comp.lang.python

python for a matlab user

David Wang

2/2/2008 4:46:00 PM

hello python users,

i use matlab in my daily research and some shell scripting as well
(primarily for data analysis). i wonder how easy or difficult for a
matlab user to pick up python? i also know Fortran but haven't used it
for years.

thanks for your comments,
d.

3 Answers

Ken Dere

David Wang wrote:

> hello python users,
>
> i use matlab in my daily research and some shell scripting as well
> (primarily for data analysis). i wonder how easy or difficult for a
> matlab user to pick up python? i also know Fortran but haven't used it
> for years.
>
> thanks for your comments,
> d.

I used IDL for data analysis and recently switched almost entirely to
python. However, it did not happen overnight but I would not say it was
difficult. Actually enjoyed it.

Ken D.

Jaap Spies

David Wang wrote:
> hello python users,
>
> i use matlab in my daily research and some shell scripting as well
> (primarily for data analysis). i wonder how easy or difficult for a
> matlab user to pick up python? i also know Fortran but haven't used it
> for years.
>
> thanks for your comments,
> d.

Try Sage! Sage has it all! Sage is written (mainly) in Python.
Sage/Python is fun, easy to learn!

See: http://www.sag...

Jaap

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

Hi David,

-On [20080202 17:51], David Wang (climater@gmail.com) wrote:
>i use matlab in my daily research and some shell scripting as well
>(primarily for data analysis). i wonder how easy or difficult for a
>matlab user to pick up python? i also know Fortran but haven't used it
>for years.

Having recently done a bunch of Fortran to Matlab and Fortran to Python
conversions I hope I am able to pinpoint some things:

- Python has no built-in IDE of the magnitude of Matlab
- using the command line interpreter you can easily run pieces of code and
check the details on the various variables and such you declared, so
they're reasonably similar in this aspect
- structuring of the code is pretty much similar as well, the only thing you
need to look at is the way the declaration part of loops are written
- Python is indentation-sensitive, whereas Matlab isn't
- Python starts indexing at 0, not 1 like Matlab does

ã?¤ã?§ã?«ã?¼ã?³ ã?©ã?¦ã??ã?­ã??ã?¯ ã?´ã?¡ã?³ ã??ã?« ã?¦ã?§ã?«ã?´ã?§ã?³
http://www.in-n... | http://www.ra...
We have met the enemy and they are ours...