RDoc::usage has gone

James Ponder

4/1/2009 9:52:00 PM

Hi

RDoc::usage was removed from ruby at the beginning of 2008, and thus is =
not present in Ruby 1.9.1:

Fri Jan 11 18:28:49 2008 Eric Hodel
* lib/rdoc/usage.rb: Removed.
* lib/getoptlong.rb: Update example to not use =
lib/rdoc/usage.rb.

It was a very useful function that allowed documentation in rdoc format =
to be programmatically output. I've been using it for displaying =
extended information either after an OptionsParser help summary output =
or as a replacement when OptionsParser's output isn't suitable. It's =
also very useful for other information-display reasons where you want =
information in rdoc format to also be programmatically available to =
avoid duplication.

It seems a shame that it has gone, especially as it is documented in the =
pickaxe book (second edition) and is widely deployed.

What is a suitable replacement?

James

1 Answer

Eric Hodel

On Apr 1, 2009, at 14:52, James Ponder wrote:
> RDoc::usage was removed from ruby at the beginning of 2008, and thus
> is not present in Ruby 1.9.1:
>
> Fri Jan 11 18:28:49 2008 Eric Hodel
> * lib/rdoc/usage.rb: Removed.
> * lib/getoptlong.rb: Update example to not use lib/rdoc/
> usage.rb.
>
> It was a very useful function that allowed documentation in rdoc
> format to be programmatically output. I've been using it for
> displaying extended information either after an OptionsParser help
> summary output or as a replacement when OptionsParser's output isn't
> suitable. It's also very useful for other information-display
> reasons where you want information in rdoc format to also be
> programmatically available to avoid duplication.
>
> It seems a shame that it has gone, especially as it is documented in
> the pickaxe book (second edition) and is widely deployed.
>
> What is a suitable replacement?

There's no reason you can't take rdoc/usage.rb from RDoc 1, modernize
it and release it as a gem.