microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

VB6 ActiveX DLL registration

ropo

3/3/2011 11:25:00 AM

We have a product that is partly written in VB6. It is build up of
many dlls that are activeX dlls. I'm trying to reduce our depenance on
registered COM objects since all the components are used inprocess
there is no need for items to be registered and during run-time. Using
reg free com I can deploy everything without registering it.

Problem is I can't find a way to build the VB6 Code without it
automatically registering the activeX dlls during the build. Anyone
know if it is possible to build but not regisiter a VB6 ActiveX dll?
1 Answer

ralph

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 03:24:41 -0800 (PST), ropo
<andrew.ropson@gmail.com> wrote:

>We have a product that is partly written in VB6. It is build up of
>many dlls that are activeX dlls. I'm trying to reduce our depenance on
>registered COM objects since all the components are used inprocess
>there is no need for items to be registered and during run-time. Using
>reg free com I can deploy everything without registering it.
>
>Problem is I can't find a way to build the VB6 Code without it
>automatically registering the activeX dlls during the build. Anyone
>know if it is possible to build but not regisiter a VB6 ActiveX dll?

If I understand your question correctly, then the answer is no.

The VBIDE, in a sense, manages its own "registry" cache and when a
Project is run or when it is built that cache is written out to the
Registry.

BUT I fail to see why this would be a problem. You can still deploy
without registering the components and any registration that would
take place would only effect the Build Box. If you need such
components to be 'unregistered' then you can easily create a script to
do that.

There must be more to this story. <g>

-ralph