comp.lang.python

read and readline hanging

Olivier Lefevre

1/24/2008 11:05:00 PM

I am calling subprocess.Popen with
p = Popen(args, bufsize=-1, stdin=PIPE, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE)
and after sending come command to the process, I try to read
from p.stdout but after a few calls I hang. What is the correct
way to do this, i.e., to read everything w/o getting stuck? I am
not familiar with all these low-level functions and their annoying
blocking behaviour. Note that I don't want to close the process
because I want to send more commands to it after that, read the
results, and so on and on.

Thanks,

-- O.L.

24 Answers

Jeff M

On 7/27/2014 8:43 AM, Thomas Paine wrote:
> Winston_Smith <invalid@butterfly.net> wrote in
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:48:11 -0700, "raykeller" wrote:
>>
>>> In case you missed it, Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY)
>>> attacked your Gun Owners of America late last week.
>>>
>>> In doing so, Maloney called for Capitol Hill law
>>> enforcement to investigate GOA Executive Director Larry Pratt for saying
>>> that the Second Amendment is "for restraining tyrannical tendencies in
>>> government . especially those in the liberal, tyrannical end of the
>>> spectrum."
>>
>> Pratt is right of course.
>>
>> But I fear a police state from the right much more than one from the
>> left. They have God on their side for one thing, so they are much more
>> confident if they do that. Good at making enemies lists too so they
>> have the grounds to prove there is a danger they have to fight at any
>> cost, by any means.
>>
> The you are an idiot who should kill himself.

You are a death fetishist. According to your posts, someone's death is
the requisite response to anything and everything you happen not to
like. I realize that, in real life, you're a harmless little fellow,
but you're not a healthy or well-adjusted one.

> There isn't going to be a
> right wing police state in America, but there IS a left wing one.

Can you describe this "left wing police state" of you're imagining?

--
?The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification

Uncle Steve

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 01:43:37PM +0000, Thomas Paine wrote:
> Winston_Smith <invalid@butterfly.net> wrote in
>
> > On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:48:11 -0700, "raykeller" wrote:
> >
> >> In case you missed it, Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY)
> >>attacked your Gun Owners of America late last week.
> >>
> >> In doing so, Maloney called for Capitol Hill law
> >>enforcement to investigate GOA Executive Director Larry Pratt for saying
> >>that the Second Amendment is "for restraining tyrannical tendencies in
> >>government . especially those in the liberal, tyrannical end of the
> >>spectrum."
> >
> > Pratt is right of course.
> >
> > But I fear a police state from the right much more than one from the
> > left. They have God on their side for one thing, so they are much more
> > confident if they do that. Good at making enemies lists too so they
> > have the grounds to prove there is a danger they have to fight at any
> > cost, by any means.
> >

> The you are an idiot who should kill himself. There isn't going to be a
> right wing police state in America, but there IS a left wing one.

How do you account for the fact that discussion of the actual,
barbaric practices of organized religion is subject to a complete ban?
It cannot be a result of quasi-theocratic police-state policies, now
can it?

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
Let me guess. The voices in _your_ head tell you that you're
special/intelligent/chosen/whatever which makes the quality of _your_

Gray Ghost

Uncle Steve <stevet810@gmail.com> wrote in news:912b04466c5bb4c-f67c6
@gmail.com:

> On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 01:43:37PM +0000, Thomas Paine wrote:
>> Winston_Smith <invalid@butterfly.net> wrote in

>> > Pratt is right of course.
>> >
>> > But I fear a police state from the right much more than one from the
>> > left. They have God on their side for one thing, so they are much more
>> > confident if they do that. Good at making enemies lists too so they
>> > have the grounds to prove there is a danger they have to fight at any
>> > cost, by any means.
>> >

>> The you are an idiot who should kill himself. There isn't going to be a
>> right wing police state in America, but there IS a left wing one.
>
> How do you account for the fact that discussion of the actual,
> barbaric practices of organized religion is subject to a complete ban?
> It cannot be a result of quasi-theocratic police-state policies, now
> can it?
>

> Regards,
>
> Uncle Steve

I don't. You're fantasizing or hallucinating.

Christians have cleaned upthier act considerably.

Islam continues to commit atrocities which are well documented.

Life is not a bad adolescent scifi novel.

--
When the government is no longer constrained by the laws of the land, then
neither are the people.

Winston_Smith

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:43:37 +0000 (UTC), Thomas Paine wrote:

>The you are an idiot who should kill himself.

Well that pretty well substantiates your opinon on this and any other
subject. You fully explained the original subject and nicely filled in
the details with substantiated facts.

Do post again if you get an actual thought on something.

Why do I think Plimpton has yet another new name?

Uncle Steve

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 04:25:57PM +0000, Thomas Paine wrote:
> Uncle Steve <stevet810@gmail.com> wrote in news:912b04466c5bb4c-f67c6
> @gmail.com:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 01:43:37PM +0000, Thomas Paine wrote:
> >> Winston_Smith <invalid@butterfly.net> wrote in

> saying

> >> The you are an idiot who should kill himself. There isn't going to be a
> >> right wing police state in America, but there IS a left wing one.
> >
> > How do you account for the fact that discussion of the actual,
> > barbaric practices of organized religion is subject to a complete ban?
> > It cannot be a result of quasi-theocratic police-state policies, now
> > can it?
>
> I don't. You're fantasizing or hallucinating.

Ok. A trivial example: the obvious fraud associated with television
evangelists who exploit the naive. And it is a knowing fraud. But
all they have to do is say they believe and apologists like you accept
them at their word.

> Christians have cleaned upthier act considerably.

They've learned to "work" in secret as much as possoble, if that's
what you mean. My favorite method is their deliberate incompetence
whereby they do harm even as they pretend to have good intentions.

Of course, people like you have no idea why conditions so rarely
improve and nearly always get worse. Such a mystery.

> Islam continues to commit atrocities which are well documented.

Different in kind, but not necessarily degree.

> Life is not a bad adolescent scifi novel.

Fuck you and the straw men you rode in on.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
Let me guess. The voices in _your_ head tell you that you're
special/intelligent/chosen/whatever which makes the quality of _your_
delusions so much better than those reported by your garden-variety
mental patient.

Big Muddy

On 7/26/2014 10:31 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
> But I fear a police state from the right much more than one from the
> left.

Then you're either fucking crazy or in the bag for the Dems who want to
take our guns away from us.

Which is it, traitor?

Big Muddy

On 7/27/2014 8:10 AM, Jeff M wrote:
>> The you are an idiot who should kill himself.
>
> You are a death fetishist.

Anyone who calls fort yours is to be commended, you sack of lying
landshark shit!

Big Muddy

On 7/27/2014 11:05 AM, Winston_Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:43:37 +0000 (UTC), Thomas Paine wrote:
>
>> The you are an idiot who should kill himself.
>
> Well that pretty well substantiates your opinon on this and any other
> subject.

And he is, of course - RIGHT!

Big Muddy

On 7/27/2014 1:45 PM, Uncle Steve wrote:
> Fuck you and the straw men you rode in on.

What, you have straw man jealousy now?

Big Muddy

On 7/27/2014 11:05 AM, Winston_Smith wrote:
> Why do I think Plimpton has yet another new name?

Because you are wracked with paranoia and fear after the last few
thrashings he has administered upon you.