What is Ruby's Contribution to Programming?

kunjaan

I am just learning this awesome language Ruby and entering the
languages field. I just wanted to know what are the new innovations
that the Ruby Language contributed to Programming in general?

Sincerely,
Kunjan.
29 Answers

Phlip

kun wrote:
> Hi,
> I am just learning this awesome language Ruby and entering the
> languages field. I just wanted to know what are the new innovations
> that the Ruby Language contributed to Programming in general?

Almost none. What it really did is put...

- OO
- dynamic typing
- block closures & iterators
- lean hashes & aggregates
- reflection
- metaclasses & extension
- exceptions & continuations

....all together in a system with just the slickest possible syntax. None of
those things were glued on as afterthoughts. This allows us to exploit the most
advanced programming techniques, typically more easily than primitive systems.

Luc Heinrich

On 24 mars 09, at 15:06, Phlip wrote:

> - OO
> - dynamic typing
> - block closures & iterators
> - lean hashes & aggregates
> - reflection
> - metaclasses & extension
> - exceptions & continuations

- joy

:)

--
Luc Heinrich - luc@honk-honk.com

jdwillard1

Civil War was not over slavery or states rights but rather about the correct way to play Joplin, which really proves how powerful music is because Joplin was born a few years after the end of the Civil War.

> Andrew

Well i guess i came out swinging! But its strange that we have these problems when we actually have piano rolls of the period of these composers playing their own pieces - that's not to say that we have to do them that way only that its good and helpful to know -- any music that is composed from the bottom up i. e. jazz, ragtime, baroque tends to have a flexible melodic top - how much is interpretive - what DRIVES ME CRAZY is the inflexible rules that people put to historical music as if they have joplin's or dowland's email address. Any historical performance has to come form years of listening to absorb a style and not just a series of memorized rules - YIKES there i am swinging again - time to go back into my home under the bridge

Curmudgeon

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:06:14 PM UTC-4, Jerry Willard wrote:
> Civil War was not over slavery or states rights but rather about the correct way to play Joplin, which really proves how powerful music is because Joplin was born a few years after the end of the Civil War.
>

> > Andrew
>

> Well i guess i came out swinging! But its strange that we have these problems when we actually have piano rolls of the period of these composers playing their own pieces - that's not to say that we have to do them that way only that its good and helpful to know -- any music that is composed from the bottom up i. e. jazz, ragtime, baroque tends to have a flexible melodic top - how much is interpretive - what DRIVES ME CRAZY is the inflexible rules that people put to historical music as if they have joplin's or dowland's email address. Any historical performance has to come form years of listening to absorb a style and not just a series of memorized rules - YIKES there i am swinging again - time to go back into my home under the bridge

Some folks consider themselves privy to absolute truth - they are not to be argued with, since they are never wrong, and the matters they concern themselves with are not subject to discussion. For a number of examples, look no further than Capitol Hill, or Faux News.

Andrew Schulman

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:56:58 PM UTC-4, Curmudgeon wrote:
> Some folks consider themselves privy to absolute truth - they are not to be argued with...

Curm, I'm happy to hear you finally admit that.

Andrew

Andrew Schulman

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:56:58 PM UTC-4, Curmudgeon wrote:
> Some folks consider themselves privy to absolute truth - they are not to be argued with...

Curm, I'm happy to hear you finally admit that.

Andrew

Andrew Schulman

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:06:14 PM UTC-4, Jerry Willard wrote:what DRIVES ME CRAZY is the inflexible rules that people put to historical music as if they have joplin's or dowland's email address...

Please keep this confidential:

joplin_mr.ivory@ gmail.con
lutes.r.us.jdowland@gmail.con

Andrew

jdwillard1

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:54:17 PM UTC-4, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> On Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:06:14 PM UTC-4, Jerry Willard wrote:what DRIVES ME CRAZY is the inflexible rules that people put to historical music as if they have joplin's or dowland's email address...
>

> Please keep this confidential:
>

> joplin_mr.ivory@ gmail.con
>
> lutes.r.us.jdowland@gmail.con
>

> Andrew

funny when i used these emails the accts were all closed due to excessive spam from some guy named AS mmmmm?

tombrown@jhu.edu

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:47:59 AM UTC-4, Jerry Willard wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:18:32 PM UTC-4, Jerry Willard wrote:
>
> > I'm working on a all Joplin guitar ragtime book for Music Sales Corp - here's a sample one of Joplin most beautiful rags that was a collaboration between Louis Chauvin & Scott Joplin
>

> > https://soundcloud.com/jerry-willard/heliotrope-bouquet-s...
>

> Actually to swing or not to swing has always been the discussion with these rags - the jury is still way out on this - let us not forget Sir Thomas Beecham's famous maxim that a musicologist is a person that can read music but can't hear it -
>

> here are a few of Joplin piano rolls
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M...
>
> and there are many others
>

> sounds pretty swingy to me
>

> i use a mixture of the swing and not swing much the same way i would play french baroque music - trying to keep flexible not the music is not ALWAYS predictable
>

> Jerry

Only that first link is an SJ performance. The other two are not.

jdwillard1

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:48:05 PM UTC-4, thomas wrote:
> On Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:47:59 AM UTC-4, Jerry Willard wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:18:32 PM UTC-4, Jerry Willard wrote:
>

> > > I'm working on a all Joplin guitar ragtime book for Music Sales Corp - here's a sample one of Joplin most beautiful rags that was a collaboration between Louis Chauvin & Scott Joplin

> > > https://soundcloud.com/jerry-willard/heliotrope-bouquet-s...
>

> > Actually to swing or not to swing has always been the discussion with these rags - the jury is still way out on this - let us not forget Sir Thomas Beecham's famous maxim that a musicologist is a person that can read music but can't hear it -
>

> > here are a few of Joplin piano rolls
>

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r...
>

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f...
>

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M...
>

> > and there are many others
>

> > sounds pretty swingy to me
>

> > i use a mixture of the swing and not swing much the same way i would play french baroque music - trying to keep flexible not the music is not ALWAYS predictable
>

> > Jerry
>

> Only that first link is an SJ performance. The other two are not.

Youre right i did it in a hurry

heres one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p...

do a you tube search there are many - thanks for pointing that out