comp.lang.python

Plotting 3d points

Rasmus Kjeldsen

2/10/2008 10:38:00 AM

Anybody know of a simple way to plot 3d points? Nothing fancy, just points.
I've tried looking into Mayavi, but can't really find out how to get get
3 arrays (x,y,z) into a vtk file. I've also seen mlab mentioned, but how
do I install that, and import it? I can't get the examples i've seen of
mlab to make any sense (the importing the module part, that is!).

Rasmus Kjedlsen
4 Answers

Elby

Matplotlib as some 3D capabilities too. You can have a look at these
examples : http://scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotl...

Grant Edwards

On 2008-02-10, Elby <loic.berthe@free.fr> wrote:

> Matplotlib as some 3D capabilities too. You can have a look at
> these examples : http://scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotl...

I use gnuplot.py for 3D stuff regularly.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Alright,
at you!! Imitate a WOUNDED

Paul McGuire

On Feb 10, 4:37 am, Rasmus Kjeldsen <kjeldsen.ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody know of a simple way to plot 3d points? Nothing fancy, just points.
> I've tried looking into Mayavi, but can't really find out how to get get
> 3 arrays (x,y,z) into a vtk file. I've also seen mlab mentioned, but how
> do I install that, and import it? I can't get the examples i've seen of
> mlab to make any sense (the importing the module part, that is!).
>
> Rasmus Kjedlsen

A while back, I recommended using slut in this post:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2007-August/4....

slut has a pretty hefty footprint, but once you have plotted the
points, you can also interact with the plot using mouse gestures. My
website has a little Wink demo of the interaction with a series of
points plotted on the surface of a sphere, plus a path connecting
them: http://www.geocities.com/ptmcg/python/s...

-- Paul

Rasmus Kjeldsen

Elby skrev:
> Matplotlib as some 3D capabilities too. You can have a look at these
> examples : http://scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotl...

I got the cookbook examples to work, but where do I read more into what
i can do with mplot3d (set type of marker, set size of marker etc.)? A
google search yields nothing useable.

Rasmus Kjeldsen