microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

So Windows 8 is now slghtly public

Tony Toews

6/2/2011 5:00:00 AM

Anyone know if the VB6 runtime is included in the OS?
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...

ralph

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 22:59:47 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Anyone know if the VB6 runtime is included in the OS?

I don't, and I don't think anyone outside of Redmond does either.

The few copies of Windows 8 I have seen didn't include the runtime,
but a ton of other stuff was missing as well, such as DAC. (but OLE
was there.)

A lot of people are in a panic because MS's official statement is "...
there are no plans to support the VB Runtime past Windows 7". But they
have made similar statements about other deprecated products and newer
O/Ss.

Fundamentally there is little magic associated with the VB Runtime -
it is a 32-bit application that uses COM like a hundred others out
there. If they dropped it from the O/S you could just install it
yourself. I don't see MS breaking 32-bit applications or COM anytime
soon. [But who knows? Maybe Windows 8 will only come in 64-bit and COM
will be strictly forbidden? Doubtful. Too many 32-bit apps still out
there. 16-bit is still supported and I haven't seen one launched with
a constructive purpose in years. <g>]

The bigger issue is with the VBIDE. VB likes to consider itself the
sole 'owner' of its resources and likes to manhandle the Registry at
will. I see something of a possible collision course there. But even
then there will likely be a work-around. [A signed manifest and you're
back in business abusing the Registry and system services to your
heart's content. <bg>]

I wouldn't worry about it.

Mayayana

I saw a couple of articles yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't
have access to see "a few copies", like Ralph does. :)

Microsoft has been trying hard to head in the direction
of interactive cable TV for many years now - since XP
came out. If you count Active Desktop, they've been
trying to "monetize" Windows usage since 1998. First they
tried to get people shopping while they palyed the middleman.
Now they also hope to sell software usage. Each Windows
version reduces control by the end-user, to the point that
MS already has more access to a PC than the owner does.
That's been the major pre-requisite to getting their "bill 'em twice"
brainstorm off the ground -- they need for people to see PCs
as semi-public service appliances rather than as personal
belongings.

A notable pattern in Microsoft's ambitions has been the
general lack of specific direction. In other words, they want
to rent software, make money on web services, etc., but
they're basically playing follow the leader.

This interesting quote is part of Ars Technica's coverage:

"One of the application tiles is a full-blown Windows 7 desktop, and this is
where legacy applications will run. The new-style interface and new-style
applications will be clean and modern, but none of this extended to the
traditional applications, which are stuck in their own little ghetto."

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-int...

From what I've found it sounds like:

* Current Win8 is more focus group research than product.

* MS is trying to cover all the bases. They don't want to
lose the corporate market while they try to "pull an iPhone".
The quote above indicates that they *hope* to reduce
the PC to e-shopping, while running something like a
sandboxed OS VM on the side for diehards.

* The alternate software style talked about is really nothing
more than IE fullscreen, but they're presenting it as part of
a dual IDE. (And the lapdog media are only too happy to
repeat that, over and over.)

I see every reason to expect more of what MS has been doing:
They probably won't disable real software, but they'll make it
increasingly unattractive. I imagine the average new PC user
seeing a Desktop with links to OfficeOnline, MyPics Online,
MyFriends Online, MyMoviesAndMusic Online, etc. They'll then
be coerced to get a Live ID and an "MS Wallet" of some kind.
So who needs software? It's like AOL all over again. Or is it
WebTV?
But there's one bright spot I can think of: The Android software
market has demonstrated an old truism that MS will face: Only
Apple customers are stupid enough to pay for unnecessary online
trinkets. :)

| Anyone know if the VB6 runtime is included in the OS?
| --
| Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
| Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...
| Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blo...
| For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
| updated see http://www.autofeup...

ralph

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:10:33 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> I saw a couple of articles yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't
>have access to see "a few copies", like Ralph does. :)

My statement that I've "seen" a few copies of Windows 8 is an
exaggeration.

To be honest what I've "seen" is some advanced Windows "stuff"
released for testing and then only viewed casually. While it is likely
this "stuff" may be part of an upcoming MS platform or product release
- there is no way of knowing and it certainly isn't labeled as such.

Any assumption that I have "seen" an early release of "Windows 8" is
mine and mine alone.

-ralph

Tony Toews

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 01:17:49 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
wrote:

>If they dropped it from the O/S you could just install it
>yourself.

Trouble is my app does not require any admin privileges to setup and
use. It's a drag and drop deploy. It's also an app that is only used
in corporate environments and by Access folks so I want the folks who
are playing with it to have as painless a time as possible.

I've been told that you can just put the VB6 runtime in the same
folder as your exe and it will work just fine too. But that's one
more complexity.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...
Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blo...
updated see http://www.autofeup...

Tony Toews

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:10:33 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> Microsoft has been trying hard to head in the direction
>of interactive cable TV for many years now -

Oops. I don't own a TV. Will this cause me problems? <smile>

>If you count Active Desktop, they've been
>trying to "monetize" Windows usage since 1998.

I never did understand that Active Desktop stuff.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...
Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blo...
updated see http://www.autofeup...

ralph

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:54:22 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 01:17:49 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
>wrote:
>
>>If they dropped it from the O/S you could just install it
>>yourself.
>
>Trouble is my app does not require any admin privileges to setup and
>use. It's a drag and drop deploy. It's also an app that is only used
>in corporate environments and by Access folks so I want the folks who
>are playing with it to have as painless a time as possible.
>
>I've been told that you can just put the VB6 runtime in the same
>folder as your exe and it will work just fine too. But that's one
>more complexity.

Yeah, I had an idea that was your main concern.

But your situation is no different that any one else that uses a
development platform that depends on a "Runtime" and worse a
deprecated one. Or depends on a particular library.

[What about people who had an investment in .Net Foundation Library 2?
But that's another story.]

I'm reminded of a discussion back in the pre-.Net days when it was VC
vs. VB. It was with some amusement I notice one particular respondent
pointing out with glee that VB depended on a separate Runtime while
his MFC application did not.

That was not quite true. There is a MFC Runtime (and a VC one) and
most Window Apps require it to be present. Now VC does have the
advantage of being able to compile in those libraries and producing a
large, independent, and bloated executable - no matter it was huge and
tough to deliver. Luckily that is not an issue because MS hasn't
deprecated the MFC/VC 'Runtimes' - YET. <g>

You're lucky. You have apparently missed out on the good old days when
not only we weren't sure if the VB Runtime was installed, we couldn't
be sure what version it might be. We couldn't be sure of ADO, or Jet,
drivers, or even MS Office versions or formats.

Nor apparently ever worked with any development platform, such as
Borland - where we could be almost positive that none of the
supporting libraries would be present.

"Drag and drop deploying" a single executable works only if all
dependancies are satisfied. If someone else doesn't provide that
service then you have to.

But at the risk of getting flamed why are you even bothering to fret
about it? Let's take a look at the facts.

1) VB is essentially dead as a "supported" product as far as Microsoft
is concerned.
2) They announced that 12 years ago. Even allowing for a period of
disbelief and hope, everyone has had at least 8 years to notice they
seem to be serious and make a change to another development tool.
3) If you still are using VB (which currently still works well enough
by the way) then fine, but you have been warned - "there are no plans
to support VB Runtime after Windows 7".
ie, if you make an investment and you are told there are "no plans" to
provide any future returns on your investment - would you still make
the investment. Maybe, maybe not - that is your risk.
4) They are now chiseling away at VBA (VB's core). (There might be a
pattern here.)
5) If the risk to your investment is beyond your comfort level then it
is time to seek out another development platform, one that currently
supported and is more likely to be supported in the future.*
OR, plan on working out a strategy to "drag and drop deploy" several
files, not just one.

-ralph
[*That last part saddens me. For years one of the main reasons I stuck
with Microsoft was their record on "backward-compatibility". Most
software investments were relatively 'safe' compared to any other
vendor - but that is no longer the case.]

Tom Shelton

ralph was thinking very hard :
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:54:22 -0600, Tony Toews
> <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 01:17:49 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If they dropped it from the O/S you could just install it
>>> yourself.
>>
>> Trouble is my app does not require any admin privileges to setup and
>> use. It's a drag and drop deploy. It's also an app that is only used
>> in corporate environments and by Access folks so I want the folks who
>> are playing with it to have as painless a time as possible.
>>
>> I've been told that you can just put the VB6 runtime in the same
>> folder as your exe and it will work just fine too. But that's one
>> more complexity.
>>

> Yeah, I had an idea that was your main concern.
>
> But your situation is no different that any one else that uses a
> development platform that depends on a "Runtime" and worse a
> deprecated one. Or depends on a particular library.
>
> [What about people who had an investment in .Net Foundation Library 2?
> But that's another story.]

Yes it is - because I've never heard of such a thing. Not for .NET...
Are you talking about the old J++ Java based windowing library? That
was Java not .NET and it was deprecated when they went to J#. Which is
also dead - because there were only like 3 people using J++ and like
another one using J#.

> I'm reminded of a discussion back in the pre-.Net days when it was VC
> vs. VB. It was with some amusement I notice one particular respondent
> pointing out with glee that VB depended on a separate Runtime while
> his MFC application did not.
>
> That was not quite true. There is a MFC Runtime (and a VC one) and
> most Window Apps require it to be present. Now VC does have the
> advantage of being able to compile in those libraries and producing a
> large, independent, and bloated executable - no matter it was huge and
> tough to deliver. Luckily that is not an issue because MS hasn't
> deprecated the MFC/VC 'Runtimes' - YET. <g>

If you absolutely must be a single file deploy and you have to support
systems pre/vista then you are limited to only a couple of choices
really. C++ and Delphi are the only ones that come to mind - there are
others, but those are the only two that I know of that can 1) staticly
compile and 2) cross compile to ARM. I think this needs to be a
consideration, as there are going to be ARM based netbooks, tablets,
phones, etc running windows 8.

> You're lucky. You have apparently missed out on the good old days when
> not only we weren't sure if the VB Runtime was installed, we couldn't
> be sure what version it might be. We couldn't be sure of ADO, or Jet,
> drivers, or even MS Office versions or formats.
>
> Nor apparently ever worked with any development platform, such as
> Borland - where we could be almost positive that none of the
> supporting libraries would be present.
>
> "Drag and drop deploying" a single executable works only if all
> dependancies are satisfied. If someone else doesn't provide that
> service then you have to.
>
> But at the risk of getting flamed why are you even bothering to fret
> about it? Let's take a look at the facts.
>
> 1) VB is essentially dead as a "supported" product as far as Microsoft
> is concerned.
> 2) They announced that 12 years ago. Even allowing for a period of
> disbelief and hope, everyone has had at least 8 years to notice they
> seem to be serious and make a change to another development tool.
> 3) If you still are using VB (which currently still works well enough
> by the way) then fine, but you have been warned - "there are no plans
> to support VB Runtime after Windows 7".
> ie, if you make an investment and you are told there are "no plans" to
> provide any future returns on your investment - would you still make
> the investment. Maybe, maybe not - that is your risk.
> 4) They are now chiseling away at VBA (VB's core). (There might be a
> pattern here.)

Yes... easy cross platform compatability. One exe that runs on x86,
x86-64 (as a true 64-bit process), and ARM.

> 5) If the risk to your investment is beyond your comfort level then it
> is time to seek out another development platform, one that currently
> supported and is more likely to be supported in the future.*
> OR, plan on working out a strategy to "drag and drop deploy" several
> files, not just one.
>
> -ralph
> [*That last part saddens me. For years one of the main reasons I stuck
> with Microsoft was their record on "backward-compatibility". Most
> software investments were relatively 'safe' compared to any other
> vendor - but that is no longer the case.]

They still do. Your only thinking in terms of VB.CLASSIC - which even
today still works. Going forward, with ARM, x86-64, and even 128 bit
processing on the horizon, it doesn't make sense to spend time on a
dead platform.

--
Tom Shelton

Mayayana

| >If you count Active Desktop, they've been
| >trying to "monetize" Windows usage since 1998.
|
| I never did understand that Active Desktop stuff.

Remember the "Channel Bar"? It was a billboard on
the Desktop with ads for companies that could
be clicked. I remember Disney was one of them.
A lot of companies cooperated with MS to have
Channel files in the Windows\Web folder.

Bill Gates supposedly "turned Microsoft on a dime"
when he realized the Internet would be big. The
Channel Bar and browserized folder windows were
the result. They tweaked the GUI to make it look like
Windows was always online.
...But there was one problem that no one counted on:
Nobody really wanted to click ads on the Desktop in
order to go see ads online.

Thinking about Active Desktop, Windows 8 really
doesn't seem so different -- Desktop ads 2.0.

Tony Toews

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:32:35 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>| >If you count Active Desktop, they've been
>| >trying to "monetize" Windows usage since 1998.
>|
>| I never did understand that Active Desktop stuff.
>|

> Remember the "Channel Bar"?

Vaguely. Very vaguely. I recall turning off/deleting whatever it was
that was on the desktop.

> Thinking about Active Desktop, Windows 8 really
>doesn't seem so different -- Desktop ads 2.0.

As someone put it. The iPhone is just a small window into the Apple
Apps store.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...
Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blo...
updated see http://www.autofeup...

Henning

"ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net> skrev i meddelandet
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:10:33 -0400, "Mayayana"
> <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> I saw a couple of articles yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't
>>have access to see "a few copies", like Ralph does. :)
>>

> My statement that I've "seen" a few copies of Windows 8 is an
> exaggeration.
>
> To be honest what I've "seen" is some advanced Windows "stuff"
> released for testing and then only viewed casually. While it is likely
> this "stuff" may be part of an upcoming MS platform or product release
> - there is no way of knowing and it certainly isn't labeled as such.
>
> Any assumption that I have "seen" an early release of "Windows 8" is
> mine and mine alone.
>
> -ralph

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/desktop-os/2011/06/02/sinofsky-offers-glimpse-of-windows-8-40092972/...

/Henning