Shipping a gem with jruby.jar

Juan Zanos

3/26/2009 8:13:00 PM

Is it possible to ship a gem with jruby.jar in a way that jruby
scripts can access the gem? I'd like to do so in a way that doesn't
require installing either ruby or jruby.

BTW, googling variants of ruby, gem, and shipping produces useless
results.

Juan

13 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Mar 26, 2009, at 13:13, Juan Zanos wrote:
> Is it possible to ship a gem with jruby.jar in a way that jruby
> scripts can access the gem? I'd like to do so in a way that doesn't
> require installing either ruby or jruby.

You need Ruby to install a gem via RubyGems, so I don't see how this
could possibly work.

Juan Zanos

On 26 mars 09, at 17:08, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2009, at 13:13, Juan Zanos wrote:
>> Is it possible to ship a gem with jruby.jar in a way that jruby
>> scripts can access the gem? I'd like to do so in a way that
>> doesn't require installing either ruby or jruby.
>
> You need Ruby to install a gem via RubyGems, so I don't see how
> this could possibly work.

So shipping a Ruby application that uses a gem is impossible?

Juan Zanos

On 26 mars 09, at 17:14, Juan Zanos wrote:

> On 26 mars 09, at 17:08, Eric Hodel wrote:
>
>> On Mar 26, 2009, at 13:13, Juan Zanos wrote:
>>> Is it possible to ship a gem with jruby.jar in a way that jruby
>>> scripts can access the gem? I'd like to do so in a way that
>>> doesn't require installing either ruby or jruby.
>>
>> You need Ruby to install a gem via RubyGems, so I don't see how
>> this could possibly work.
>>

> So shipping a Ruby application that uses a gem is impossible?

I wonder if it's possible to write a gem to jar converter.

Eric Hodel

On Mar 26, 2009, at 14:14, Juan Zanos wrote:
> On 26 mars 09, at 17:08, Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 2009, at 13:13, Juan Zanos wrote:
>>> Is it possible to ship a gem with jruby.jar in a way that jruby
>>> scripts can access the gem? I'd like to do so in a way that
>>> doesn't require installing either ruby or jruby.
>>
>> You need Ruby to install a gem via RubyGems, so I don't see how
>> this could possibly work.
>
> So shipping a Ruby application that uses a gem is impossible?

You said that you want the gem to install without ruby or jruby.
Without a ruby interpreter, a gem won't install.

If you already have ruby or jruby, you can use a gem to ship an
application.

Nick Sieger

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> wrote:

> I wonder if it's possible to write a gem to jar converter.

You may be interested in
http://blog.nicksieger.com/articles/2009/01/10/jruby-1-1-6-gem....
Feel free to hop over to the jruby lists if you want to continue the
discussion.

Cheers,
/Nick

Juan Zanos

On 26 mars 09, at 17:23, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2009, at 14:14, Juan Zanos wrote:
>>>
>>> You need Ruby to install a gem via RubyGems, so I don't see how
>>> this could possibly work.
>>
>> So shipping a Ruby application that uses a gem is impossible?
>

> You said that you want the gem to install without ruby or jruby.
> Without a ruby interpreter, a gem won't install.
>
> If you already have ruby or jruby, you can use a gem to ship an
> application.

Sorry for the confusion. I don't want someone to have to separately
install Ruby or JRuby. Since JRuby comes in a jar that isn't a
problem. I can run a script using just using jruby.jar. What I
don't know is how to get such a script to be able to access a gem.

Juan Zanos

On 26 mars 09, at 17:28, Nick Sieger wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Juan Zanos
> <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if it's possible to write a gem to jar converter.
>
> You may be interested in
> http://blog.nicksieger.com/articles/2009/01/10/jruby-1-1-...
> a-jar.
> Feel free to hop over to the jruby lists if you want to continue the
> discussion.
>
> Cheers,
> /Nick

Thanks, I will do that.
Juan

Etienne Marais

On Nov 8, 3:54 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits
of the Jungle" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 1:58 am, Etienne Marais <etienne.mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I see. Now, do you know the guy I'm talking about? He's a trumpet
> > > player or something.
>
> > Afraid I don't know him.
>
> I'm trying to find him, but see what I came across. The government is
> afraid ofDalaiLama! Not very liberal government....
>
> The South African government is under fire for denying avisato theDalaiLama. The Tibetan spiritual leader was invited to the region for
> a peace conference promoting the 2010 World Cup.
>
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId...

And the ANC Youth League is supporting North Korea which
has a record of tremendous human rights abuses, the ANC
should fit right in.

http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/feb/01/...

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante Banana

On Nov 9, 12:55 am, Bob Dubery <megap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 4:58 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Free Spirits
> of the Jungle" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry my two favorite subjects are REVOLUTIONS BETRAYED (see Animal
> > Farm) and THE ENVIRONMENT. We need a revolution in the world but not
> > the wrong kind.
>
> I disagree. We always need change, but I'm not sure we need
> revolution. Gradual change, reflecting the will of the people, is to
> be preferred to revolution anyday - because revolutionary leaders
> typically do not make good national leaders. They know how to fight,
> but not how to govern, and they are usually ideologues rather than
> pragmatists.

The question is really: VIOLENT VS. NON-VIOLENT REVOLUTION.

Even democracies often support revolutions when it's not in their own
backyard, eg. Velvet Revolution, Orange Revolution, etc. You may say
they are not what you expected but the need for change was there.

Revolution really happens when EVOLUTION is denied. We are witnessing
the Old Guard unwillingness to change and prevent Climate Change. They
are part of the problem by driving SUVs and unleashing Darwinist
competition around the world. There's NO WAY OUT, JUST A WAY UP, which
means become a top predator and climb the food chain at any cost.

On Nov 9, 4:33 am, Bob Dubery <megap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 8:55 am, Etienne Marais <etienne.mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 9, 7:55 am, Bob Dubery <megap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I disagree. We always need change, but I'm not sure we need
> > > revolution. Gradual change, reflecting the will of the people, is to
> > > be preferred to revolution anyday - because revolutionary leaders
> > > typically do not make good national leaders. They know how to fight,
> > > but not how to govern, and they are usually ideologues rather than
> > > pragmatists.
>
> > well said Bob, note however he said not the wrong kind (of
> > revolution),
> > I think he meant change
>
> I think he can speak for himself.

That's what I say. I refer to the right of the people to rule
themselves. Also when their issues are systematically ignored. I think
the right to safety must be placed as the #1 issue.

Notice I'm against Gated Communities but I justify people arming
themselves when the State fails so miserably. If it's a jungle out
there, you must survive in it.

But most importantly MAKE NOISE: This is a failed state!

Not only SA. Hey, even the UK has plenty of those Feudal Communities,
I hear.