Install a Windows server made with Ruby

Alexandre Stehlin

4/15/2009 12:29:00 PM

Hello everybody !

I've got this problem : my boss asked me to install 3 Windows Services
made with Ruby on a new computer, because he wants to replace the one
witch is actually in use.

I found the Ruby files on the old computer (the service installer and
the services themselves), installer Ruby on the new one like it is on
the old one (same gems,...)

I used the cmd to install the services, everything thing seems to be ok.

I checked the services list, the new service is in it. But I can't start
it. I've got an Error 1067 (process stopped unexpectedly)

I would like to know if you had ideas to solve my problem. Do I have to
look the gems I'm using ? Do I need to use another Windows Service
installer ?

Thanks to give me things to solve this problem...

If you need some more informations, please ask !

Thanks

Alex

Roger Pack

> I would like to know if you had ideas to solve my problem. Do I have to
> look the gems I'm using ? Do I need to use another Windows Service
> installer ?

Try to run it from the command line first?
-=r

Alexandre Stehlin

Roger Pack wrote:

>> I would like to know if you had ideas to solve my problem. Do I have to
>> look the gems I'm using ? Do I need to use another Windows Service
>> installer ?
>
> Try to run it from the command line first?
> -=r

Do you mean like :
C:\Program Files\ruby\bin\rubyw.exe "C:\Program
Files\RR_outils\FileHandler\FileHandler.rb" -=r

aldric[removeme]

I'd say plain ruby.exe - we're looking for error messages that come from Ruby,
because they may explain it better.

--
Aldric Giacomoni<br>
Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around us in awareness.

Alexandre Stehlin

Nobody for an idea ?

Or maybe somebody can explain me how to install a windows service
without Ruby ?

Roger Pack

Alexandre Stehlin wrote:
> Roger Pack wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to know if you had ideas to solve my problem. Do I have to
>>> look the gems I'm using ? Do I need to use another Windows Service
>>> installer ?
>>
>> Try to run it from the command line first?
>> -=r
>
> Do you mean like :
> C:\Program Files\ruby\bin\rubyw.exe "C:\Program
> Files\RR_outils\FileHandler\FileHandler.rb" -=r

yeah, or
C:\Program Files\ruby\bin\ruby.exe "C:\Program
Files\RR_outils\FileHandler\FileHandler.rb"

just to make sure the program doesn't die.
perhaps the win32-service gem would allow you to create a service that
redirects its stdout+stderr to somewhere so you could see the output.
Good luck.
-=r

Alexandre Stehlin

Roger Pack wrote:
> Alexandre Stehlin wrote:

>>> Try to run it from the command line first?
>>> -=r
>>
>> Do you mean like :
>> C:\Program Files\ruby\bin\rubyw.exe "C:\Program
>> Files\RR_outils\FileHandler\FileHandler.rb" -=r
>
> yeah, or
> C:\Program Files\ruby\bin\ruby.exe "C:\Program
> Files\RR_outils\FileHandler\FileHandler.rb"
>
> just to make sure the program doesn't die.
> perhaps the win32-service gem would allow you to create a service that
> redirects its stdout+stderr to somewhere so you could see the output.
> Good luck.
> -=r

Hello !
With C:\Program Files\ruby\bin\ruby.exe "C:\Program
Files\RR_outils\FileHandler\FileHandler.rb", I got this :
Usage: FileHandler [options]
-i, --interactive Run as standalone
-d, --debug Print out debug information
-... (the rest of the commands)

What does "stdout+stderr" mean ?

Thanks for your help !

Roger Pack

>> just to make sure the program doesn't die.
>> perhaps the win32-service gem would allow you to create a service that
>> redirects its stdout+stderr to somewhere so you could see the output.
>> Good luck.
>> -=r
>
> Hello !
> With C:\Program Files\ruby\bin\ruby.exe "C:\Program
> Files\RR_outils\FileHandler\FileHandler.rb", I got this :
> Usage: FileHandler [options]
> -i, --interactive Run as standalone
> -d, --debug Print out debug information
> -... (the rest of the commands)
>
> What does "stdout+stderr" mean ?

It means redirect output to a file. Difficult to explain, though this
might help.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=redirect%20stdout%20stderr&ie=UTF-8&am...
Cheers.
-=r

Glen Holcomb

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> >> just to make sure the program doesn't die.
> >> perhaps the win32-service gem would allow you to create a service that
> >> redirects its stdout+stderr to somewhere so you could see the output.
> >> Good luck.
> >> -=3Dr
> >
> > Hello !
> > With C:\Program Files\ruby\bin\ruby.exe "C:\Program
> > Files\RR_outils\FileHandler\FileHandler.rb", I got this :
> > Usage: FileHandler [options]
> > -i, --interactive Run as standalone
> > -d, --debug Print out debug information
> > -... (the rest of the commands)
> >
> > What does "stdout+stderr" mean ?
>
> It means redirect output to a file. Difficult to explain, though this
> might help.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?client=3Dsafari&rls=3Den&q=3Dredire...
ut%20stderr&ie=3DUTF-8&oe=3DUTF-8
> Cheers.
> -=3Dr

It is possible to "redirect" but you have to re-open the streams and point
them to a file.
$stdout =3D File.open("C:\\out_file", "w")

--=20
so loud, I can=92t hear a word you=92re saying."

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Alexandre Stehlin

Glen Holcomb wrote:
> It is possible to "redirect" but you have to re-open the streams and
> point
> them to a file.
> $stdout = File.open("C:\\out_file", "w")

Thanks for the answear !
Where do I have to put the $stdout = File.open("C:\\out_file", "w") line
?

Roger Pack

> Thanks for the answear !
> Where do I have to put the $stdout = File.open("C:\\out_file", "w") line
> ?

beginning of the script