comp.lang.python

A GUI framework for running simulations

ram.rachum@gmail.com

1/23/2008 2:10:00 PM

Hello! I am currently working on writing a simulation engine for
special relativity physics. I'm writing it in Python, of course. I'm
doing fine with the engine, but I want a GUI framework in which I
could use it conveniently, and test different setups on it. I'm not so
strong with GUI programming. I looked at Tkinter, I looked at
WxPython, I looked at PythonCard. It all looks pretty daunting.

My question is, does there exist a GUI package that is intended
specifically for simulations? I saw a program called Golly, which is a
simulation for Conway's Game of Life. Its GUI had most of the features
I needed. For example, you can load a setup, there are "play" and
"stop" buttons, you can change a setup and save it, etc.

So does anyone know of a general GUI framework for running
simulations?
5 Answers

Guilherme Polo

2008/1/23, ram.rachum@gmail.com <ram.rachum@gmail.com>:
> Hello! I am currently working on writing a simulation engine for
> special relativity physics. I'm writing it in Python, of course. I'm
> doing fine with the engine, but I want a GUI framework in which I
> could use it conveniently, and test different setups on it. I'm not so
> strong with GUI programming. I looked at Tkinter, I looked at
> WxPython, I looked at PythonCard. It all looks pretty daunting.
>
> My question is, does there exist a GUI package that is intended
> specifically for simulations? I saw a program called Golly, which is a
> simulation for Conway's Game of Life. Its GUI had most of the features
> I needed. For example, you can load a setup, there are "play" and
> "stop" buttons, you can change a setup and save it, etc.

Golly uses wxWidgets, and if you are planning to use Python then you
would be using wxPython.

> So does anyone know of a general GUI framework for running
> simulations?

All them serves this purpose. The main part of your gui application
will be a custom widget that you will need to do yourself.

-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

Stef Mientki

ram.rachum@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello! I am currently working on writing a simulation engine for
> special relativity physics. I'm writing it in Python, of course. I'm
> doing fine with the engine, but I want a GUI framework in which I
> could use it conveniently, and test different setups on it. I'm not so
> strong with GUI programming. I looked at Tkinter, I looked at
> WxPython, I looked at PythonCard. It all looks pretty daunting.
>
> My question is, does there exist a GUI package that is intended
> specifically for simulations? I saw a program called Golly, which is a
> simulation for Conway's Game of Life. Its GUI had most of the features
> I needed. For example, you can load a setup, there are "play" and
> "stop" buttons, you can change a setup and save it, etc.
>
> So does anyone know of a general GUI framework for running
> simulations?

although quit premature,
PyLab_Works might be of interest,
see some demos here (watch the demo at the bottom first):
http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_animations_screen...

(you can contact me offline if PyLab_Works looks interesting to you).

cheers,
Stef Mientki

ram.rachum@gmail.com

On Jan 23, 5:12 pm, Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nos...@mailbox.kun.nl>
wrote:
> ram.rac...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello! I am currently working on writing a simulation engine for
> > special relativity physics. I'm writing it in Python, of course. I'm
> > doing fine with the engine, but I want a GUI framework in which I
> > could use it conveniently, and test different setups on it. I'm not so
> > strong with GUI programming. I looked at Tkinter, I looked at
> > WxPython, I looked at PythonCard. It all looks pretty daunting.
>
> > My question is, does there exist a GUI package that is intended
> > specifically for simulations? I saw a program called Golly, which is a
> > simulation for Conway's Game of Life. Its GUI had most of the features
> > I needed. For example, you can load a setup, there are "play" and
> > "stop" buttons, you can change a setup and save it, etc.
>
> > So does anyone know of a general GUI framework for running
> > simulations?
>
> although quit premature,
> PyLab_Works might be of interest,
> see some demos here (watch the demo at the bottom first):http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_ani......
>
> (you can contact me offline if PyLab_Works looks interesting to you).
>
> cheers,
> Stef Mientki

Thank you, Stef and Guilherme. I'll be checking those things out. If
anyone else who has an idea for something that can help me, I'll be
happy to hear it!

Ram.

Martin Manns

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:10:07 -0800 (PST)
"ram.rachum@gmail.com" <ram.rachum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello! I am currently working on writing a simulation engine for
> special relativity physics. I'm writing it in Python, of course. I'm
> doing fine with the engine, but I want a GUI framework in which I
> could use it conveniently, and test different setups on it. I'm not so
> strong with GUI programming. I looked at Tkinter, I looked at
> WxPython, I looked at PythonCard. It all looks pretty daunting.

If you want to keep things simple, pygame could be an alternative for
visualizing simulations and setting parameters even though it does not
provide all these fancy widgets around.

Martin

Nick Craig-Wood

Martin Manns <mmanns@gmx.net> wrote:
> If you want to keep things simple, pygame could be an alternative for
> visualizing simulations and setting parameters even though it does not
> provide all these fancy widgets around.

I'd second that.

pygame will give you a window you can draw on which you can plot the
result of your simulation.

You can draw a few buttons (like play and stop) and detect clicks in
them very easily.

If you want loads of parameters then you'll either need to reach for a
GUI toolkit or roll your own menuing system for pygame (which isn't
that hard).

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick@craig-wood.com> -- http://www.craig-woo...