microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

how to compile with Visual Studio 6.0 my VB6 project

cghersi

3/24/2011 1:06:00 PM

Hi all,
sorry for the dumb question: I want to compile my VB6 project using
visual Studio 6.0 IDE.

With "compile" I mean to check compilation errors without running my
app.
E.g. With Option Explicit, I want to know if I forgot to dim a
variable, etc.

Is there a button in the IDE to run such check?

Thank you very much!
Bye
cghersi
6 Answers

Bob Butler

"cghersi" <cristiano.ghersi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> sorry for the dumb question: I want to compile my VB6 project using
> visual Studio 6.0 IDE.
>
> With "compile" I mean to check compilation errors without running my
> app.
> E.g. With Option Explicit, I want to know if I forgot to dim a
> variable, etc.
>
> Is there a button in the IDE to run such check?

Not really. As Mayayana said you can try to create an executable but
there's no way to just do a full syntax check without either doing that or
running the project by using the 'Run with full compile' option.

I quite often either add "Debug.Assert False"as the first executable line or
add a dummy "Sub Main" that does nothing so I can so that but not have the
code actually do anything before I can stop it.

If they ever create a VB 7 it would be a nice addition <g>

Mayayana

| Is there a button in the IDE to run such check?

Menu -> File -> Make Project

That will attempt to compile without running. It
will stop he compile at any errors.

Karl E. Peterson

Bob Butler explained :
> "cghersi" <cristiano.ghersi@gmail.com> wrote...
>> Hi all,
>> sorry for the dumb question: I want to compile my VB6 project using
>> visual Studio 6.0 IDE.
>>
>> With "compile" I mean to check compilation errors without running my
>> app.
>> E.g. With Option Explicit, I want to know if I forgot to dim a
>> variable, etc.
>>
>> Is there a button in the IDE to run such check?
>
> Not really. As Mayayana said you can try to create an executable but there's
> no way to just do a full syntax check without either doing that or running
> the project by using the 'Run with full compile' option.

The vbAdvance toolbar offers that option.

http://vb.mvps.org/tools/...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

-mhd

Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:

>Bob Butler explained :
>> "cghersi" <cristiano.ghersi@gmail.com> wrote...
>>> Hi all,
>>> sorry for the dumb question: I want to compile my VB6 project using
>>> visual Studio 6.0 IDE.
>>>
>>> With "compile" I mean to check compilation errors without running my
>>> app.
>>> E.g. With Option Explicit, I want to know if I forgot to dim a
>>> variable, etc.
>>>
>>> Is there a button in the IDE to run such check?
>>
>> Not really. As Mayayana said you can try to create an executable but there's
>> no way to just do a full syntax check without either doing that or running
>> the project by using the 'Run with full compile' option.
>
>The vbAdvance toolbar offers that option.
>
>http://vb.mvps.org/tools/...

+1 to vbAdvance.

-mhd

Abhishek

run with full compile, this will check for errors.

cghersi

On 25 Mar, 18:44, -mhd <not_r...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson <k...@exmvps.org> wrote:
>

> >Bob Butler explained :
> >> "cghersi" <cristiano.ghe...@gmail.com> wrote...

> >> Not really.  As Mayayana said you can try to create an executable but there's
> >> no way to just do a full syntax check without either doing that or running
> >> the project by using the 'Run with full compile' option.
>
> >The vbAdvance toolbar offers that option.
>
> >http://vb.mvps.org/tools/...
>
> +1 to vbAdvance.
>
> -mhd

very good!! vbAdvance is the tool I need!

Thanj you very much

bye cghersi