comp.lang.python

Beginners question about debugging (import

Albert van der Horst

1/22/2008 5:50:00 PM

I'm starting with Python. First with some interactive things,
working through the tutorial,
then with definitions in a file called sudoku.py.
Of course I make lots of mistakes, so I have to include that file
time and again.

I discovered (the hard way) that the second time you invoke
from sudoku.py import *
nothing happens.

There is reload. But it only seems to work with
import sudoku

Now I find myself typing ``sudoku.'' all the time:

x=sudoku.sudoku()
y=sudoku.create_set_of_sets()
sudoku.symbols

Is there a more convenient way?

(This is a howto question, rather difficult to get answered
from the documentation.)

Groetjes Albert

~

albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van...
1 Answer

Diez B. Roggisch

Albert van der Horst schrieb:
> I'm starting with Python. First with some interactive things,
> working through the tutorial,
> then with definitions in a file called sudoku.py.
> Of course I make lots of mistakes, so I have to include that file
> time and again.
>
> I discovered (the hard way) that the second time you invoke
> from sudoku.py import *
> nothing happens.
>
> There is reload. But it only seems to work with
> import sudoku
>
> Now I find myself typing ``sudoku.'' all the time:
>
> x=sudoku.sudoku()
> y=sudoku.create_set_of_sets()
> sudoku.symbols
>
> Is there a more convenient way?
>
> (This is a howto question, rather difficult to get answered
> from the documentation.)

import sudoku as s

However, I find it easier to just create a test.py and run that from the
shell. For the exact reason that reload has it's caveats and in the end,
more complex testing-code isn't really feasible anyway. If you need to,
drop into the interactive prompt using

python -i test.py

Diez