? From what, to do what, to go where, ... ?

Finally - not expectedly <g> - do you really want to do this? Outside
of ASP (though you will get an argument there as well), most of the
"Web" stuff for VS 6 was quick stuff thrown in at the last minute to
give poor MS a "come-from-behind" presence. You can download a ton of
free tools/utilities/servers that will make your "Web development" a
D*mn sight easier and saner.

But don't let me discourage you. I like working with ex-ASP and Web
Classes programmers. They got that look and the internal resolve of a
true lean 'n mean, battle-hardened, and scarred combat veteran. Highly
adaptable to new tools - as anything is an improvement.

-ralph

Mayayana

Never use anything from MS for creating webpages.

Basically, your choices are to learn HTML and CSS or
to use a WYSIWYG editor ("what you see is what you
get") that lets you drag/drop the page visually. A lot of
people use those, but you shouldn't try to do anything
involved unless you code by hand.

The de rigeur editor among web designers who don't
actually know how to write webpages is Adobe's grossly
overpriced Dreamweaver.

For writing the code yourself, there are lots of decent,
free editors available that will just provide basic color
syntax highlighting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_HT...

GUCS suggested Notepad. That certainly works. Personally
I think it's *much* easier to have color syntax highlighting,
some kind of automatic preview, and a few other amenities.

If you are going to have a website and care at all about
graphics then I'd suggest you learn HTML and CSS. Then
write webpages and test them in different browsers. (That's
another topic.) If you just want to put something online and
don't care if it looks like a bad RTF file then you can just find
something to convert text to HTML. If you have MS Word I
think that will save to HTML. But, again, it's best to avoid
anything from MS when dealing with webpages.

| Within the confines of VB6 Enterprise, what is the best way to create a
| web page?

VB6 is not for webpages.

| Will this work with browsers other than IE?

Webpages are not like compiled software. It's simple
text-based code that tells browsers how to lay out
the content of a page. Unfortunately, it's not well
standardized. Each browser is a little different. But
that's details to deal with after you're actually writing
webpages.

| Recommended books or web sites to study for web page development using
| VB6 enterprise?

If you really want to learn, get the ...in 24 hours books
on HTML and CSS. With what you get there you'll know
what you're doing. The rest is just fiddling with details.

BeeJ

So I guess what I heard about ActiveX Documents may be old news and not
the best way to go any more?

Nobody

"BeeJ" <nospam@live.com> wrote in message
> So I guess what I heard about ActiveX Documents may be old news and
> not the best way to go any more?

You are correct.

Mayayana

| So I guess what I heard about ActiveX Documents may be old news and not
| the best way to go any more?

I had to look that one up. I've never used such a thing.
As far as I can tell, it doesn't have any advantages over
an OCX. It seems to just be emphasizing the use of VB
forms, but VB forms can be shown from any kind of
compiled ActiveX.

This all depends on what you're trying to do. The best
way to go where? Why would you want an ActiveX Document?
To show it in IE? In that case it won't work in any other
browser. In general, one should never use ActiveX controls in
webpages unless it's for an HTA and you know the distribution.
That's because ActiveX only works in IE, and with typical
security settings IE will not load an ActiveX control unless it's
marked safe for scripting and is signed. So your control is likely to
only be useful to people who want to use your webpage as an HTA
and who understand that they'll have to register the control first.

(An HTA is basically a webpage in IE with no security. The only
limitation is that it must be run locally. IE will not load a remote
HTA. HTAs came in with IE5, as a way to allow continued use of
IE for interactive software, while still increasing IE's security in
online use. Technically, an HTA is run by mshta.exe, but that's just
a wrapper, in the sense that the IE "chrome" is just a wrapper. IE,
WB controls, and HTAs are all essentially IE browser windows.
The differences in how they work are minimal.)

It's not clear to me whether you want to create a webpage
for the Web and misunderstand the concept, or whether you
want to create some kind of automation to be used by a
limited audience offline.

All of the ActiveX stuff (and Java and .Net for
that matter) are way out of date for use online. ActiveX came out
of a time when browser wars were raging and safety online was
not an issue. In 1998, when VS6 came out, MS was trying to
get market share by tying Windows to IE and IE to the Internet.
ActiveX controls became a way to make IE far more functional
than other browsers. Maybe someone else has better info.
about AxDocs, but to me it looks like they were just an attempt
by MS to popularize fullscale Windows software running in the
browser: A full-page ActiveX control. (Sort of a reverse cloud, I
guess -- using local software that appears to be online, as opposed
to olnie software that appears to be local. :) But Ax, Java and
..Net were never suited to any "online" usage other than on a
closed, controlled, secure intranet.

So, if you want an online webpage you want HTML and CSS,
with javascript and/or server-side code if it's absolutely necessary.

If you want automation options you can use an HTA and/or
ActiveX OCX/DLL/EXE.

Sorry if this is more info. than you want. It's hard to know
what to answer without knowing what you're trying to do.

Tony Toews

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:18:45 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Within the confines of VB6 Enterprise, what is the best way to create a
>web page?

Are you expecting to use VB6 to create the web page .htm files?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...

ralph

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 07:05:37 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@live.com> wrote:

>So I guess what I heard about ActiveX Documents may be old news and not
>the best way to go any more?

An ActiveX Document is a COM feature. They were designed to provide a
rich GUI tier for multitier, distributed applications. In that role
they work well - what user or developer wouldn't prefer the features
and abilities of a VB Form over DHTML? They work fine as powerful "Web
Pages".

[Not to say things haven't improved, but, think about it, those
improvements are only now catching up to match a GUI you could throw
together in a few hours 12 years ago in VB. <g>]

Unfortunately, they require an COM Container (IE can provide one,
other browsers can not) and a high degree of trust, thus they are
limited by practical and security concerns to an intranet and
downright dangerous in an internet setting, ie, a useful architecture
for one's internal Business suites and highly trusted clients, but not
for the highway and public consumption.

So if you are using VB, plan to keep using VB, and are providing
"in-house" solutions - go for it.

[Also, it is interesting to note, ActiveX Documents actually migrate
well (or perhaps "better" would be a better description) to .Net and
hybrid .Net solutions, as do most multitier architectures.]

-ralph

ralph

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:56:17 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:18:45 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Within the confines of VB6 Enterprise, what is the best way to create a
>>web page?
>
>Are you expecting to use VB6 to create the web page .htm files?

The OP made clearer with his subsquent question he was thinking about
using ActiveX Documents as "web pages". In that case one merely
bundles a VB Form into an ActiveX Document. No HTML is involved.

While HTML is often used to 'open' an ActiveX Document, there are
other mechanisms available to work with ActiveX Documents (or ObjDocs)
more efficiently.

While "web page" is a useful description and metaphor, ActiveX
Documents are not limited to IE. They can be used by any application
that can provide an OLE Container. Thus they were often used to
provide additional functionality to distributed Office and other 3rd
party applications, as well as home-grown applications.

-ralph