comp.lang.python

wxpython file dialog

Janwillem

2/9/2008 8:43:00 PM

Is there a way to force the wx.FileDialog to show as default the
thumbnails vie in stead of list view?
thanks, janwillem
8 Answers

Guilherme Polo

2008/2/9, Janwillem <jwevdijk@xs4all.nl>:
> Is there a way to force the wx.FileDialog to show as default the
> thumbnails vie in stead of list view?
> thanks, janwillem

You should be using wx.lib.imagebrowser.ImageDialog instead of
wx.FileDialog for that purpose.

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

Janwillem

Guilherme Polo wrote:
> 2008/2/9, Janwillem <jwevdijk@xs4all.nl>:
>> Is there a way to force the wx.FileDialog to show as default the
>> thumbnails vie in stead of list view?
>> thanks, janwillem
>>
>> --
>>

> You should be using wx.lib.imagebrowser.ImageDialog instead of
> wx.FileDialog for that purpose.

Thanks for the hint, very neat widget. However, it seems not to support
multiple selection. My application selects from a series of low light
photographs of the same subject the sharpest one (like BSS on Nikon
Coolpix). So I need multiple selection and thumbnails. It works with
wx.FileDialog style=FD_MULTIPLE but I have to select thumbnail view
every time.
Janwillem

Guilherme Polo

2008/2/10, Janwillem <jwevdijk@xs4all.nl>:
> Guilherme Polo wrote:
> > 2008/2/9, Janwillem <jwevdijk@xs4all.nl>:
>
> >> Is there a way to force the wx.FileDialog to show as default the
> >> thumbnails vie in stead of list view?
> >> thanks, janwillem
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > You should be using wx.lib.imagebrowser.ImageDialog instead of
> > wx.FileDialog for that purpose.
> >

> Thanks for the hint, very neat widget. However, it seems not to support
> multiple selection. My application selects from a series of low light
> photographs of the same subject the sharpest one (like BSS on Nikon
> Coolpix). So I need multiple selection and thumbnails. It works with
> wx.FileDialog style=FD_MULTIPLE but I have to select thumbnail view
> every time.
>
> Janwillem

Unfortunately that is not possible with imagebrowser because it sets
the listbox for single selection in the code. A patch will fix this.
Now continuing on FileDialog.. I don't have the option to change to
thumbnail view here, I guess you are using Windows, so it is not
cross-platform. imagebrowser is cross-platform because it is all done
by wxPython.

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

Janwillem

Guilherme Polo wrote:
> 2008/2/10, Janwillem <jwevdijk@xs4all.nl>:
>> Guilherme Polo wrote:

>>> You should be using wx.lib.imagebrowser.ImageDialog instead of
>> > wx.FileDialog for that purpose.
>> >

>> Thanks for the hint, very neat widget. However, it seems not to support
>> multiple selection. My application selects from a series of low light
>> photographs of the same subject the sharpest one (like BSS on Nikon
>> Coolpix). So I need multiple selection and thumbnails. It works with
>> wx.FileDialog style=FD_MULTIPLE but I have to select thumbnail view
>> every time.
>>
>> Janwillem
>> --
>>

> Unfortunately that is not possible with imagebrowser because it sets
> the listbox for single selection in the code. A patch will fix this.
> Now continuing on FileDialog.. I don't have the option to change to
> thumbnail view here, I guess you are using Windows, so it is not
> cross-platform. imagebrowser is cross-platform because it is all done
> by wxPython.

The application is meant to become x-platform; prefarably linux osX and
win. I use:

dialog=wx.FileDialog(None,'Choose picture file',defDir, style=wx.OPEN | wx.FD_MULTIPLE,wildcard=wcard)

and supposed that the wx dialog would work on linux. I did not yet test
this because the app depends on a lib (dll) which I have not yet made to
work in Linux (it's pascal and freepascal has a problem I have to dive
into).

Mike Driscoll

On Feb 10, 6:41 am, Janwillem <jwevd...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Guilherme Polo wrote:

> >> Thanks for the hint, very neat widget. However, it seems not to support
> >> multiple selection. My application selects from a series of low light
> >> photographs of the same subject the sharpest one (like BSS on Nikon
> >> Coolpix). So I need multiple selection and thumbnails. It works with
> >> wx.FileDialog style=FD_MULTIPLE but I have to select thumbnail view
> >> every time.
>
> >> Janwillem
> >> --
>
> > Unfortunately that is not possible with imagebrowser because it sets
> > the listbox for single selection in the code. A patch will fix this.
> > Now continuing on FileDialog.. I don't have the option to change to
> > thumbnail view here, I guess you are using Windows, so it is not
> > cross-platform. imagebrowser is cross-platform because it is all done
> > by wxPython.
>
> The application is meant to become x-platform; prefarably linux osX and
> win. I use:
>
> dialog=wx.FileDialog(None,'Choose picture file',defDir,> style=wx.OPEN | wx.FD_MULTIPLE,wildcard=wcard)
>
> and supposed that the wx dialog would work on linux. I did not yet test
> this because the app depends on a lib (dll) which I have not yet made to
> work in Linux (it's pascal and freepascal has a problem I have to dive
> into).

What is your application supposed to do? In the meantime, I recommend
looking at this control:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/Thumbnai...

You can probably get what you need from it. I also highly recommend
posting to the wxPython user's group where you'll get more wx-specific
help. See below:

http://wxpython.org/ma...

If you download the venerable wxPython Demo from wxPython.org, you can
check out other related widgets such as wx.ImageBrowser or the
wx.BitmapComboBox.

HTH

Mike

Guilherme Polo

2008/2/11, Mike Driscoll <kyosohma@gmail.com>:
> On Feb 10, 6:41 am, Janwillem <jwevd...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Guilherme Polo wrote:

> > > Unfortunately that is not possible with imagebrowser because it sets
> > > the listbox for single selection in the code. A patch will fix this.
> > > Now continuing on FileDialog.. I don't have the option to change to
> > > thumbnail view here, I guess you are using Windows, so it is not
> > > cross-platform. imagebrowser is cross-platform because it is all done
> > > by wxPython.
> >
> > The application is meant to become x-platform; prefarably linux osX and
> > win. I use:
> >
> > dialog=wx.FileDialog(None,'Choose picture file',defDir,> > style=wx.OPEN | wx.FD_MULTIPLE,wildcard=wcard)
> >
> > and supposed that the wx dialog would work on linux. I did not yet test
> > this because the app depends on a lib (dll) which I have not yet made to
> > work in Linux (it's pascal and freepascal has a problem I have to dive
> > into).
>
> What is your application supposed to do? In the meantime, I recommend
> looking at this control:
>
> http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/Thumbnai...
>
> You can probably get what you need from it. I also highly recommend
> posting to the wxPython user's group where you'll get more wx-specific
> help. See below:
>
> http://wxpython.org/ma...
>
> If you download the venerable wxPython Demo from wxPython.org, you can
> check out other related widgets such as wx.ImageBrowser or the
> wx.BitmapComboBox.

wx.ImageBrowser and wx.BitmapComboBox are non-existent widgets. There
are demos named like that but the actual widgets are
wx.lib.imagebrowser and wx.combo.BitmapComboBox

> HTH
>
> Mike

-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

Mike Driscoll

On Feb 11, 2008 12:14 PM, Guilherme Polo <ggpolo@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/2/11, Mike Driscoll <kyosohma@gmail.com>:

<snip>

> > What is your application supposed to do? In the meantime, I recommend
> > looking at this control:
> >
> > http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/Thumbnai...
> >
> > You can probably get what you need from it. I also highly recommend
> > posting to the wxPython user's group where you'll get more wx-specific
> > help. See below:
> >
> > http://wxpython.org/ma...
> >
> > If you download the venerable wxPython Demo from wxPython.org, you can
> > check out other related widgets such as wx.ImageBrowser or the
> > wx.BitmapComboBox.
>
> wx.ImageBrowser and wx.BitmapComboBox are non-existent widgets. There
> are demos named like that but the actual widgets are
> wx.lib.imagebrowser and wx.combo.BitmapComboBox

Whoops! My bad! Still, I think the OP might find them useful for
creating his own custom image dialog.

Cheers,

Mike

> > HTH
> >
> > Mike
> > --

> -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

Guilherme Polo

2008/2/11, Mike Driscoll <kyosohma@gmail.com>:
> On Feb 11, 2008 12:14 PM, Guilherme Polo <ggpolo@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>

> > > What is your application supposed to do? In the meantime, I recommend
> > > looking at this control:
> > >
> > > http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/Thumbnai...
> > >
> > > You can probably get what you need from it. I also highly recommend
> > > posting to the wxPython user's group where you'll get more wx-specific
> > > help. See below:
> > >
> > > http://wxpython.org/ma...
> > >
> > > If you download the venerable wxPython Demo from wxPython.org, you can
> > > check out other related widgets such as wx.ImageBrowser or the
> > > wx.BitmapComboBox.
> >
> > wx.ImageBrowser and wx.BitmapComboBox are non-existent widgets. There
> > are demos named like that but the actual widgets are
> > wx.lib.imagebrowser and wx.combo.BitmapComboBox
>

> Whoops! My bad! Still, I think the OP might find them useful for
> creating his own custom image dialog.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

It is ok ;) I mentioned imagebrowser on my first email, but he needs
to selection several images at once and imagebrowser lacks this right
now. An easy patch fix this, the widget would take another argument to
specify the style of the listbox it uses and it needs to store all the
selected images using listbox.GetSelections() if the user opts for
multiple selection.
I suggest posting this at wx maillist as feature request so you don't
need to wait for me to submit a patch.

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves