comp.lang.c++

Error compiling with g++ 3.4.4

JR

10/18/2008 7:48:00 PM

The code below compiles and runs perfectly in Windows XP Pro, Using MS
VS 2005.
If I compile with g++ (cygwin) using the following command line:
g++ -pedantic -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy -Wold-style-cast -
Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp

it displays the following errors:
kk.cpp: In function `void Burp(std::ostream&,
std::vector<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> >,
std::allocator<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> > > >&)':
kk.cpp:15: error: expected `;' before "ite"
kk.cpp:15: error: `ite' undeclared (first use this function)
kk.cpp:15: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
for each function it appears in.)

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

CODE:

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
#include <algorithm>
#include <stdexcept>
#include <iterator>

using namespace std;

template <typename T>
void Burp(ostream& os, vector< vector<T> >& vec)
{
os << "Our vector of vectors" << endl;
for(vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = vec.begin(); ite!=
vec.end();ite++)
{
copy((*ite).begin(), (*ite).end(), ostream_iterator<T>(os, " "));
os << endl;
}
os << "/Our vector of vectors" << endl;
}

8 Answers

Erik Wikström

On 2008-10-18 21:48, JR wrote:
> The code below compiles and runs perfectly in Windows XP Pro, Using MS
> VS 2005.
> If I compile with g++ (cygwin) using the following command line:
> g++ -pedantic -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy -Wold-style-cast -
> Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp
>
> it displays the following errors:
> kk.cpp: In function `void Burp(std::ostream&,
> std::vector<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> >,
> std::allocator<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> > > >&)':
> kk.cpp:15: error: expected `;' before "ite"
> kk.cpp:15: error: `ite' undeclared (first use this function)
> kk.cpp:15: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> for each function it appears in.)
>
> Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
>
> CODE:
>
> #include <iostream>
> #include <vector>
> #include <algorithm>
> #include <stdexcept>
> #include <iterator>
>
> using namespace std;
>
> template <typename T>
> void Burp(ostream& os, vector< vector<T> >& vec)
> {
> os << "Our vector of vectors" << endl;
> for(vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = vec.begin(); ite!=

I can't see anything wrong on the 15th line (the above is the 13th) but
try using
for (typename vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = ...

--
Erik Wikström

JR

On Oct 18, 1:05 pm, Erik Wikström <Erik-wikst...@telia.com> wrote:
> On 2008-10-18 21:48, JR wrote:
>

> > The code below compiles and runs perfectly in Windows XP Pro, Using MS
> > VS 2005.
> > If I compile with g++ (cygwin) using the following command line:
> >  g++ -pedantic -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy  -Wold-style-cast -
> > Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp
>
> > it displays the following errors:
> > kk.cpp: In function `void Burp(std::ostream&,
> > std::vector<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> >,
> > std::allocator<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> > > >&)':
> > kk.cpp:15: error: expected `;' before "ite"
> > kk.cpp:15: error: `ite' undeclared (first use this function)
> > kk.cpp:15: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > for each function it appears in.)
>
> > Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
>
> > CODE:
>
> > #include <iostream>
> > #include <vector>
> > #include <algorithm>
> > #include <stdexcept>
> > #include <iterator>
>
> > using namespace std;
>
> > template <typename T>
> > void Burp(ostream& os, vector< vector<T> >& vec)
> > {
> >    os << "Our vector of vectors" << endl;
> >    for(vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = vec.begin(); ite!=
>
> I can't see anything wrong on the 15th line (the above is the 13th) but
> try using
>   for (typename vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = ...
>
> --
> Erik Wikström

Hi Erik, and many thanks for your input.

Two things:

- How did you figure out that by adding "typename" the error would
go?...by the way the error message is not appearing anymore...
-...however, now I am getting the following error (it looks like it
came from a deeper part of the compiling process):
$ g++ -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy -Wold-style-cast -
Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../libcygwin.a(libcmain.o):
(.text+0xab): undefined reference to `_WinMain@16'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Does anybody know if the compiler g++ 3.4.4 is broken?

Thanks again in advance. JR

peter koch

On 18 Okt., 22:51, JR <mr.riv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 1:05 pm, Erik Wikström <Erik-wikst...@telia.com> wrote:
>

> > On 2008-10-18 21:48, JR wrote:
>
> > > The code below compiles and runs perfectly in Windows XP Pro, Using MS
> > > VS 2005.
> > > If I compile with g++ (cygwin) using the following command line:
> > >  g++ -pedantic -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy  -Wold-style-cast -
> > > Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp
>
> > > it displays the following errors:
> > > kk.cpp: In function `void Burp(std::ostream&,
> > > std::vector<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> >,
> > > std::allocator<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> > > >&)':
> > > kk.cpp:15: error: expected `;' before "ite"
> > > kk.cpp:15: error: `ite' undeclared (first use this function)
> > > kk.cpp:15: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > > for each function it appears in.)
>
> > > Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
>
> > > CODE:
>
> > > #include <iostream>
> > > #include <vector>
> > > #include <algorithm>
> > > #include <stdexcept>
> > > #include <iterator>
>
> > > using namespace std;
>
> > > template <typename T>
> > > void Burp(ostream& os, vector< vector<T> >& vec)
> > > {
> > >    os << "Our vector of vectors" << endl;
> > >    for(vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = vec.begin(); ite!=
>
> > I can't see anything wrong on the 15th line (the above is the 13th) but
> > try using
> >   for (typename vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = ...
>
> > --
> > Erik Wikström
>
> Hi Erik, and many thanks for your input.
>
> Two things:
>
> - How did you figure out that by adding "typename" the error would
> go?...by the way the error message is not appearing anymore...

Because it is required by the standard. So it is Microsofts compiler
that is broken in this respect, not gcc.

> -...however, now I am getting the following error (it looks like it
> came from a deeper part of the compiling process):
> $ g++  -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy  -Wold-style-cast -
> Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../libcygwin.a(libcmain.o):
> (.text+0xab): undefined reference to `_WinMain@16'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This is a linker error. You are more likely to get help in a gcc
newsgroup, but most likely you forgot to include a library.

> Does anybody know if the compiler g++ 3.4.4 is broken?

Yes it is - in the strictest sense of the word. But not here.

/Peter

JR

On Oct 18, 1:51 pm, JR <mr.riv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 1:05 pm, Erik Wikström <Erik-wikst...@telia.com> wrote:
>

> > On 2008-10-18 21:48, JR wrote:
>
> > > The code below compiles and runs perfectly in Windows XP Pro, Using MS
> > > VS 2005.
> > > If I compile with g++ (cygwin) using the following command line:
> > >  g++ -pedantic -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy  -Wold-style-cast -
> > > Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp
>
> > > it displays the following errors:
> > > kk.cpp: In function `void Burp(std::ostream&,
> > > std::vector<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> >,
> > > std::allocator<std::vector<T, std::allocator<_CharT> > > >&)':
> > > kk.cpp:15: error: expected `;' before "ite"
> > > kk.cpp:15: error: `ite' undeclared (first use this function)
> > > kk.cpp:15: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > > for each function it appears in.)
>
> > > Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
>
> > > CODE:
>
> > > #include <iostream>
> > > #include <vector>
> > > #include <algorithm>
> > > #include <stdexcept>
> > > #include <iterator>
>
> > > using namespace std;
>
> > > template <typename T>
> > > void Burp(ostream& os, vector< vector<T> >& vec)
> > > {
> > >    os << "Our vector of vectors" << endl;
> > >    for(vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = vec.begin(); ite!=
>
> > I can't see anything wrong on the 15th line (the above is the 13th) but
> > try using
> >   for (typename vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = ...
>
> > --
> > Erik Wikström
>
> Hi Erik, and many thanks for your input.
>
> Two things:
>
> - How did you figure out that by adding "typename" the error would
> go?...by the way the error message is not appearing anymore...
> -...however, now I am getting the following error (it looks like it
> came from a deeper part of the compiling process):
> $ g++  -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy  -Wold-style-cast -
> Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../libcygwin.a(libcmain.o):
> (.text+0xab): undefined reference to `_WinMain@16'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Does anybody know if the compiler g++ 3.4.4 is broken?
>
> Thanks again in advance. JR

Hi,

I resolved this problem by going to the mail archive of the cygwin
mailing list for the Cygwin project, posting:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-03/msg...
Based on the command line for the compiling, I tried the following and
it seemd to have worked:

g++ -mno-cygwin -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy -Wold-style-cast -
Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp

I also utilized Erik W's advice by addding a typename before the
instantiation of the iterator.

Thanks Erik W!

JR

CODE: kk.cpp

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
#include <algorithm>
#include <stdexcept>
#include <iterator>

using namespace std;

template <typename T>
void Burp(ostream& os, vector< vector<T> >& vec)
{
os << "Our vector of vectors" << endl;
for(typename vector< vector<T> >::iterator ite = vec.begin();
ite!= vec.end();ite++)
{
copy((*ite).begin(), (*ite).end(),
ostream_iterator<T>(os, " "));
os << endl;
}
os << "/Our vector of vectors" << endl;
}

int main(int argc, char argv[])
{
return 0;
}

James Kanze

On Oct 18, 11:12 pm, peter koch <peter.koch.lar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 Okt., 22:51, JR <mr.riv...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > - How did you figure out that by adding "typename" the error
> > would go?...by the way the error message is not appearing
> > anymore...

> Because it is required by the standard. So it is Microsofts
> compiler that is broken in this respect, not gcc.

Or it's just supporting pre-standard code. Earlier
implementations of templates didn't require typename here, and
any good compiler will have an option allowing the code to
compile even without it. (To be fair, depending on the internal
structure of the compiler, this can be a very expensive option
to implement.)

> > -...however, now I am getting the following error (it looks like it
> > came from a deeper part of the compiling process):
> > $ g++  -Weffc++ -Wall -Wctor-dtor-privacy  -Wold-style-cast -
> > Woverloaded-virtual -o kk kk.cpp
> > /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../libcygwin.a(libcmain.o):
> > (.text+0xab): undefined reference to `_WinMain@16'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

> This is a linker error. You are more likely to get help in a gcc
> newsgroup, but most likely you forgot to include a library.

With a name like _WinMain, I'd guess that he's trying to compile
Microsoft specific code on a non-Microsoft platform.

Hendrik Schober

James Kanze wrote:
> On Oct 18, 11:12 pm, peter koch <peter.koch.lar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 18 Okt., 22:51, JR <mr.riv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> - How did you figure out that by adding "typename" the error
>>> would go?...by the way the error message is not appearing
>>> anymore...
>
>> Because it is required by the standard. So it is Microsofts
>> compiler that is broken in this respect, not gcc.
>
> Or it's just supporting pre-standard code. Earlier
> implementations of templates didn't require typename here, and
> any good compiler will have an option allowing the code to
> compile even without it. (To be fair, depending on the internal
> structure of the compiler, this can be a very expensive option
> to implement.)

VC, however, simply doesn't have two-phase lookup, so it has to
"guess" if a 'typename' would have been required /after/ the
template is instantiated. (At least that's my theory how it works.)
The lack of two-phase lookup is /really/ annoying and makes VC
almost unsuitable for any more serious work on template-heavy
library code.
(Just as a test, this
template< typename T >
void f() {blarxl}

int main() {
return 0;
}
indeed compiles fine using VC.)

> [...]

Schobi

Moslem cartoon character mohammed was a paedophile 6th century warlord who cooked up a false religio

Moslem cartoon character mohammed was a paedophile 6th century warlord
who cooked up a false religion in order to supplement brutality as a

arah1958@gmail.com
jamiatmp@lantic.co.za
sanha-kzn@sanha.org.za
sanha-gp@sanha.org.za
sanha-cpt@sanha.org.za
helpline@sanha.org.za
islamwayoflife@googlegroups.com
furtivo4000@gmail.com

** Posted from http://www.te... ** moslem cartoon character
mohammad and his bumchum allaah were child molesting goat fuckers and
nikomaks

_
/'_/)
,/_ /
/ /
/'_'/' '/'__'7,
/'/ / / /" /_ ('( ' /' ')
\ /
'\' _.7'
\ (
\
Up your ass mohammad - Elif air ab tizak!!!

info@muslimmatch.com or apache@muslimmatch.com or
politicsIranian@googlegroups.com
jamiat@islamsa.org.za
dsirc@mweb.co.za