comp.lang.c++

I want to know the standards document of the c++ language

Sreenivas Reddy Thatiparthy

9/25/2008 10:07:00 AM

I want to know the standards document of the c++ language .Where can
i get??
How different is c++ from vc++?

15 Answers

jt

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 03:07:25 -0700, Sreenivas wrote:

> I want to know the standards document of the c++ language

The current standard (1998) is known as "ISO/IEC 14882:1998". The most recent
revision was in 2003 and is known as "ISO/IEC 14882:2003". It is produced by
the The C++ Standards Committee:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/...

> Where can i get??

It is not free (nor cheap). You can buy it here:

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?csnu...

> How different is c++ from vc++?

C++ is a programming language. Visual C++ is a Microsoft software product
including a C++ compiler, development environment and a bunch of libraries.
It is intended for developing C++ programs for MS Windows.

--
Lionel B

Victor Bazarov

Lionel B wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 03:07:25 -0700, Sreenivas wrote:
>
>> I want to know the standards document of the c++ language
>
> The current standard (1998)

A nit-pick: the *current* standard *is* the 2003 version, i.e. the most
recent revision. The document dated 1998 has been *obsoleted*.

> is known as "ISO/IEC 14882:1998". The most recent
> revision was in 2003 and is known as "ISO/IEC 14882:2003". It is produced by
> the The C++ Standards Committee:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/...
>
>> Where can i get??
>
> It is not free (nor cheap).

"Cheap" is a relative term. $30 or so for a PDF document once every
five years is not really *that* expensive...

> You can buy it here:
>
> http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?csnu...

Actually, I find ANSI web store more accommodating in terms of prices.
I don't think they'd refuse to sell a copy to you. Try

http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=INCITS%2fISO%2fIEC+...

>> How different is c++ from vc++?
>
> C++ is a programming language. Visual C++ is a Microsoft software product
> including a C++ compiler, development environment and a bunch of libraries.
> It is intended for developing C++ programs for MS Windows.

There should also be a mention that the compiler included in VC++
package provides numerous extensions to the language. You don't have to
use them, but if you do, the language is not C++ any more. There is
also a new language they call "Managed C++" or "C++.NET", which has some
similarities with C++. Questions about Visual C++ should be posted in
the VC++ newsgroup: 'microsoft.public.vc.language'.

jt

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:12:07 -0400, Victor Bazarov wrote:

> Lionel B wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 03:07:25 -0700, Sreenivas wrote:

[...]

>> The most recent
>> revision was in 2003 and is known as "ISO/IEC 14882:2003". It is
>> produced by the The C++ Standards Committee:
>>
>> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/...
>>
>>> Where can i get??
>>
>> It is not free (nor cheap).
>
> "Cheap" is a relative term. $30 or so for a PDF document once every
> five years is not really *that* expensive...

Wow. So how does the ISO store get off on selling it (the PDF) for
CHF 370, which works out as about $340 ?!

>> You can buy it here:
>>
>> http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?csnu...
>
> Actually, I find ANSI web store more accommodating in terms of prices.

You're not kidding!

> I don't think they'd refuse to sell a copy to you.

No sir, my money's as good as anyone's.

> Try
>
> http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=INCITS%2fISO%2fIEC+...
>
>>> How different is c++ from vc++?
>>
>> C++ is a programming language. Visual C++ is a Microsoft software
>> product including a C++ compiler, development environment and a bunch
>> of libraries. It is intended for developing C++ programs for MS
>> Windows.
>>
> There should also be a mention that the compiler included in VC++
> package provides numerous extensions to the language. You don't have to
> use them, but if you do, the language is not C++ any more.

I suspect that goes for many (most?) compilers - certainly does for g++.
A major gripe is that such compilers also seem to *default* to non-standards-
comliance and that it's generally a major pain to work out how to run them
in fully standards-compliant mode.

[...]

--
Lionel B

Victor Bazarov

Lionel B wrote:
> [..] So how does the ISO store get off on selling it (the PDF) for
> CHF 370, which works out as about $340 ?!

Not too often, I'm afraid, but when they do, they have a party :-)

> [..]

red floyd

On Sep 25, 8:01 am, Lionel B <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Wow. So how does the ISO store get off on selling it (the PDF) for
> CHF 370, which works out as about $340 ?!
>
> >> You can buy it here:
>
> >>http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_ics/catalogu......
>
> > Actually, I find ANSI web store more accommodating in terms of prices.
>
> You're not kidding!
>
> > I don't think they'd refuse to sell a copy to you.
>
> No sir, my money's as good as anyone's.
>
> >  Try
>
> >http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=INCITS%2fISO.......

You can buy a dead tree version for about $75 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Incorporating-Technical-Corrigendum-No-1/dp/...

[inflation... it was $65 when I bough it]

or $68 [member price] from B&N

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?EAN=...

Obnoxious User

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:45:23 -0700, red floyd wrote:

> On Sep 25, 8:01 am, Lionel B <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Wow. So how does the ISO store get off on selling it (the PDF) for CHF
>> 370, which works out as about $340 ?!

catalogue_detail_i...

>> > Actually, I find ANSI web store more accommodating in terms of
>> > prices.
>>
>> You're not kidding!
>>
>> > I don't think they'd refuse to sell a copy to you.
>>
>> No sir, my money's as good as anyone's.
>>
>> >  Try
>>
>> >http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=INCITS%2...
+148...

> You can buy a dead tree version for about $75 from Amazon.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Incorporating-Technical-Corrige...
dp/0470846747

> [inflation... it was $65 when I bough it]
>
> or $68 [member price] from B&N
>
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnin...
> EAN=0470846747

Or just $42 from http://www.bokus.com/b/04708....

Any lower bids? :)

--
OU
Remember 18th of June 2008, Democracy died that afternoon.

Victor Bazarov

Obnoxious User wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:45:23 -0700, red floyd wrote:
> [..]
>> You can buy a dead tree version for about $75 from Amazon.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Incorporating-Technical-Corrige...
> dp/0470846747
>> [inflation... it was $65 when I bough it]
>>
>> or $68 [member price] from B&N
>>
>> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnin...
>> EAN=0470846747
>
> Or just $42 from http://www.bokus.com/b/04708....
>
> Any lower bids? :)

A stacks of blank paper (500 sheets) would cost about $5 in any office
supply store, and it's more useful than a dead tree version of the
Standard, AFAIC. With the electronic version you at least can search
for text, copy-paste from it, and it doesn't take any room on your shelf
or desk.

James Kanze

On Sep 25, 5:01 pm, Lionel B <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:12:07 -0400, Victor Bazarov wrote:
> > Lionel B wrote:
> >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 03:07:25 -0700, Sreenivas wrote:

> [...]

> >> The most recent revision was in 2003 and is known as
> >> "ISO/IEC 14882:2003". It is produced by the The C++
> >> Standards Committee:

> >>http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/...

> >> It is not free (nor cheap).

> > "Cheap" is a relative term. $30 or so for a PDF document
> > once every five years is not really *that* expensive...

> Wow. So how does the ISO store get off on selling it (the PDF)
> for CHF 370, which works out as about $340 ?!

Technically, I don't think that they're supposed to sell it at
all (but I don't know all the details of the organization).
When I bought my first C standard (paper copy, many, many years
ago), they forwarded my order to AFNOR (because I had a French
address).

> >> You can buy it here:

> >>http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_ics/catalogu......

> > Actually, I find ANSI web store more accommodating in terms
> > of prices.

> You're not kidding!

> > I don't think they'd refuse to sell a copy to you.

> No sir, my money's as good as anyone's.

Technically, I'm almost certain that ANSI isn't supposed to sell
copies outside of the US. Practically, as long as the country
you actually live in doesn't complain...

> > Try

> >http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=INCITS%2fISO.......

> >> C++ is a programming language. Visual C++ is a Microsoft
> >> software product including a C++ compiler, development
> >> environment and a bunch of libraries. It is intended for
> >> developing C++ programs for MS Windows.

> > There should also be a mention that the compiler included in
> > VC++ package provides numerous extensions to the language.
> > You don't have to use them, but if you do, the language is
> > not C++ any more.

> I suspect that goes for many (most?) compilers - certainly
> does for g++. A major gripe is that such compilers also seem
> to *default* to non-standards- comliance and that it's
> generally a major pain to work out how to run them in fully
> standards-compliant mode.

It's more or less a problem with every compiler I know. On the
other hand, I think if you use the IDE, it's easy to
accidentally invoke the compiler as a C++CLI compiler, rather
than a C++ compiler with a few extensions or irregularities;
C++CLI is really a different language. (Of course, I can't say
for sure, as I've never tried to invoke the compiler from the
IDE. Invoked from the command line, it's no worse, and no
better, than any of the others.)

James Kanze

On Sep 25, 7:23 pm, Victor Bazarov <v.Abaza...@comAcast.net> wrote:

[...]
> A stacks of blank paper (500 sheets) would cost about $5 in
> any office supply store, and it's more useful than a dead tree
> version of the Standard, AFAIC. With the electronic version
> you at least can search for text, copy-paste from it, and it
> doesn't take any room on your shelf or desk.

On the other hand, you can't highlight it, or make marginal
notes or stick post-it notes in it. Both versions have their
uses.

Pete Becker

On 2008-09-25 16:23:35 -0400, James Kanze <james.kanze@gmail.com> said:

> On Sep 25, 7:23 pm, Victor Bazarov <v.Abaza...@comAcast.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> A stacks of blank paper (500 sheets) would cost about $5 in
>> any office supply store, and it's more useful than a dead tree
>> version of the Standard, AFAIC. With the electronic version
>> you at least can search for text, copy-paste from it, and it
>> doesn't take any room on your shelf or desk.
>
> On the other hand, you can't highlight it, or make marginal
> notes or stick post-it notes in it. Both versions have their
> uses.

Worst of all, you can't put it on your stomach as a sleep aid.

--
Pete
(www.petebecker.com/tr1book)