Background image defined in stylesheet doesn't display

Rob Blimploid

4/15/2009 4:23:00 PM

application.html.erb is correctly finding the stylesheet for my project
via <%= stylesheet_link_tag 'style1' %>. My webpages reflect the
styling properly with a few exceptions .. the most notable being some
jpg images defined for background do not display at all. I have those
images in public/images.

The following is the stylesheet code containing the reference to the
image.

#navigation {
width: 180px;
height: 484px;
background: #7da5a8 url(backgrounds/nav-bg.jpg) no-repeat;
}

This worked fine until I retrofitted the webpages into the Rails
framework (which I really like, but which I'm relative new to).

If anyone knows the solution, I would really appreciate it ... thanks in
advance!

Rubio

Mohit Sindhwani

Rob Blimploid wrote:
> application.html.erb is correctly finding the stylesheet for my project
> via <%= stylesheet_link_tag 'style1' %>. My webpages reflect the
> styling properly with a few exceptions .. the most notable being some
> .jpg images defined for background do not display at all. I have those
> images in public/images.

So, the URL for the images is images/... relative to the path of your
application.

> The following is the stylesheet code containing the reference to the
> image.
>
> #navigation {
> width: 180px;
> height: 484px;
> background: #7da5a8 url(backgrounds/nav-bg.jpg) no-repeat;
> }
If your stylesheet is in public/stylesheets/styles.css [example], then
the relative path to the images directory is:
url(../images/...jpg) or url(../images/backgrounds/image.jpg)
depending on where exactly you placed the files.

Cheers,
Mohit.
4/16/2009 | 12:30 AM.

Rob Blimploid

Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
If your stylesheet is in public/stylesheets/styles.css [example], then
the relative path to the images directory is:
url(../images/...jpg) or url(../images/backgrounds/image.jpg)
depending on where exactly you placed the files.

> Rob Blimploid wrote:
>> application.html.erb is correctly finding the stylesheet for my project
>> via <%= stylesheet_link_tag 'style1' %>. My webpages reflect the
>> styling properly with a few exceptions .. the most notable being some
>> .jpg images defined for background do not display at all. I have those
>> images in public/images.
>>

> So, the URL for the images is images/... relative to the path of your
> application.
>
>> The following is the stylesheet code containing the reference to the
>> image.
>>
>> #navigation {
>> width: 180px;
>> height: 484px;
>> background: #7da5a8 url(backgrounds/nav-bg.jpg) no-repeat;
>> }
> If your stylesheet is in public/stylesheets/styles.css [example], then
> the relative path to the images directory is:
> url(../images/...jpg) or url(../images/backgrounds/image.jpg)
> depending on where exactly you placed the files.
>
> Cheers,
> Mohit.
> 4/16/2009 | 12:30 AM.

Many thanks Mohit ... worked beautifully using the relative path !!
Didn't expect such a quick response with the correct solution !!

Cheers to you as well !

Mohit Sindhwani

Rob Blimploid wrote:
> Many thanks Mohit ... worked beautifully using the relative path !!
> Didn't expect such a quick response with the correct solution !!
>
> Cheers to you as well !

You're most welcome. I'm not replying for you, it's a selfish move - I
just asked a question myself, so I'm waiting for answers :P
This is me paying it forward :)

Cheers,
Mohit.
4/16/2009 | 12:57 AM.