[ANN] http://rubypan.org/

Aaron Patterson

4/16/2009 12:58:00 AM

http://ru... version 1.0.0 has been released!

* <http://ru...>

RubyPAN dot org is like CPAN dot org but for Ruby Gems. The source for
rubypan.org is located here:

http://github.com/tenderlove/rubypan/t...

To report a bug, fork my repository, write a test for the bug, then fix
the bug and send me a pull request. You should especially work on
sending me a new logo.

### CHANGES

* 1.0.0 2009-04-15

* Birthday

### CURRENT BUGS

* Hopefully move rubypan.org to search.rubygems.org
* Also, it needs a new logo

* <http://ru...>

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovem...

15 Answers

Roger Pack

> * <http://ru...
>
> RubyPAN dot org is like CPAN dot org but for Ruby Gems. The source for
> rubypan.org is located here:

perhaps you can explain to use what CPAN is/does and its usefulness?
-=r

Eric Hodel

On Apr 15, 2009, at 21:50, Roger Pack wrote:
>> * <http://ru...
>>
>> RubyPAN dot org is like CPAN dot org but for Ruby Gems. The source
>> for
>> rubypan.org is located here:
>
> perhaps you can explain to use what CPAN is/does and its usefulness?

http://www.google.com/sea... isn't enough?

Hartog C. de Mik

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 03:01:59PM +0900, Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2009, at 21:50, Roger Pack wrote:
>>> * <http://ru...
>>>
>>> RubyPAN dot org is like CPAN dot org but for Ruby Gems. The source
>>> for
>>> rubypan.org is located here:
>>
>> perhaps you can explain to use what CPAN is/does and its usefulness?
>
> http://www.google.com/sea... isn't enough?

Looks nice enough, but I think your missing a whole lot of features
CPAN has (that makes it CPAN / Useful) and rubypan doesn't
have. Backlog of releases, source viewing, links to other tools (like;
distribution rating, bugtracking, etc) are just a few of them.

Are you planning on adding features like this? Or are you limiting
rubypan to just searching?

Rubyforge does seem to have these kinds of things albeit in a
different (perhaps less intuitive) interface then CPAN.

Hartog C. de Mik
{ Simplic.IT }
--
Keep it simple, ...

Matt Harrison

Aaron Patterson wrote:
> http://ru... version 1.0.0 has been released!
>
> * <http://ru...>
>
> RubyPAN dot org is like CPAN dot org but for Ruby Gems. The source for
> rubypan.org is located here:

Surely it should be CRAN or something? (Centralised Ruby Archive
Network), otherwise you've got Ruby Perl Archive Network :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist pointing that out, great job though I've always
thought we needed something like CPAN and was surprised it was never
done before.

~Matt

Ryan Davis

On Apr 16, 2009, at 01:49 , Matt Harrison wrote:

> Surely it should be CRAN or something? (Centralised Ruby Archive
> Network), otherwise you've got Ruby Perl Archive Network :P
>
> Sorry, I couldn't resist pointing that out, great job though I've
> always thought we needed something like CPAN and was surprised it
> was never done before.

he's missing MOST of the letters... since he's not archiving anything
or distributing it across a network... didn't really deter him no
matter how much we pointed it out. :P

James Gray

On Apr 16, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Hartog C. de Mik wrote:

>>> perhaps you can explain to use what CPAN is/does and its usefulness?
>>
>> http://www.google.com/sea... isn't enough?
>
> Looks nice enough, but I think your missing a whole lot of features
> CPAN has (that makes it CPAN / Useful) and rubypan doesn't
> have. Backlog of releases, source viewing, links to other tools (like;
> distribution rating, bugtracking, etc) are just a few of them.
>
> Are you planning on adding features like this?

I'm pretty sure the release method said he takes patches. Add away.

James Edward Gray II

Daniel Berger

Hartog C. de Mik wrote:

>>> perhaps you can explain to use what CPAN is/does and its usefulness?
>> http://www.google.com/sea... isn't enough?
>
> Looks nice enough, but I think your missing a whole lot of features
> CPAN has (that makes it CPAN / Useful) and rubypan doesn't
> have. Backlog of releases, source viewing, links to other tools (like;
> distribution rating, bugtracking, etc) are just a few of them.

Nice job on rubypan.

I don't think bug tracking would be worthwhile since many people are
already using RF's tracker or Trac or whatnot.

Distribution rating wouldn't be bad, but it seems gemtacular.com went
defunct. Maybe it could be integrated directly.

Regards,

Dan

Phlip

James Gray wrote:

>> Are you planning on adding features like this?
>
> I'm pretty sure the release method said he takes patches. Add away.

How to seamlessly integrate - such as at the password level - with our existing
systems that overlap CPAN? How to make sure whenever we update GitHub or
RubyForge or RAA or Lighthouse or http://agilewebdevelopment.c... , we
don't need to then manually duplicate our effort at this rubypan?

Aaron Patterson

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 04:16:31PM +0900, Hartog C. de Mik wrote:

> >> perhaps you can explain to use what CPAN is/does and its usefulness?
> >
> > http://www.google.com/sea... isn't enough?
>
> Looks nice enough, but I think your missing a whole lot of features
> CPAN has (that makes it CPAN / Useful) and rubypan doesn't
> have. Backlog of releases, source viewing, links to other tools (like;
> distribution rating, bugtracking, etc) are just a few of them.

The database contains information about all releases, it just isn't
displayed.

I think source viewing would be best accomplished via the respective
gem's code repository. Once we have the SCM info in the gemspec I will link
to it.

I will not tackle a bug tracking feature as that doesn't make sense.
Everyone uses their own bugtracker, Rubyforge, Lighthouse, Trac, etc.
If the gemspec pointed at the canonical bug tracker, I would link to it.

I might add ratings.

> Are you planning on adding features like this? Or are you limiting
> rubypan to just searching?

Right now, just search. But if you would like more features, the
repository is here:

http://github.com/tenderlove/rubypan/t...

It is a very simple rails app, and the README should get you up and
running. Please submit patches.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovem...

Aaron Patterson

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 06:35:11PM +0900, Ryan Davis wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2009, at 01:49 , Matt Harrison wrote:
>
>> Surely it should be CRAN or something? (Centralised Ruby Archive
>> Network), otherwise you've got Ruby Perl Archive Network :P
>>
>> Sorry, I couldn't resist pointing that out, great job though I've
>> always thought we needed something like CPAN and was surprised it was
>> never done before.
>
> he's missing MOST of the letters... since he's not archiving anything or
> distributing it across a network... didn't really deter him no matter how
> much we pointed it out. :P

Ya ya ya. Did you *read* the bugs section? I know the name sucks. :-P

Here are the current bugs again:

### CURRENT BUGS

* Hopefully move rubypan.org to search.rubygems.org
* Also, it needs a new logo

I forgot one bug, the site needs to be "alpha".

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovem...