comp.lang.python

Re: Project naming suggestions?

Thomas Dybdahl Ahle

2/3/2008 7:38:00 PM

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 10:17 -0800, miller.paul.w@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm considering writing a little interpreter for a python-like
> language and I'm looking for name suggestions. :-)
>
> Basically, I don't want to change a whole lot about Python. In fact,
> I see myself starting with the compiler module from Python 2.5 and
> building from there.
>
> This language would be more or less "Python modulo a few
> (incompatible) changes, but it'd be recognizable by Python
> programmers. I'm talking about stuff like "allowing the character '?'
> in identifier names," and "a better way to express 'for dummy in
> xrange (n):' when the index isn't needed." I'd also like to
> implement most of the planned Python 3000 changes.

Are you really thinking about creating an entire language, simply
because you don't like 'for dummy in xrange (n):'?

I hope you know what an extreamly large work that is, and how little we
need more languages in this category.

> Any suggestions? I'm thinking "Ophidian," for the snake connection,
> or, possibly, "Circus," from "Monty Python's Flying Circus."
>
> Thanks :-)

2 Answers

miller.paul.w

On Feb 3, 2:37 pm, Thomas Dybdahl Ahle <tho...@ahle.dk> wrote:

> Are you really thinking about creating an entire language, simply
> because you don't like 'for dummy in xrange (n):'?

No. I now wish I had posted this before that. :-)

Basically, I want to tweak a programming language and a compiler.
Python is the language I know best, and it just so happens to have a
compiler written in Python (the compiler module). It'd be a toy for
me to play with -- nothing more.

Robert Kern

miller.paul.w@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2:37 pm, Thomas Dybdahl Ahle <tho...@ahle.dk> wrote:
>
>> Are you really thinking about creating an entire language, simply
>> because you don't like 'for dummy in xrange (n):'?
>
> No. I now wish I had posted this before that. :-)
>
> Basically, I want to tweak a programming language and a compiler.
> Python is the language I know best, and it just so happens to have a
> compiler written in Python (the compiler module). It'd be a toy for
> me to play with -- nothing more.

You may want to look at EasyExtend as a way to tinker with the language.

http://www.fiber-space.de/EasyExtend/d...

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."