Update latest Ruby Version 1.9 on Mac OSX

Salai Khine

Dear All,

How can I Update latest Ruby Version 1.9 ?

I still use Ruby v1.8.6 version on Mac OSX 10.5.6

best regards,

Salai.

5 Answers

Jeremy Kemper

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Thomas Khaipi <sayakyi@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I Update latest Ruby Version 1.9 ?
>
> I still use Ruby v1.8.6 version on Mac OSX 10.5.6

Install it separately instead of upgrading.

Download the source and ./configure --program-suffix=19

Then you have ruby19, irb19, etc at your disposal.

jeremy

Christian

Just install MacPorts and then install 1.9

Florian Gilcher

On Mar 26, 2009, at 6:42 PM, Jeremy Kemper wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Thomas Khaipi <sayakyi@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> How can I Update latest Ruby Version 1.9 ?
>>
>> I still use Ruby v1.8.6 version on Mac OSX 10.5.6
>
> Install it separately instead of upgrading.
>
> Download the source and ./configure --program-suffix=19
>
> Then you have ruby19, irb19, etc at your disposal.
>
> jeremy

The release version of Ruby 1.9 automatically configures itself to use
ruby19.

Ports is stuck at 1.9.1-preview1.

I would advice at not messing with the preinstalled version[1], as
there is a lot
of software depending on it.

Regards,
Florian

[1]: which is not hard, because it's outside of the scope where normal
*nix Software messes around.

--
Florian Gilcher

smtp: flo@andersground.net
jabber: Skade@jabber.ccc.de
gpg: 533148E2

Luc Heinrich

On 26 mars 09, at 19:37, Florian Gilcher wrote:

> Ports is stuck at 1.9.1-preview1.

% port info ruby19
ruby19 @1.9.1-p0 (lang, ruby)

Try a port sync, that might help :p

--
Luc Heinrich - luc@honk-honk.com

Florian Gilcher

On Mar 26, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Luc Heinrich wrote:

> On 26 mars 09, at 19:37, Florian Gilcher wrote:
>
>> Ports is stuck at 1.9.1-preview1.
>

> % port info ruby19
> ruby19 @1.9.1-p0 (lang, ruby)
>
> Try a port sync, that might help :p