comp.lang.python

Windows - remote system window text

roger.dahlstrom

2/4/2008 5:57:00 PM

OK - I know how to get the text/title of the windows on a local system
by using the window handle. What I want to do is to get the text/
title of the windows on a remote system. Enumerating the window
handles will of course not work remotely, I know that. Does anyone
know anything short of a client/server setup that *will* work?

Everything would be Windows 2003 server, and I can assume that I have
administrative rights to all affected machines.

Any ideas?
36 Answers

Martin Skou

Well, i guess you will need a process on each machine you need to
monitor, and then you do have a client server setup.

This can be easily accomplished with fx Pyro (http://
pyro.sourceforge.net/) for communication, and the Win32 Python library
(https://sourceforge.net/project...) for creating a service.

roger.dahlstrom

On Feb 4, 2:17 pm, "m...@infoserv.dk" <m...@infoserv.dk> wrote:
> Well, i guess you will need a process on each machine you need to
> monitor, and then you do have a client server setup.
>
> This can be easily accomplished with fx Pyro (http://
> pyro.sourceforge.net/) for communication, and the Win32 Python library
> (https://sourceforge.net/project...) for creating a service.

Crap, that's what I didn't want to do. I am slowly coming to the
realization that I'm going to have to, but I really didn't want to do
that. That brings up a whole host of other things that I would then
have to do - remote installation, etc. I guess I could do it, but I'd
really rather not.

Martin Skou

I can understand that. But look at the bright side, you don't have to
rely on windows authentication, you just need an open port. Now i
don't know what you are building, but with a client/server setup you
can also get to other data that you might need, like mouse movement to
detect for activity, username, etc.

roger.dahlstrom

On Feb 4, 2:50 pm, "m...@infoserv.dk" <m...@infoserv.dk> wrote:
> I can understand that. But look at the bright side, you don't have to
> rely on windows authentication, you just need an open port. Now i
> don't know what you are building, but with a client/server setup you
> can also get to other data that you might need, like mouse movement to
> detect for activity, username, etc.

That is true, and I could use some of the additional functionality I
guess...

Gabriel Genellina

En Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:25:00 -0200, rdahlstrom <roger.dahlstrom@gmail.com>
escribió:
> On Feb 4, 2:17 pm, "m...@infoserv.dk" <m...@infoserv.dk> wrote:

>> Well, i guess you will need a process on each machine you need to
>> monitor, and then you do have a client server setup.
>
> Crap, that's what I didn't want to do. I am slowly coming to the
> realization that I'm going to have to, but I really didn't want to do
> that.

Try WMI. I don't know for sure if you can enumerate windows, maybe yes. At
least you can enumerate remote processes.

--
Gabriel Genellina

Tim Golden

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> En Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:25:00 -0200, rdahlstrom <roger.dahlstrom@gmail.com>
> escribió:
>> On Feb 4, 2:17 pm, "m...@infoserv.dk" <m...@infoserv.dk> wrote:
>
>>> Well, i guess you will need a process on each machine you need to
>>> monitor, and then you do have a client server setup.
>> Crap, that's what I didn't want to do. I am slowly coming to the
>> realization that I'm going to have to, but I really didn't want to do
>> that.
>
> Try WMI. I don't know for sure if you can enumerate windows, maybe yes. At
> least you can enumerate remote processes.

Pretty sure not. You can just about get hold of a logon session
on the other machine and I did poke about through some of the
Lsa... and other stuff to see whether that was enough to give
you a remote workstation / windows list. But it doesn't seem
likely. (Happy to be proved wrong :)

TJG

roger.dahlstrom

On Feb 5, 3:54 am, Tim Golden <m...@timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> > En Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:25:00 -0200, rdahlstrom <roger.dahlst...@gmail.com>
> > escribió:

> >> Crap, that's what I didn't want to do. I am slowly coming to the
> >> realization that I'm going to have to, but I really didn't want to do
> >> that.
>
> > Try WMI. I don't know for sure if you can enumerate windows, maybe yes. At
> > least you can enumerate remote processes.
>
> Pretty sure not. You can just about get hold of a logon session
> on the other machine and I did poke about through some of the
> Lsa... and other stuff to see whether that was enough to give
> you a remote workstation / windows list. But it doesn't seem
> likely. (Happy to be proved wrong :)
>
> TJG

You don't know how happy to be proved wrong I would be... but I don't
think WMI will do what I want. I can get almost everything - command
line parameters, process ID, kill, restart, etc., but not the window
name, which I need.

Free Lunch

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:35:37 -0800, Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
alt.atheism:

>In article <2nqif8d82dl8fn4r5216h58eloa1g52cgm@4ax.com>, Alan Ferris
><hairy.ferrit@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 16:15:53 -0800, Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:
>> >Did you read Exodus 17: 8-16?
>> >
>> >The slaughtered children that had not yet reached the age of accountabilty
>> >were good and therefore went to heaven when they were killed.
>> >
>> Make your mind up, you are now claiming children old enough to eat
>biscuits are
>> sinners.
>>
>> This is the problem with lies, you run into your own lies.
>> --
>> Ferrit
>>
>> ()'.'.'()
>> ( (T) )
>> ( ) . ( )
>> (")_(")
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W...
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D...
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6...
>>

>I stand by my above statement. Babies and small children will go to heaven
>if they die.

Have you found the scriptural support for this doctrine yet?

Alan Ferris

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:32:47 -0800, Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

>> > My point was that the small children and babies went to heaven.
>>

>> There is no Bible passage showing "babies
>> going to heaven" just because they were killed
>> by god. In fact are not all babies evil and
>> full of sin?
>>

>> "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from
>> the time my mother conceived me."
>> Psalm 51
>
>I have stated many times that babies and children that have NOT yet
>reached the age of accountability that die--will go to heaven.

So? You could say the world is flat but it will be just as accurate.
--
Ferrit

()'.'.'()
( (T) )
( ) . ( )
(")_(")
Atheist #1211
EAC(UK)#252 Ironic Torture Div.

SERV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6...

Devils Advocaat

On 18 Jan, 21:55, Ja...@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:
> [...]
> > Jason)

> > > <c2obf8lrou23l2082ljdmtjp7c4tp6b...@4ax.com>, Alan

> >  what
> > > there and
> > his

> > ned.

> > ldren

> > ad 1
> > e days.
> > > those days.
> > That
> > Samuel)
> > the
> > se they
> >  states

> > > will go
> > u have

> > uel
> > l.

> > > But lets

> > =A0Then god

> > he time.
> > t.

> > mory

> > thing does

> > babies

> > ore evil
> >  there.

> > > God sold

> > > to <the
> > > children

> > ren of

> > was
> >  gods.

> >  9=C2=A0Moses
> >  of
> > oses,
> >  held up
> > grew tired,
> > Hur
> > =B9so that his hands
> > te army
> > s something to
> > 6=C2=A0He said,
> > d,[b] the

> > st
> >  at
> >  the

> > n.
>
> > > Yesterday, we were discussing this scripture:
>
> > > l Samuel Chapter 15 entire chapter
>
> > > One the verses states: Now go and smite Amalek...and kill every man, woma=
> > > and child and even the animals.
>
> > > That is what we were referring to.
>
> > > My point was that the small children and babies went to heaven. The
> > > children that were above the age of accoutability (about age 11 to 13
> > > depending on maturity level) went to hell if they were evil.
>
> > And you still haven't shown your claim about children going to heaven
> > and growing to adulthood there is anything more than another of you
> > cock-eyed guesses.
>
> > And you still haven't shown your claim about the age of accountability
> > is thirteen and that age is agreed on by Jews and Christians alike,
>
> > So far that is also one of your cock-eyed guesses as well.
>
> We have discussed the issue several times. The age is usually 13. However,
> I admitted that it can happen at an earlier age for certain children. I
> mentioned that I would have no problem if a pastor baptized a 11 year old
> child as long the pastor made sure that 11 year old knew the difference

We haven't discussed it several times.

You keep claiming that Jews and Christians agree that the age of
accountability is thirteen.

Yet you fail to support your claim.

That's not the nature of discussion.

The Catholic Canon Law shows you to be wrong in your claim.

And I'm sure that any Jewish individual on here will present evidence
that from their point of view you are wrong as well.

Why in the name of little green apples do you keep posting your
guesses as facts?