BeeJ

3/4/2011 3:21:00 PM

I have the opportunity to buy a nice laptop running Win 7/64 bit.
But it has the Home version of Win 7.
I can get an "upgrade" to Win 7/64 Pro or Ultimate.

Is Pro adequate?
Are there advantages to Ultimate?

I plan to use this to try out:
1) install a virtual XP to try out VB6 Application installs (using
Inno Setup to create the installer) and VB6 Application execution.
2) install the VB6 IDE and do development either on
a) virtual XP
b) dual boot to XP
Since doing development directly on Win 7/64 has a few
problems.
Correct?
3) do development directly on Win 7/64.
4) (as an alternative to Virtual XP) does Sandboxie run well on Win
7/64?

Answer, comments and questions appreciated.

54 Answers

Mike Williams

"BeeJ" <nospam@live.com> wrote in message

> I have the opportunity to buy a nice laptop running Win 7/64 bit.
> I plan to use this to try out:
> 1) install a virtual XP to try out VB6 . . .
> 2) install the VB6 IDE and do development either on
> a) virtual XP
> b) dual boot to XP
> 3) do development directly on Win 7/64.

Go for option 3.

Mike

Henning

"BeeJ" <nospam@live.com> skrev i meddelandet
>I have the opportunity to buy a nice laptop running Win 7/64 bit.
> But it has the Home version of Win 7.
> I can get an "upgrade" to Win 7/64 Pro or Ultimate.
>
> Is Pro adequate?
> Are there advantages to Ultimate?
>
> I plan to use this to try out:
> 1) install a virtual XP to try out VB6 Application installs (using Inno
> Setup to create the installer) and VB6 Application execution.
> 2) install the VB6 IDE and do development either on
> a) virtual XP
> b) dual boot to XP
> Since doing development directly on Win 7/64 has a few problems.
> Correct?
> 3) do development directly on Win 7/64.
> 4) (as an alternative to Virtual XP) does Sandboxie run well on Win
> 7/64?
>
> Answer, comments and questions appreciated.

Virtual XP is IMO a joke...

/Henning

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

"Henning" <computer_hero@coldmail.com> wrote in message

> Virtual XP is IMO a joke...

Why? It's basically just Microsoft Virtual PC, and I've used virtual
machines quite successfully. You don't want to be testing DirectX games in
them, of course, but then that's usually not the focus of VB6 programmers,
now is it?

Henning

"Jeff Johnson" <i.get@enough.spam> skrev i meddelandet
> "Henning" <computer_hero@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Virtual XP is IMO a joke...
>
> Why? It's basically just Microsoft Virtual PC, and I've used virtual
> machines quite successfully. You don't want to be testing DirectX games in
> them, of course, but then that's usually not the focus of VB6 programmers,
> now is it?

I've just tested "our" app that use extensive network traffic, and it jist
didn't cope. Lots of packages lost. :)

>>> Virtual XP is IMO a joke...
>>
>> Why? It's basically just Microsoft Virtual PC, and I've used virtual
>> machines quite successfully. You don't want to be testing DirectX games
>> in them, of course, but then that's usually not the focus of VB6
>> programmers, now is it?
>>
> I've just tested "our" app that use extensive network traffic, and it jist
> didn't cope. Lots of packages lost. :)

I've performed large file transfers under virtuals, and they've worked fine.
Just saying that my experience is different from yours.

Karl E. Peterson

BeeJ brought next idea :
> I have the opportunity to buy a nice laptop running Win 7/64 bit.
> But it has the Home version of Win 7.
> I can get an "upgrade" to Win 7/64 Pro or Ultimate.
>
> Is Pro adequate?
> Are there advantages to Ultimate?
>
> I plan to use this to try out:
> 1) install a virtual XP to try out VB6 Application installs (using Inno
> Setup to create the installer) and VB6 Application execution.
> 2) install the VB6 IDE and do development either on
> a) virtual XP
> b) dual boot to XP
> Since doing development directly on Win 7/64 has a few problems.
> Correct?
> 3) do development directly on Win 7/64.
> 4) (as an alternative to Virtual XP) does Sandboxie run well on Win 7/64?
>
> Answer, comments and questions appreciated.

I mainly work in Win7x64, and test (as needed) in an XP VM. I do have
clean VMs built with VB5 or VB6 installed, so I can do a clean compile
too, should I be wondering about oddities in Win7. But so far, those
really haven't been needed much.

I see no reason to dual boot to XP. Once you start using 7, you get
pretty hooked.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

> "Henning" <computer_hero@coldmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Why? It's basically just Microsoft Virtual PC, and I've used virtual
>>> machines quite successfully. You don't want to be testing DirectX games
>>> in them, of course, but then that's usually not the focus of VB6
>>> programmers, now is it?
>>>
>> I've just tested "our" app that use extensive network traffic, and it
>> jist didn't cope. Lots of packages lost. :)
>
> I've performed large file transfers under virtuals, and they've worked
> fine. Just saying that my experience is different from yours.

So the experience is as usual, works for one but not the other ;)

/Henning

Mike Williams

"Jeff Johnson" <i.get@enough.spam> wrote in message

> "Henning" <computer_hero@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Virtual XP is IMO a joke...
>
> Why? It's basically just Microsoft Virtual PC, and I've used
> virtual machines quite successfully. You don't want to be testing
> DirectX games in them, of course . . .

.. . . or GDI drawing functions, at least not if you are attempting to
discover how they would run on a real XP machine.

Mike

Anton

Mike Williams pretended :
> "BeeJ" <nospam@live.com> wrote in message

>> I have the opportunity to buy a nice laptop running Win 7/64 bit.
>> I plan to use this to try out:
>> 1) install a virtual XP to try out VB6 . . .
>> 2) install the VB6 IDE and do development either on
>> a) virtual XP
>> b) dual boot to XP
>> 3) do development directly on Win 7/64.

> Go for option 3.

> Mike

Pro or Ultimate or no difference?

Am I a masochist?

MikeD

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote in message
> Mike Williams pretended :
>> "BeeJ" <nospam@live.com> wrote in message
>
>>> I have the opportunity to buy a nice laptop running Win 7/64 bit.
>>> I plan to use this to try out:
>>> 1) install a virtual XP to try out VB6 . . .
>>> 2) install the VB6 IDE and do development either on
>>> a) virtual XP
>>> b) dual boot to XP
>>> 3) do development directly on Win 7/64.
>
>> Go for option 3.
>
>> Mike
>
> Pro or Ultimate or no difference?

Go to MS's web site and compare the differences. How is anybody here
supposed to tell you which edition is best for your needs? Besides that,
it's entirely off-topic.