Ruby editor for linux

Juan Zanos

4/8/2009 3:02:00 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Ruby editor on Linux? I
usually use TextMate on the mac. I'm running Kubuntu and I've
tried Kate, Emacs, and vi. At least with the default setup I can't
say I'm very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

38 Answers

Jeff Schwab

Juan Zanos wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a Ruby editor on Linux? I
> usually use TextMate on the mac. I'm running Kubuntu and I've
> tried Kate, Emacs, and vi. At least with the default setup I can't
> say I'm very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

vim. If you typed vi, you probably got vim, but configured in
"vi-compatible" mode. Try this:

touch ~/.vimrc
vimtutor

Kyle Schmitt

For quick scripts I'm fond of SciTE. It's slick, no nonsense coding goodness.

Some pros & cons

Pros:
lightweight (both cpu and memory)
color syntax highlighting
code folding
multiple files open as tabs
run & debug ruby (and other languages)
runs pretty much identically in Linux, *BSD, OSX, Windows

Cons:
limited to 10 open tabs
<whine>printing is sometimes flaky</whine>
<whine>occasional crashes (about once every few months)</whine>
<whine>line numbers not on by default</whine>
<whine>can run in windows....</whine>

yes, note the whine tags. They aren't really problems for me.

--Kyle

Ben Lovell

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for a Ruby editor on Linux? I usually
> use TextMate on the mac. I'm running Kubuntu and I've tried Kate, Emacs,
> and vi. At least with the default setup I can't say I'm very productive
> editing Ruby code with any of them.

Although it is still in it's relative infancy Redcar is shaping up nicely
and well worth a look. Particularly since most TextMate bundles are
compatible.

http://redcare...

Ben

Mark Thomas

I use NetBeans Ruby edition. I'm very happy with it.

botp

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Ben Lovell <benjamin.lovell@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://redcare...

looks promising, but i have a problem building it on ruby1.9 on
linux... maybe i will wait more ;)

mutati0n mutati0n

i use Gedit with some useful plug-in , and it do my work excellent

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM, botp <botpena@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Ben Lovell <benjamin.lovell@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > http://redcare...
> >

> looks promising, but i have a problem building it on ruby1.9 on
> linux... maybe i will wait more ;)

Joel VanderWerf

Juan Zanos wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a Ruby editor on Linux? I
> usually use TextMate on the mac. I'm running Kubuntu and I've tried
> Kate, Emacs, and vi. At least with the default setup I can't say I'm
> very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

nedit is nice --- with ruby config in:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/...

Paganoni

le 08/04/2009 18:39, Mark Thomas nous a dit:
> I use NetBeans Ruby edition. I'm very happy with it.

And RadRails (standalone or as an Eclipse plugin) is not bad for pure
Ruby projects too... But it's a resource hog !

Pistos Christou

Juan Zanos wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a Ruby editor on Linux? I
> usually use TextMate on the mac. I'm running Kubuntu and I've
> tried Kate, Emacs, and vi. At least with the default setup I can't
> say I'm very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

I use Diakonos. Certainly my preference for terminal/tty/ssh editing --
it probably won't supplant GUI editors.

Written entirely in Ruby, extremely configurable, easy to use, and made
especially for people that couldn't or don't want to figure out emacs
and vi(m). If you can do something in Ruby or with a shell one-liner,
you can assign a key to do it in Diakonos.

Homepage: http://purepistos.ne...
Announcements: http://blog.purepistos.net/?...
IRC: irc.freenode.net #mathetes

Michael Satterwhite

I like Bluefish. Easy to use, supports Ruby highlighting (and almost
everything else) and has project support.