What is the equivalent of 's in ruby?

Daniel DeLorme

4/14/2009 9:51:00 AM

Is there a website that documents which method in ruby is equivalent to
which function in PHP? Or any other programming language? I could swear
something like this has been posted to this list before, but I couldn't
find any trace of it.

--
Daniel

4 Answers

Mark Thomas

On Apr 14, 5:51 am, Daniel DeLorme <dan...@dan42.com> wrote:
> Is there a website that documents which method in ruby is equivalent to
> which function in PHP? Or any other programming language? I could swear
> something like this has been posted to this list before, but I couldn't
> find any trace of it.

A simple function translation will result in PHP written in ruby
syntax. It's far better to learn idiomatic ruby. ri and irb are your
friends.

Chris Lowis

> Is there a website that documents which method in ruby is equivalent to
> which function in PHP? Or any other programming language? I could swear
> something like this has been posted to this list before, but I couldn't
> find any trace of it.

There's this from the official site:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-...

Covers PHP, C, Java and a few others.

Chris

Javier Alvarez

Give this site a try: http://railsf...

--
Javier Alvarez Samayoa
Web2.0 Developer and Open Source Advocate

Daniel DeLorme

Javier Alvarez wrote:
> Give this site a try: http://railsf...

Thank you, that's a nice little website. The function reference is
not exactly extensive, but it's a very good start. One of the nice
things is that it explains the ruby idioms equivalent to a given
PHP function. So there goes your objection, Mr. Thomas :-P

Now if only there was a website like that to assist ruby programmers
trying to code in, say, OCaml.

Daniel