JRuby on Rails on Google App Engine

Ola Bini

4/8/2009 5:22:00 AM

Hi friends,

As you might have heard, Google has released support for Java on App Engine.

I've been part of a preview, and know that JRuby, Ruby on Rails and Merb
works very well on it.

More information here:
http://o.../blog/2009/04/java-on-google-a...
http://o.../blog/2009/04/dynamic-languages-on-google-app-engine-an...
http://o.../blog/2009/04/jruby-on-rails-on-google-a...

Cheers

--
Ola Bini (http://o...)
Ioke creator (http:...)

Charles Oliver Nutter

Ola Bini wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> As you might have heard, Google has released support for Java on App
> Engine.
>
> I've been part of a preview, and know that JRuby, Ruby on Rails and Merb
> works very well on it.

That's so awesome! Thanks for working on this, it's a really excellent
surprise.

- Charlie

Piyush Ranjan

This is really cool!

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter <
charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote:

> Ola Bini wrote:
>
>> Hi friends,
>>
>> As you might have heard, Google has released support for Java on App
>> Engine.
>>
>> I've been part of a preview, and know that JRuby, Ruby on Rails and Merb
>> works very well on it.
>>

> That's so awesome! Thanks for working on this, it's a really excellent
> surprise.
>
> - Charlie

James Britt

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Ola Bini wrote:
>> Hi friends,
>>
>> As you might have heard, Google has released support for Java on App
>> Engine.
>>
>> I've been part of a preview, and know that JRuby, Ruby on Rails and
>> Merb works very well on it.
>
> That's so awesome! Thanks for working on this, it's a really excellent
> surprise.

Ramaze and Sinatra work as well.

(I need to write up some instructions for Ramaze because you need a
patch to work around the GAE restriction on threads.)

--
James Britt

Charles Oliver Nutter

James Britt wrote:
> Ramaze and Sinatra work as well.
>
> (I need to write up some instructions for Ramaze because you need a
> patch to work around the GAE restriction on threads.)

Cool, so it sounds like Rails, Merb, Sinatra, Ramaze, and Tom Enebo's
"Ruvlets" have all been successfully deployed.

There's a project in progress to make GAE deployment as simple as
possible...stay tuned!

- Charlie

James Britt

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
>> Ramaze and Sinatra work as well.
>>
>> (I need to write up some instructions for Ramaze because you need a
>> patch to work around the GAE restriction on threads.)
>
> Cool, so it sounds like Rails, Merb, Sinatra, Ramaze, and Tom Enebo's
> "Ruvlets" have all been successfully deployed.
>
> There's a project in progress to make GAE deployment as simple as
> possible...stay tuned!

Very good stuff going on.

And if anyone doubts the power of IRC, I got amazing help from folks on
#jruby and #ramaze on freenode while getting Ramaze running on GAE.

It's a 24-hour hackfest.

--
James Britt