microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

What do I need again to run VB6 IDE under Windows 7?

Tony Toews

6/2/2011 4:23:00 AM

Folks

I know to do the install I need to do the null Java VM trick. But do
I need to change any of the properties of VB6 exe such as
compatibility mode or Run As Administrator?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...

ralph

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 22:23:22 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Folks
>
>I know to do the install I need to do the null Java VM trick. But do
>I need to change any of the properties of VB6 exe such as
>compatibility mode or Run As Administrator?
>
>Tony

You don't have to worry about compatibility mode or much of anything
else as far as the VBIDE is concerned.

The other nuances are all related to 'permissions'.

For creating a standard executable you often don't need to be or 'run
as' an Administrator, however you can run into issues if creating OCXs
or DLLs, so you will likely launch VB 'run as Adminstrator'. (Makes
senses - COM, Registry writes, etc.) Gooqle "Manifests vb.exe" for
additional issues with display themes.

[Creating an Application that needs to run as an Adminstrator is more
complex. But that like they say is another story.]

Everything else is trivial but dependent on your environment and your
development practices. You may need to change where you put things for
example.

*If you are the sole 'owner' and adminstrator, issues will be rare. If
you are working in a Corporate environment there may be additional
restrictions.

Vista and UAC was/could be a tad painful. Win7 is a lot simplier. If
you are willing to accept the 'defaults' and adapt you will have few
issues after the initial install for most environments, most of the
time. So my advice is just install and see what happens. Hard (as well
as wasteful) to list everything that might go wrong or probable fixes
you might need - easier to work with a specific problem in your
domain.

[Also install the updated controls package.]

Plenty of help available here.

-ralph