perl2ruby or inline::perl?

Paul Archer

4/14/2009 2:32:00 PM

I would like to use the exiftool library for exif/iptc/xmp image metadata
manipulation, but it's written in Perl. Since it seems somehow wrong and
definitely inefficient, I was wondering if there was any sort of perl2ruby
convertor, or if there was an inline::perl module that could at least take
the Perl and compile it to bytecode.

Paul

3 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Apr 14, 2009, at 07:32, Paul Archer wrote:
> I would like to use the exiftool library for exif/iptc/xmp image
> metadata manipulation, but it's written in Perl. Since it seems
> somehow wrong and definitely inefficient, I was wondering if there
> was any sort of perl2ruby convertor, or if there was an inline::perl
> module that could at least take the Perl and compile it to bytecode.

None of these are suitable?

$ gem search -r exif

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

exifr (0.10.8)
extexif (1.0.1)
mini_exiftool (1.0.1)
multi_exiftool (0.0.1)

Paul Archer

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2009, at 07:32, Paul Archer wrote:
>> I would like to use the exiftool library for exif/iptc/xmp image metadata
>> manipulation, but it's written in Perl. Since it seems somehow wrong and
>> definitely inefficient, I was wondering if there was any sort of perl2ruby
>> convertor, or if there was an inline::perl module that could at least take
>> the Perl and compile it to bytecode.
>
> None of these are suitable?
>
> $ gem search -r exif
>
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
>
> exifr (0.10.8)
> extexif (1.0.1)

Both are exif-only. EXIF is the metadata the camera writes. It is
writable/modify-able, but mostly to add gps info, or correct dates.
IPTC and XMP have fields to add much richer metadata: caption,
description, keywords, etc.

> mini_exiftool (1.0.1)
> multi_exiftool (0.0.1)

Both are interfaces to the Perl based exiftool mentioned above.

Paul

Jan Friedrich

Paul Archer <paul@paularcher.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Eric Hodel wrote:
>
>> On Apr 14, 2009, at 07:32, Paul Archer wrote:
>>> I would like to use the exiftool library for exif/iptc/xmp image
>>> metadata manipulation, but it's written in Perl. Since it seems
>>> somehow wrong and definitely inefficient, I was wondering if there was
>>> any sort of perl2ruby convertor, or if there was an inline::perl
>>> module that could at least take the Perl and compile it to bytecode.
>>
>> None of these are suitable?
>>
>> $ gem search -r exif
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> mini_exiftool (1.0.1)
>> multi_exiftool (0.0.1)
>>
> Both are interfaces to the Perl based exiftool mentioned above.
What do you want to do? I don't belive that executing Perl bytecode is
*much* faster than using the command-line interface of exiftool.

Regards,
Jan