comp.lang.c++

Which IDE?

doublemaster007@gmail.com

10/16/2008 8:41:00 AM

Hi..

I am developing commandline tools for LInux.Currently i am using
source insight IDE in Windows for development. Later i FTP the source
to LINUX and build by make file.

Can any one suggeest me the IDE which should get the code from VSS and
transer it to LINUX (should have a menu or plugin for this) and build
there

14 Answers

Ian Collins

doublemaster007@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I am developing commandline tools for LInux.Currently i am using
> source insight IDE in Windows for development. Later i FTP the source
> to LINUX and build by make file.
>
> Can any one suggeest me the IDE which should get the code from VSS and
> transer it to LINUX (should have a menu or plugin for this) and build
> there

Change to a decent source control tool and you won't need one.

--
Ian Collins

doublemaster007@gmail.com

On Oct 16, 1:56 pm, Ian Collins <ian-n...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> doublemaster...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi..
>
> > I am developing commandline tools for LInux.Currently i am using
> > source insight IDE in Windows for development. Later i FTP the source
> > to LINUX and build by make file.
>
> > Can any one suggeest me the IDE which should get the code from VSS and
> > transer it to LINUX (should have a menu or plugin for this) and build
> > there
>
> Change to a decent source control tool and you won't need one.
>
> --
> Ian Collins

what is the problem with that?
I need an IDE which can atlist ftp the files and get code from VSS

Road.Tang

On Oct 16, 4:41 pm, "doublemaster...@gmail.com"
<doublemaster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I am developing commandline tools for LInux.Currently i am using
> source insight IDE in Windows for development. Later i FTP the source
> to LINUX and build by make file.
>
> Can any one suggeest me the IDE which should get the code from VSS and
> transer it to LINUX (should have a menu or plugin for this) and build
> there

I'm not familiar with VSS.
but using it as source control for project that work on both windows
and linux is not good idea.

VSS is some kind of proprietary tool bounded to VisualStudio
envirnonment,
it's not designed to share and collaboration with other platform & IDE
or tools.

use cvs, or svn for your source control. they worths it.

if you really hate anything except VSS, i googled some.
some guy try to use wine to run vss client..
http://www.kegel.com/linux/vss-...

and another is a vss tool for unix..
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Version-Control/SourceSafe-for-Unix-...

but i didn't use both of them..

good luck.
-roadt

Maxim Yegorushkin

On Oct 16, 9:41 am, "doublemaster...@gmail.com"
<doublemaster...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am developing commandline tools for LInux.Currently i am using
> source insight IDE in Windows for development. Later i FTP the source
> to LINUX and build by make file.
>
> Can any one suggeest me the IDE which should get the code from VSS and
> transer it to LINUX (should have a menu or plugin for this) and build
> there

There may be no IDE for Linux which would support VSS out of the box.

You could probably access VSS from Linux using command line:
http://www.kegel.com/linux/vss-... . And you could probably
customise your Linux IDE to use your scripts for accessing a version
control system.

Or, better, change to a decent version control system, like
Subversion.

--
Max

doublemaster007@gmail.com

On Oct 16, 3:42 pm, Maxim Yegorushkin <maxim.yegorush...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Oct 16, 9:41 am, "doublemaster...@gmail.com"
>
> <doublemaster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am developing commandline tools for LInux.Currently i am using
> > source insight IDE in Windows for development. Later i FTP the source
> > to LINUX and build by make file.
>
> > Can any one suggeest me the IDE which should get the code from VSS and
> > transer it to LINUX (should have a menu or plugin for this) and build
> > there
>
> There may be no IDE for Linux which would support VSS out of the box.
>
> You could probably access VSS from Linux using command line:http://www.kegel.com/linux/vss-.... And you could probably
> customise your Linux IDE to use your scripts for accessing a version
> control system.
>
> Or, better, change to a decent version control system, like
> Subversion.
>
> --
> Max

Actually i am working for some compny and i cant decide to change the
VSS.

But i did not give you enough information i guess.

1) I am connecting to Linux servers only on putty or some other
terminal. It has no GUI. only command line.

I have a windows system, i use source insight to view and edit the
code [ i cant compile in windows, tool is for Linux servers]. and
tranfer the code to Linux. then build there.

[i donot have any idea why we have not been given linux system!]

steephen

On Oct 16, 4:22 pm, "doublemaster...@gmail.com"
<doublemaster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 3:42 pm, Maxim Yegorushkin <maxim.yegorush...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 16, 9:41 am, "doublemaster...@gmail.com"
>
> > <doublemaster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am developing commandline tools for LInux.Currently i am using
> > > source insight IDE in Windows for development. Later i FTP the source
> > > to LINUX and build by make file.
>
> > > Can any one suggeest me the IDE which should get the code from VSS and
> > > transer it to LINUX (should have a menu or plugin for this) and build
> > > there
>
> > There may be no IDE for Linux which would support VSS out of the box.
>
> > You could probably access VSS from Linux using command line:http://www.kegel.com/linux/vss-.... And you could probably
> > customise your Linux IDE to use your scripts for accessing a version
> > control system.
>
> > Or, better, change to a decent version control system, like
> > Subversion.
>
> > --
> > Max
>
> Actually i am working for some compny and i cant decide to change the
> VSS.
>
> But i did not give you enough information i guess.
>
> 1) I am connecting to Linux servers only on putty or some other
> terminal. It has no GUI. only command line.
>
> I have a windows system, i use source insight to view and edit the
> code [ i cant compile in windows, tool is for Linux servers]. and
> tranfer the code to Linux. then build there.
>
> [i donot have any idea why we have not been given linux system!]- Hide quoted text -

Are you really looking for IDE or some tool to transfer files from
your windows machine to Linux server.
You can try with Filezilla!!!

Since Linux is a multiuser system it may not require to give linux
system on your desk.. you can access the Linux system by using some
remote protocol such as telnet or ssh( That is what putty is doing).

Marcel Müller

doublemaster007@gmail.com schrieb:
> Actually i am working for some compny and i cant decide to change the
> VSS.

Poor man. - VSS is the worst version control tool that I know. So it is
a somewhat unlikely that some Linux developer wants to use it, since CVS
and SVN are far superior.

Fortunately I had the choice and decided to drop VSS in our company in
favor of CVS several years ago.

Unfortunately I can't help you other than to recommend to write your own
integration tools or scripts.

> 1) I am connecting to Linux servers only on putty or some other
> terminal. It has no GUI. only command line.

This may not be a that hard restriction since X applications may run on
the server while the GUI (the X-Server) runs on your local machine. All
you have to do is to setup the DISPLAY environment correctly. Of course,
the desired applications have to be installed on the server.

Marcel

Road.Tang

On Oct 16, 7:22 pm, "doublemaster...@gmail.com"
<doublemaster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 3:42 pm, Maxim Yegorushkin <maxim.yegorush...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 16, 9:41 am, "doublemaster...@gmail.com"
>
> > <doublemaster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am developing commandline tools for LInux.Currently i am using
> > > source insight IDE in Windows for development. Later i FTP the source
> > > to LINUX and build by make file.
>
> > > Can any one suggeest me the IDE which should get the code from VSS and
> > > transer it to LINUX (should have a menu or plugin for this) and build
> > > there
>
> > There may be no IDE for Linux which would support VSS out of the box.
>
> > You could probably access VSS from Linux using command line:http://www.kegel.com/linux/vss-.... And you could probably
> > customise your Linux IDE to use your scripts for accessing a version
> > control system.
>
> > Or, better, change to a decent version control system, like
> > Subversion.
>
> > --
> > Max
>
> Actually i am working for some compny and i cant decide to change the
> VSS.
>
> But i did not give you enough information i guess.
>
> 1) I am connecting to Linux servers only on putty or some other
> terminal. It has no GUI. only command line.

So you have a telnet or ssh access to linux server terminal.
no GUI is not a problem, since your tool is command line executable.

> I have a windows system, i use source insight to view and edit the
> code [ i cant compile in windows, tool is for Linux servers]. and
> tranfer the code to Linux. then build there.

Under window, you should be able to "check out" source from VSS
repository easily,
since VisualSourceSafe client is part of VisualStudio Environment.
On the contrary, there are few tool to acess VSS repository directly
under linux.

To Get source under windows, and transfer to the linux, that works.
but for the transfer source, you need a FTP/SFTP client, and the
account of linux server FTP/SSH service.

FileZilla is fine FTP/SFTP GUI client,
and putty also have a command line sftp client, "psftp",
another favor is SecureFX,

try one for client, and also you can contact the linux server
administrator for the account issue.

> [i donot have any idea why we have not been given linux system!]

If you mean the VSS client for sourcesafe repository .

that's not hard to understand.

1. SourceSafe is private & proprietary solution owned by Microsoft.
and its protocol is not open ,
write such a client is a little hard. and also take the risk of legal
problem..
Except the MS kindly want to port somewhat to linux platform. but i
can't look forward to it.

2. Linux already have the good solution for version control, and
source version control.
from RCS , CVS to SVN, it's open idea, and open source. and well
integratted with each other.
also have various frontend. So, Open source VSS client can't be the
high privilege project in the open-source community.

-Road

doublemaster007@gmail.com

On Oct 17, 6:51 am, "Road.Tang" <roadt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 7:22 pm, "doublemaster...@gmail.com"
>

> <doublemaster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Oct 16, 3:42 pm, Maxim Yegorushkin <maxim.yegorush...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > There may be no IDE for Linux which would support VSS out of the box.
>
> > > You could probably access VSS from Linux using command line:http://www.kegel.com/linux/vss-.... And you could probably
> > > customise your Linux IDE to use your scripts for accessing a version
> > > control system.
>
> > > Or, better, change to a decent version control system, like
> > > Subversion.
>
> > > --
> > > Max
>
> > Actually i am working for some compny and i cant decide to change the
> > VSS.
>
> > But i did not give you enough information i guess.
>
> > 1) I am connecting to Linux servers only on putty or some other
> > terminal. It has no GUI. only command line.
>
> So you have  a telnet or ssh  access to linux server terminal.
> no GUI is not a problem, since your tool is  command line executable.
>

> > I have a windows system, i use source insight to view and edit the
> > code [ i cant compile in windows, tool is for Linux servers]. and
> > tranfer the code to Linux. then build there.
>
> Under window,  you should be able to  "check out" source from VSS
> repository easily,
> since VisualSourceSafe client is part of VisualStudio Environment.
> On the contrary,  there are few tool to acess VSS repository directly
> under linux.
>
> To Get source under windows, and transfer to the linux, that works.
> but for the transfer source, you need a  FTP/SFTP client,  and the
> account of  linux server FTP/SSH service.
>
> FileZilla is fine FTP/SFTP GUI client,
> and putty also have a command line sftp client, "psftp",
> another favor is SecureFX,
>
> try one for client, and also you can contact the linux server
> administrator for the account issue.
>

> > [i donot have any idea why we have not been given linux system!]
>
> If you mean the VSS client  for sourcesafe repository .
>
> that's not hard to understand.
>
> 1. SourceSafe is private & proprietary solution owned by Microsoft.
> and its protocol is not open ,
> write such a client is a little hard. and also take the risk of legal
> problem..
> Except the MS kindly want to port somewhat  to linux platform.  but i
> can't look forward to it.
>
> 2. Linux already have the good solution for version control, and
> source version control.
> from RCS ,  CVS to SVN,   it's open idea, and open source. and well
> integratted with each other.
> also have various frontend.   So,  Open source VSS client can't be the
> high privilege project in the open-source community.
>
> -Road- Hide quoted text -

:) This is what i am doinf now!
source insight to edit, read code
file zilla to transer code
putty to connect remote server and compile..
Vss to check out!

What i am asking is for an IDE which can remotly build my source
[assume that i have the latest source code in windows checked out from
VSS) or IDE which transfers my code to linux and make there

Ian Collins

doublemaster007@gmail.com wrote:

[please trim!]

> :) This is what i am doinf now!
> source insight to edit, read code
> file zilla to transer code
> putty to connect remote server and compile..
> Vss to check out!
>
> What i am asking is for an IDE which can remotly build my source
> [assume that i have the latest source code in windows checked out from
> VSS) or IDE which transfers my code to linux and make there

What do you hope to gain from an IDE?

--
Ian Collins