avi

1/18/2011 3:33:00 PM

Hello,

I've produced an installation (Wise) exe file for deploying my
software at the client pc.

The software contains dll's compiled from Vb6

In some PC's, when I test the product, I get messages during the
installation that some files are in use and could not been registered.
Pressing the "Ignore" button seems to solve the problem.

To my best knowlege, it has to do with files related to VBruntime (as
oleaut32.dll,...). I can suppress the VBruntime option in the
installing program so that the messages do not appear

My question is if it is OK to do so without fear that in computers
with WinXP or Win7, the files will be lacking

Thanks
Avi

22 Answers

ralph

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:33:22 -0800 (PST), avi <aviben@bezeqint.net.il>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've produced an installation (Wise) exe file for deploying my
>software at the client pc.
>
>The software contains dll's compiled from Vb6
>
>In some PC's, when I test the product, I get messages during the
>installation that some files are in use and could not been registered.
>Pressing the "Ignore" button seems to solve the problem.
>
>To my best knowlege, it has to do with files related to VBruntime (as
>oleaut32.dll,...). I can suppress the VBruntime option in the
>installing program so that the messages do not appear
>
>My question is if it is OK to do so without fear that in computers
>with WinXP or Win7, the files will be lacking

Sure.

In fact you should never include that particular component in an
install in the first place. (Note: It is not part of the VBRuntime.)

Better yet. Do NOT include any vb "Runtime" file with any install
package. In those rare case where you have a client running Windows
2000 or lower platforms - install the "Runtime" separately.

-ralph

H-Man

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:57:27 -0600, ralph wrote:

> In fact you should never include that particular component in an
> install in the first place. (Note: It is not part of the VBRuntime.)

Funny,
http://support.microsoft.com...
says it's included in the runtime install package.

I'm not sure I understand how oleaut32.dll is not a part of the VBRuntime,
and why it should not be included in a runtime distribution.

--
HK

Dee Earley

On 18/01/2011 15:33, avi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've produced an installation (Wise) exe file for deploying my
> software at the client pc.
>
> The software contains dll's compiled from Vb6
>
> In some PC's, when I test the product, I get messages during the
> installation that some files are in use and could not been registered.
> Pressing the "Ignore" button seems to solve the problem.
>
> To my best knowlege, it has to do with files related to VBruntime (as
> oleaut32.dll,...). I can suppress the VBruntime option in the
> installing program so that the messages do not appear
>
> My question is if it is OK to do so without fear that in computers
> with WinXP or Win7, the files will be lacking

You should not try to install the VB runtimes in Windows Vista or above.
Below that, you should do normal version/upgrade checks.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

H-Man

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:36:53 +0000, Dee Earley wrote:

> On 18/01/2011 15:33, avi wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've produced an installation (Wise) exe file for deploying my
>> software at the client pc.
>>
>> The software contains dll's compiled from Vb6
>>
>> In some PC's, when I test the product, I get messages during the
>> installation that some files are in use and could not been registered.
>> Pressing the "Ignore" button seems to solve the problem.
>>
>> To my best knowlege, it has to do with files related to VBruntime (as
>> oleaut32.dll,...). I can suppress the VBruntime option in the
>> installing program so that the messages do not appear
>>
>> My question is if it is OK to do so without fear that in computers
>> with WinXP or Win7, the files will be lacking
>
> You should not try to install the VB runtimes in Windows Vista or above.
> Below that, you should do normal version/upgrade checks.

+1,
They are already installed in Vista, Server 2008 and Windows 7.

--
HK

avi

Thanks so much!

I understand that Vista and W7 do not need the runtime. What fo
Windows XP?

Avi

ralph

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:05:22 -0700, H-Man <Spam@bites.fs> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:57:27 -0600, ralph wrote:
>
>> In fact you should never include that particular component in an
>> install in the first place. (Note: It is not part of the VBRuntime.)
>
>Funny,
>http://support.microsoft.com...
>says it's included in the runtime install package.
>
>I'm not sure I understand how oleaut32.dll is not a part of the VBRuntime,
>and why it should not be included in a runtime distribution.

Well, since this file is a dependancy of the VB Runtime component -
msvbvmxx.dll - then you would be correct. I should not have added that
note. It only serves to add further confusion to what apparently
confuses a lot of developers when creating install packages.

Or put another way, if you consider anything included in MS's VB6
"run-time files" package as "VB Runtimes" then OleAut32.dll, since it
is included in that package, it is a "VB Runtime" component.

However, Funny,
It is also an "ADO Runtime" since it is included in the MDAC packages.
It is also an "Office Runtime" since it is included with those
installs as well. And included in the Visual C++ Runtime package, and
with the "DCOM Runtime", and in various platform service packs, and
Internet Explorer, and ... Gosh! It is part of a lot of "runtimes".

So from a practical standpoint, IMHO, if something is part of so many
packages, so many 'runtimes' - then to consider it part of only one of
them, is to lose sight of the over-all picture. That's why I feel it
is more useful to consider it not part of the "VB Runtime", but rather
as part of the "Windows Runtime" instead. (assuming there is such a
thing. <g>)

Once a developer appreciates that OleAut32 is more accurately termed a
"platform system file" and not tied to any specific application
runtime, it is easier for them to understand they shouldn't be in the
system-update business and therefore NOT including it when creating
install packages for their own applications.

-ralph

H-Man

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:59:17 -0800 (PST), avi wrote:

> Thanks so much!
>
> I understand that Vista and W7 do not need the runtime. What fo
> Windows XP?
>
> Avi

AFAIK, it was part of the default Win2K and XP installs. If it was a full
install or an OEM install then the runtime is in all likelihood present.

--
HK

H-Man

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:59:14 -0600, ralph wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:05:22 -0700, H-Man <Spam@bites.fs> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:57:27 -0600, ralph wrote:
>>
>>> In fact you should never include that particular component in an
>>> install in the first place. (Note: It is not part of the VBRuntime.)
>>
>>Funny,
>>http://support.microsoft.com...
>>says it's included in the runtime install package.
>>
>>I'm not sure I understand how oleaut32.dll is not a part of the VBRuntime,
>>and why it should not be included in a runtime distribution.
>
> Well, since this file is a dependancy of the VB Runtime component -
> msvbvmxx.dll - then you would be correct. I should not have added that
> note. It only serves to add further confusion to what apparently
> confuses a lot of developers when creating install packages.
>
> Or put another way, if you consider anything included in MS's VB6
> "run-time files" package as "VB Runtimes" then OleAut32.dll, since it
> is included in that package, it is a "VB Runtime" component.
>
> However, Funny,
> It is also an "ADO Runtime" since it is included in the MDAC packages.
> It is also an "Office Runtime" since it is included with those
> installs as well. And included in the Visual C++ Runtime package, and
> with the "DCOM Runtime", and in various platform service packs, and
> Internet Explorer, and ... Gosh! It is part of a lot of "runtimes".
>
> So from a practical standpoint, IMHO, if something is part of so many
> packages, so many 'runtimes' - then to consider it part of only one of
> them, is to lose sight of the over-all picture. That's why I feel it
> is more useful to consider it not part of the "VB Runtime", but rather
> as part of the "Windows Runtime" instead. (assuming there is such a
> thing. <g>)
>
> Once a developer appreciates that OleAut32 is more accurately termed a
> "platform system file" and not tied to any specific application
> runtime, it is easier for them to understand they shouldn't be in the
> system-update business and therefore NOT including it when creating
> install packages for their own applications.
>
> -ralph

Thanks Ralph, I was unaware of this. It seemed to me that because the VB6
P&D wizard included it and it was part of the MS VB runtime distribution, I
had always included it as a rule. I appreciate the insight you have offered
here.

--
HK

Tony Toews

<dee.earley@icode.co.uk> wrote:

>You should not try to install the VB runtimes in Windows Vista or above.
>Below that, you should do normal version/upgrade checks.

I'm under the impression that Windows 2000 and XP also included the
VB6 runtime.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...

Dee Earley

On 19/01/2011 00:26, Tony Toews wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:36:53 +0000, Dee Earley
> <dee.earley@icode.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> You should not try to install the VB runtimes in Windows Vista or above.
>> Below that, you should do normal version/upgrade checks.
>
> I'm under the impression that Windows 2000 and XP also included the
> VB6 runtime.

From my experience they may have some of the files, but not all, and
not the most up to date files.
Hence I include all the SP6 runtime files and do the normal version
checks on every machine up to (and including XP)

I have hit bugs in the runtimes that have been fixed in later service
packs which is good enough reason for me, that and the runtimes are a
tiny proportion of the full setup size (especially as we now need .net 2 :).