comp.lang.python

Re: Will Python on day replace MATLAB?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Stef Mientki

2/1/2008 12:50:00 PM

Blubaugh, David A. wrote:
> To All,
>

> I have been evaluating the python environment ever more closer. I
> believe I can interface python with a development environment known as
> the ImpulseC environment. The ImpulseC environment develops C to VHDL
> for FPGA development. I would especially love to interface Python
> with ImpulseC and the graphing capabilities of GNU Plot and SciPy in
> order to recreate a VHDL development environment that will be just as
> capable as a $50,000 dollar Matlab to VHDL toolbox. This is also a part
> of my Masters thesis. Is anyone willing to help in this endeavor?????

For all common math things SciPy can replace MatLab,
with the main advantage that every library is open,
so you're always be able to trace weird results (which was my great
frustation with MatLab).

If Scipy WILL replace MatLab is more a question of marketing than of
quality.
At the moment you see that MatLab and LabView both have interfaces for
each other,
so probably they have some kind of joint venture, and than the question
changes to
"Will Python one day replace MatLab + LabView" ;-)

Instead of GNU-plot, I would also look at MatPlot, which is almoast an
exact copy of the plot libs in MatLab.
Even better is to switch to Chaco right away.

good luck with your thesis,
Stef

btw, forgot to tell that I'm too working on a replacement for MatLab +
LabView, see
http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_animations_screen...

4 Answers

Jaap Spies

Stef Mientki wrote:
> Blubaugh, David A. wrote:
>> To All,
>>

>> I have been evaluating the python environment ever more closer. I
>> believe I can interface python with a development environment known as
>> the ImpulseC environment. The ImpulseC environment develops C to VHDL
>> for FPGA development. I would especially love to interface Python
>> with ImpulseC and the graphing capabilities of GNU Plot and SciPy in
>> order to recreate a VHDL development environment that will be just as
>> capable as a $50,000 dollar Matlab to VHDL toolbox. This is also a part
>> of my Masters thesis. Is anyone willing to help in this endeavor?????
>>
> For all common math things SciPy can replace MatLab,
> with the main advantage that every library is open,
> so you're always be able to trace weird results (which was my great
> frustation with MatLab).
>
> If Scipy WILL replace MatLab is more a question of marketing than of
> quality.

Have a look at Sage: http://www.sag...

Jaap

Pete Forman

Jaap Spies <j.spies@hccnet.nl> writes:

> Have a look at Sage: http://www.sag...

Of relevance to SciPy is the following

http://wiki.sagemath...

--
Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco -./\.- by myself and does not represent

Steve Holden

Pete Forman wrote:
> Jaap Spies <j.spies@hccnet.nl> writes:
>
> > Have a look at Sage: http://www.sag...
>
> Of relevance to SciPy is the following
>
> http://wiki.sagemath...
>
> | The Sage_ and Scipy_ teams and `Enthought Inc.`_ are pleased to
> | announce the first collaborative meeting for Sage/Scipy joint
> | development, to be held from February 29 until March 4, 2008 at the
> | Enthought headquarters in Austin, Texas.
> |
> | The purpose of this meeting is to gather developers for these
> | projects in a friendly atmosphere for a few days of technical talks
> | and active development work. It should be clear to those
> | interested in attending that this is *not* an academic conference,
> | but instead an opportunity for the two teams to find common points
> | for collaboration, joint work, better integration between the
> | projects and future directions. The focus of the workshop will be
> | to actually *implement* such ideas, not just to plan for them.

Sorry, those question marks are hurting my eyeballs.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC http://www.hold...

Patriot Games

On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:52:25 -0700, "CHICANERY" <Blowjobs@home.net>
wrote:
>"Patriot Games" <Patriot@America.Com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:24:47 -0400, "Harry Dope"
>> <Pres.McCain08@earthlink.com> wrote:
>>> Time for the orca to resign. He is too old.
>> And now he's a vegetable.
>That damned whale Babs Bush?

Whale? Nope...

http://wzus.ask.com/r?t=a&d=us&s=a&c=p&ti=1&ai=30751&l=dis&o=ushpd&sv=0a300517&ip=4120402c&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pbs.org%2Fnewshour%2Fimages%2Felection98%2F...

Try again....

Its not our fault this is too hard for you...