comp.lang.python

What is wrong with this

nure123

I am new to Python and would be grateful if anyone could tell me what
is wrong with the following statement.

Y=array([1/S, 0*lam])

where
S=[1, 2, 3, 4]
lam=[5, 6, 7, 8]

I am using Numeric not the NumPy and the original module in which this
statement appears is supposed to be working perfectly fine since an
executable based on that module is working fine ( I may be wrong if
the original author derived his executable file from a version of
module other than the one whose code is distributed)

Thanks,

Nure
3 Answers

Steven D'Aprano

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:44:52 -0800, nure123 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Python and would be grateful if anyone could tell me what is
> wrong with the following statement.
>
> Y=array([1/S, 0*lam])
>
> where
> S=[1, 2, 3, 4]
> lam=[5, 6, 7, 8]

Oh, a guessing game! I love guessing games.

Let's see now... did you actually want to do a Fourier transform of some
data?

If not, perhaps you could tell us what you expected to happen, and what
actually happened, so we can stop guessing and actually help.

--
Steven

nure123

On Feb 9, 8:56 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st...@REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:44:52 -0800, nure123 wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I am new to Python and would be grateful if anyone could tell me what is
> > wrong with the following statement.
>
> > Y=array([1/S, 0*lam])
>
> > where
> > S=[1, 2, 3, 4]
> > lam=[5, 6, 7, 8]
>
> Oh, a guessing game! I love guessing games.
>
> Let's see now... did you actually want to do a Fourier transform of some
> data?
>
> If not, perhaps you could tell us what you expected to happen, and what
> actually happened, so we can stop guessing and actually help.
>
> --
> Steven

I get an error like 'inconsistent shape in sequence.' I changed it to
Y=array([1/S, zeros(len(lam))])

it works fine. But I am still interested in knowing why did the
original programmer did not get any error whereas I got an error with
the statement : Y=array([1/S, 0*lam])

Steven D'Aprano

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:40:25 -0800, nure123 wrote:

> But I am still interested in knowing why did the original
> programmer did not get any error whereas I got an error with the
> statement : Y=array([1/S, 0*lam])

*shrug*

How do you know it worked fine for the original programmer? Maybe he
released software with a bug. It happens.

--
Steven