microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

FileCopy - Error 75 File/Access problem

Saucer Man

3/6/2011 10:45:00 PM

I have an app that copies mp3s from C: to E:. E: is a Compact Flash card.
Each mp3 is listed on a line in a text file and the app reads this
line-by-line and copies the file. The program is stopping after copying a
certain mp3 with an error 75 - path/file access error. The funny thing is,
the file is copied. Also, if I put a break in the code at the FileCopy
command, it works perfectly as I step through the code. It moves right to
the next line and continues copying without a hitch. It only fails when the
app is running normally. Anyone ever see behavior like this before?

--
Thanks.

5 Answers

Helmut_Meukel

Saucer Man wrote:
> I have an app that copies mp3s from C: to E:. E: is a Compact Flash card.
> Each mp3 is listed on a line in a text file and the app reads this
> line-by-line and copies the file. The program is stopping after copying a
> certain mp3 with an error 75 - path/file access error. The funny thing is,
> the file is copied. Also, if I put a break in the code at the FileCopy
> command, it works perfectly as I step through the code. It moves right to
> the next line and continues copying without a hitch. It only fails when the
> app is running normally. Anyone ever see behavior like this before?

Have you tried DoEvents?

Is it always the same file, regardless where it is in the list?
Does the error happen after say the thirtythird file, regardless which
file is at this position in the list?

Helmut.

(nobody)

"Saucer Man" <saucerman@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I have an app that copies mp3s from C: to E:. E: is a Compact Flash card.
>Each mp3 is listed on a line in a text file and the app reads this
>line-by-line and copies the file. The program is stopping after copying a
>certain mp3 with an error 75 - path/file access error. The funny thing is,
>the file is copied. Also, if I put a break in the code at the FileCopy
>command, it works perfectly as I step through the code. It moves right to
>the next line and continues copying without a hitch. It only fails when
>the app is running normally. Anyone ever see behavior like this before?

Is the folder that the file in open in Explorer?

Try disabling your anti-virus software to see if it's the cause.

Perhaps you could retry the copy X number of times if you get any error. Air
code:

On Error Resume Next
For i = 1 to 3
FileCopy...
If Err.Number = 0 Then
' Success
Exit For
End If
Next

Turn that into a function if you have FileCopy in multiple places.

Saucer Man

I do have a do events and the source file folder was not open in Explorer.
Today I put in a different compact flash card and it works. Strange. I
think I will implement the retrying 3 times before I fail. Thanks.

--
Thanks.
"Saucer Man" <saucerman@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I have an app that copies mp3s from C: to E:. E: is a Compact Flash card.
>Each mp3 is listed on a line in a text file and the app reads this
>line-by-line and copies the file. The program is stopping after copying a
>certain mp3 with an error 75 - path/file access error. The funny thing is,
>the file is copied. Also, if I put a break in the code at the FileCopy
>command, it works perfectly as I step through the code. It moves right to
>the next line and continues copying without a hitch. It only fails when
>the app is running normally. Anyone ever see behavior like this before?
>
> --
> Thanks.

sfdavidkaye2

"Saucer Man" <saucerman@nospam.net> wrote:

>I have an app that copies mp3s from C: to E:. E: is a Compact Flash card.
>Each mp3 is listed on a line in a text file and the app reads this
>line-by-line and copies the file. The program is stopping after copying a
>certain mp3 with an error 75 - path/file access error.

Are there non-standard characters in the filename? I find that while controls
will handle foreign characters (non-ASCII, above 127) okay, the earlier Basic
commands will not. Even if you test for the exact characters the VB
"commands" won't work properly.

Mike Scirocco

On 4/11/2011 3:08 PM, David Kaye wrote:
> "Saucer Man"<saucerman@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> I have an app that copies mp3s from C: to E:. E: is a Compact Flash card.
>> Each mp3 is listed on a line in a text file and the app reads this
>> line-by-line and copies the file. The program is stopping after copying a
>> certain mp3 with an error 75 - path/file access error.
>
> Are there non-standard characters in the filename? I find that while controls
> will handle foreign characters (non-ASCII, above 127) okay, the earlier Basic
> commands will not. Even if you test for the exact characters the VB
> "commands" won't work properly.

What is the full path and filename?