comp.lang.python

Help with python shell

cb meeks

1/16/2008 6:22:00 PM

I just upgraded my Python install up to version 2.5.1 (from 2.4.x)
using source code and compiling.

Everything went fine until I enter the command line mode and press any
arrow keys.

When I press UP arrow, I was getting my previous command as always but
now I get: ^[[A

What can I do to fix this??

Thanks!

cbmeeks
4 Answers

Diez B. Roggisch

cbmeeks schrieb:
> I just upgraded my Python install up to version 2.5.1 (from 2.4.x)
> using source code and compiling.
>
> Everything went fine until I enter the command line mode and press any
> arrow keys.
>
> When I press UP arrow, I was getting my previous command as always but
> now I get: ^[[A
>
> What can I do to fix this??

Compiling with readline support? I guess that's missing.

Diez

cb meeks

On Jan 16, 1:33 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de...@nospam.web.de> wrote:
> cbmeeks schrieb:
>
> > I just upgraded my Python install up to version 2.5.1 (from 2.4.x)
> > using source code and compiling.
>
> > Everything went fine until I enter the command line mode and press any
> > arrow keys.
>
> > When I press UP arrow, I was getting my previous command as always but
> > now I get: ^[[A
>
> > What can I do to fix this??
>
> Compiling with readline support? I guess that's missing.
>
> Diez

I tried ./configure --enable-readline but that didn't do the trick.
ARG!! This is annoying.

Diez B. Roggisch

cbmeeks schrieb:
> On Jan 16, 1:33 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de...@nospam.web.de> wrote:
>> cbmeeks schrieb:
>>
>>> I just upgraded my Python install up to version 2.5.1 (from 2.4.x)
>>> using source code and compiling.
>>> Everything went fine until I enter the command line mode and press any
>>> arrow keys.
>>> When I press UP arrow, I was getting my previous command as always but
>>> now I get: ^[[A
>>> What can I do to fix this??
>> Compiling with readline support? I guess that's missing.
>>
>> Diez
>
> I tried ./configure --enable-readline but that didn't do the trick.
> ARG!! This is annoying.

You don't just need to enable it - the readline lib needs to be
installed, including the possible devel-package (If you are under linux)
for the headers.

Diez

cb meeks

On Jan 16, 2:35 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de...@nospam.web.de> wrote:
> cbmeeks schrieb:

> >> Compiling with readline support? I guess that's missing.
>
> >> Diez
>
> > I tried ./configure --enable-readline but that didn't do the trick.
> > ARG!! This is annoying.
>
> You don't just need to enable it - the readline lib needs to be
> installed, including the possible devel-package (If you are under linux)
> for the headers.
>
> Diez

That worked!

I had to install readline-devel and rebuild with --enable-readline

Thanks!!!!!

cbmeeks
http://codersh...